Album 13: Mirror mirror on the wall, there's no album so let's just talk y'all

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow they're in the studio again. Exciting news! Not

I actually think it IS great news. They're hard at work in the studio finishing it instead of appearing here and there doing something else.

They've been quiet since the oscars and should until official announcement, which in my opinion is much better at this point...

They got harrassed for the past year (with reason) by the media and fans about the status of the album, they learned their lesson :

Less talk and more action :wink:

Last edited:
Good one! That was a nice way they ended that album. :up:

:lol: Bono has spoiled us all.

I downloaded that second album Dos recently. It's pretty decent. And I listened to Uno online a bunch of times. These albums are okay but I still prefer even 20th Century Breakdown to them, let alone the very enjoyable American Idiot.

Still, it is extremely frustrating when U2 takes this long! Shit... not saying they should deliver 3 quickfire albums like Green Day with lots of filler. But how long does it take to finish 12 songs?? What's the point in perfecting over-cooking the songs when they are gonna end up like Boots or SUC?

AI was always a favorite. Along with that Bullet In A Bible dvd/cd set. :up:
I liked most of 20th Century but didn't "fall in love" with it the way I thought I would. And as for the 3 album set? Gave 'em a listen and never even remembered a thing. Might have to give all 3 another go, though. Not like there's anything else going on at the mo'.

I seriously read that as One Direction and was thinking in my head "Bono! WTF, man??!!" :lmao:

:lol::lol: Wow. Just wow. The thought of Bono at a One Direction concert.... :giggle:

she's definitely got something up her sleeve. I had a feeling it was Madonna.

and if it is.. her promo strategy could tell us something about how Guy plans to approach U2

I thought Madonna already announced an album though? If I remember that iTunes article correctly, it sounded more like the artist would be announcing soon and then pushing the 'exclusive' iTunes release via social media. :hmm:

I actually think it IS great news. They're hard at work in the studio finishing it instead of appearing here and there doing something else.

They've been quiet since the oscars and should until official announcement, which in my opinion is much better at this point...

They got harrassed for the past year (with reason) by the media and fans about the status of the album, they learned their lesson :

Less talk and more action :wink:

Them being in the studio means nothing to me these days. There's always a chance they'll change their mind about what they've recorded...and then guess what? They're back in the studio again! And again. And again and again... The only thing that will get me excited is an actual release date. When the album shows up on ITunes or Amazon I'll be convinced.

Them being in the studio means nothing to me these days. There's always a chance they'll change their mind about what they've recorded...and then guess what? They're back in the studio again! And again. And again and again... The only thing that will get me excited is an actual release date. When the album shows up on ITunes or Amazon I'll be convinced.

This. For all we know, they could be recording something for another *ahem* "special" project that has absolutely fuck-all to do with the album. There was a time when news of these four guys being in the studio was enough to make a rabid fan salivate like a Pavlov dog. Now, it's more a case of "Really? They're still in there twiddling their knobs? Okey dokey. Whatever."

This. For all we know, they could be recording something for another *ahem* "special" project that has absolutely fuck-all to do with the album. There was a time when news of these four guys being in the studio was enough to make a rabid fan salivate like a Pavlov dog. Now, it's more a case of "Really? They're still in there twiddling their knobs? Okey dokey. Whatever."

Or having a sword-fest...Wait...what ? :crack:

It all makes sense now...

DM being out of the game

Rumour has it that Epworth is immensely gifted by nature... :hmm:

Who will win this ?

Last edited:
U2 is not a band anymore. That's why it's taking so long. 12 songs in 5 years? Come on.

U2 is not a band anymore. That's why it's taking so long. 12 songs in 5 years? Come on.

Yeah, this is pretty much right. They're not a band anymore, not really. I used to think that at some point they became a part time band, at best, but now I think even that's a bit optimistic.

Bono, The Edge, Larry and Adam are four guys who have known each other a long time, who used to be in a band together called U2, and now occasionally get together and try to record songs, and ultimately tour. But now it's all akin to having retired but occasionally showing up at the old office to do a little work. Being U2 is clearly no longer their priority or purpose, and probably hasn't been for sometime. U2 is something that makes them a lot of money and enables Bono to continue to go to places like Davos every year and be listened to. If U2 were inspired, by anything, and felt compelled to create music and art, really compelled as artists are, it would not be five years between records. When the art and music is inside you, it's bursting to get out...and not a laborious and necessary task, as it appears to have become for them. When the art is inside you, it doesn't have to be tinkered with and homogenised by multiple producers until it's just right for public consumption.

Even though I continue to have a great deal of affection for U2 and their music, they're really not a rock band anymore. And that's fine, it's perfectly normal for them to have other priorities at this point in their lives. But these days I'd describe U2 more as a "project" and less of a band.

AI was always a favorite. Along with that Bullet In A Bible dvd/cd set. :up:
I liked most of 20th Century but didn't "fall in love" with it the way I thought I would. And as for the 3 album set? Gave 'em a listen and never even remembered a thing. Might have to give all 3 another go, though. Not like there's anything else going on at the mo'.

:lol::lol: Wow. Just wow. The thought of Bono at a One Direction concert.... :giggle:

I thought Madonna already announced an album though? If I remember that iTunes article correctly, it sounded more like the artist would be announcing soon and then pushing the 'exclusive' iTunes release via social media. :hmm:

There's been no album announcement.. just some talk about her working with avicii, on twitter.

And the that promo image yesterday, on instagram

Yeah, this is pretty much right. They're not a band anymore, not really. I used to think that at some point they became a part time band, at best, but now I think even that's a bit optimistic.

Bono, The Edge, Larry and Adam are four guys who have known each other a long time, who used to be in a band together called U2, and now occasionally get together and try to record songs, and ultimately tour. But now it's all akin to having retired but occasionally showing up at the old office to do a little work. Being U2 is clearly no longer their priority or purpose, and probably hasn't been for sometime. U2 is something that makes them a lot of money and enables Bono to continue to go to places like Davos every year and be listened to. If U2 were inspired, by anything, and felt compelled to create music and art, really compelled as artists are, it would not be five years between records. When the art and music is inside you, it's bursting to get out...and not a laborious and necessary task, as it appears to have become for them. When the art is inside you, it doesn't have to be tinkered with and homogenised by multiple producers until it's just right for public consumption.

Even though I continue to have a great deal of affection for U2 and their music, they're really not a rock band anymore. And that's fine, it's perfectly normal for them to have other priorities at this point in their lives. But these days I'd describe U2 more as a "project" and less of a band.

Great post :up:

But I would argue they are more like a "part time" band than anything else, I don't think for the most part, U2 is #1 on any of there lists of priorities anymore unfortunately. I accept that and also I accept the fact they thought the DM material wasn't all that great and needed to be reworked.

I tend to lean toward U2 not really a band anymore, more a Brand.

And maybe that's part of our problem. They have other priorities and we're expecting them to be a band...get in studio and hammer out some songs.

But now they have to live up to their own standards. It has to be a masterpiece or they're failures!!!

So they record when they can, but no there's never a rush.

They could still release an album every 3 or 4 years if they were not paralyzed by fear of failure.

I tend to lean toward U2 not really a band anymore, more a Brand.

And maybe that's part of our problem. They have other priorities and we're expecting them to be a band...get in studio and hammer out some songs.

But now they have to live up to their own standards. It has to be a masterpiece or they're failures!!!

So they record when they can, but no there's never a rush.

It probably is our problem, and some of us are likely expecting too much. We'll hear the music whenever it's released, if it's released, and see them in concert when they tour, if they tour. But anything they're doing now is essentially a coda to their main body of work. Does anyone really think that greatness can come out of all these years of false starts, tentative steps and multiple producers? Does anyone really think that's how great music is created? No amount of rationalising or excuse making can get around the fact that, if U2 had the goods, we'd have a record. They are clearly stuck. Or really just aren't into it. Either way, it doesn't make for great art.

That said, the do continue to occasionally play at being in a band by being the world's best cover band of themselves...e.g. the Fallon appearance. So the expectations we have of them are not entirely the fan's fault.

It probably is our problem, and some of us are likely expecting too much. We'll hear the music whenever it's released, if it's released, and see them in concert when they tour, if they tour. But anything they're doing now is essentially a coda to their main body of work. Does anyone really think that greatness can come out of all these years of false starts, tentative steps and multiple producers? Does anyone really think that's how great music is created? No amount of rationalising or excuse making can get around the fact that, if U2 had the goods, we'd have a record. They are clearly stuck. Or really just aren't into it. Either way, it doesn't make for great art.

Again, a masterpiece is a debatable concept. When they recorded the Joshua Tree and Acthung baby, they never KNEW or said when it came out, this is it folks, this is what we'll be remembered for. They probably think this about every record they put out.

Whatever they're trying to achieve right now is irrelevant. They are justifying this for themselves not the fans or anyone else...

Since U2 is at "Church" studios, will God walk in the room this time?

Only if they pray real hard...:pray:

On a serious note, maybe the 'electronica' feel of Invisible (drum machine mostly) had them re-thinking that approach. I mean it's kinda cool, but also kinda kills the 'band' feel at the same time. Both new songs have flat, boring drum parts. OL is a basic drum track that a 5 y.o. could play, it serves the song, I guess, but just seems so boring per Larry's playing. Invisible, he's barely there...:hmm:

They could still release an album every 3 or 4 years if they were not paralyzed by fear of failure.

I'm not sure it's so much "fear of failure" that's the problem, more of a hideously overblown ego that they must always feed. It's not enough that they have a loyal fanbase that must literally run into the millions worldwide to keep them satisfied. They have to crack new lucrative markets (read: twentysomethings) or it's a no-go for them. They need to be as sure as they can be that the album will shift at least 10m units. Sales projections for tickets and merchandise must be met and exceeded. U2 are arguably more of a global product now than they've ever been.

Again, a masterpiece is a debatable concept.

What does this even mean? Both the records you mentioned are widely regarded as masterpieces...no serious person could debate that. If whatever record they manage to cobble together is good enough to become widely regarded as a masterpiece, well then more power to them. I hope it is a masterpiece.

When they recorded the Joshua Tree and Acthung baby, they never KNEW or said when it came out, this is it folks, this is what we'll be remembered for.

Well, yeah. That kind of goes to my point.

Whatever they're trying to achieve right now is irrelevant.

Huh? Irrelevant to who?

They are justifying this for themselves not the fans or anyone else...

Whatever would give you that idea? Where are you getting this? Something tells me, if that didn't care what the "fans or anyone else" thought, we'd have a record right now. U2 probably care more about what the fans and everyone else thinks than any other major band I've ever seen.

What does this even mean? Both the records you mentioned are widely regarded as masterpieces...no serious person could debate that.

Exactly, I don't dispute that. My point was that if their goal is to record another 'masterpiece' it will be up to the fans/critics to determine that and the ensuing success it gets.

Well, yeah. That kind of goes to my point.

:up:

Huh? Irrelevant to who?

to me :wink:

Whatever would give that idea? Where are you getting this? Something tells me, if that didn't care what the "fans or anyone else" thought, we'd have a record right now.

That is very true and add their immense collective ego in the equation on top of that.

U2 probably care more about what the fans and everyone else thinks than any other major band I've ever seen.

Again, you are right

Back
Top Bottom