Album 13: Arguing/Punning/Meme-ing/Discussion thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not according to Interference. IIRC it's not even in the Top 10, and was even beaten out by some b-sides.

Digitize?

Seriously, does every post need an "IMO" after it for people to get that they're stating their own opinion?

"One" probably isn't the problem. I think it suffers from being crowded by other end-of-the-set BIG MOMENTS. You probably shouldn't have a set that wraps up with Walk On and One and MOS.

The reason I stated One needs a rest is because like many have said, they've haven't played a inspiring version since Popmart.

U2 has many songs that could fit the 'One' placement in the setlist (encore, last song of main set):

-MOS
-All I Want Is You
-Bad
-Wild Horses
-Kite
-Red Light
-WOWY
-Running to Stand Still

Walk On was very mediocre last tour :(

Kidding about Red Light

Completely understandable (and acceptable): Playing One, SBS and Pride every night. Even though I haven't heard an inspired performance of any of those songs in a long, long time.

Completely inexplicable (and unacceptable): Not playing New Years Day every night. I can't remember a time when I heard U2 perform that song and thought "that wasn't very good". It's always damn good. Also could be included: Bad. While it's longer and takes up a larger chunk of the set, and while sometimes it kind of drags along - when it HITS - it hits as well as any other song in the set not named Streets.

There are a few others I could mention. Gloria, Out Of Control. etc. There are some songs they nail practically every time. While fucking Stuck In A Moment or In A Little While somehow manages to drag the whole show down (for me).

P.S.
They should bring back full-band Desire.

-All I Want Is You
-WOWY
-Running to Stand Still

There's three more right there. Those songs should absolutely be played every night but especially WOWY. And especially if they're going to be playing some embarrassing clunker like In A Little While. I understand why they don't always play RTSS, but it's another one like NYD, try to think of the last time they played it and you thought it wasn't very good.

Granted, I don't go to tons of shows (and never have) and haven't listened to bootlegs since the 90's. This is just a general feeling.

Seriously, please play Stay full band.

:up:

This. One of my favorite versions of Stay is the ZooTV version. It's heartbreakingly beautiful.

I have always thought Exit should make a return.

:faint: I was watching R&H yesterday and found myself LONGING for it. It's one of my favorite U2 tracks but yet it's on that list of "never seen in person". I would whole-heartedly support this. Especially if they had an epic light show behind it.

here come the dream setlists...
Considering they pulled out ZOOROPA on 360, I think we are more than permitted to dream out loud. :wink:

Interesting. Can someone tell me what they mean by an "inspired" One? At this point, with as many times as they've played these songs, I would imagine the 516th performance of *insert song* can only be so "inspired."

I'd rank the performances of One by tour as follows:
1) Elevation
2) 360
3) ZooTV
4) Popmart
5) Vertigo

To me, the song has only gotten more powerful over time, for the most part. I hope they never drop it. In fact, drop ANYTHING else- Streets, WOWY, SBS- over One. Except maybe Beautiful Day.

:shrug:

The performance of Exit on the Joshua Tree Paris DVD is one of the best performances of any song by any band ever.

Sent from my C6602 using U2 Interference mobile app

I bet ASOH returns. Before the 360 tour began I was thinking how cool it would be if UF returned, and low and behold they brought it back for 360.

I bet ASOH returns. Before the 360 tour began I was thinking how cool it would be if UF returned, and low and behold they brought it back for 360.

This. UF is a classic and ASOH has to be heard live again in this life. From where did we start talking about setlists?

Hollow Island makes a good point, a rotation of the war horses could do well to please most in a utilitarian way by having plenty of the greatest hits but not taking up so many slots as to be the same show over and over to the hardcore fans. Plus it leaves room for the new material, which if they forgo in favor of more greatest hits they'd be breaking their own principle for touring based on material they're excited about rather than just selling tickets on old glory.

A key point in the 'drop WOWY/One' argument though... a lot of people only go to one show. The people that see multiple ones are usually in the minority, so rotating still only pleases a fraction of the audience. And even if there's a show-to-show rotation, there's still going to be songs that we'd prefer to hear at the "other" show. There's still going to be something to nitpick, regardless.

Interesting. Can someone tell me what they mean by an "inspired" One? At this point, with as many times as they've played these songs, I would imagine the 516th performance of *insert song* can only be so "inspired."

1) Elevation
2) 360
3) ZooTV
4) Popmart
5) Vertigo

To me, the song has only gotten more powerful over time, for the most part. I hope they never drop it. In fact, drop ANYTHING else- Streets, WOWY, SBS- over One. Except maybe Beautiful Day.

:shrug: disagree, I think it was at its peak on Zoo TV because it was "fresh" then obviously.

I do not think it has become worse over time. I think it is just sort of there for every other tour. A good song that they perform well, but not with the energy of 92/93.

The songs that have become tiresome completely are SBS, Pride and NY Day. They slog through those songs and have since 92 "IMO" ;)

Not according to Interference. IIRC it's not even in the Top 10, and was even beaten out by some b-sides.

Digitize?

It came in 34th place on Rate the Song two years ago.

By my proprietary "reliability" format, it came in 90th place.

"Red Hill Mining Town"... although I seem to recall way back when that Bono had problems hitting the high notes. If true, I guess it doesn't stand a chance now.

:shrug: disagree, I think it was at its peak on Zoo TV because it was "fresh" then obviously.

I do not think it has become worse over time. I think it is just sort of there for every other tour. A good song that they perform well, but not with the energy of 92/93.

The songs that have become tiresome completely are SBS, Pride and NY Day. They slog through those songs and have since 92 "IMO" ;)

and.... this :up:

The end part of One where Bono sings something like "Here We Come Lord......." I can't remember the exact lyrics after that but then goes into Unchained Melody is awe inspiring.

Streets is never getting dropped. That is the Holy Grail of U2 songs and it is literally "when God walks through the room". I don't care how casual or hardcore you are, that song literally moves mountains.

This.

PS. I love that we are already bitching about potential setlists!

:D It's better than arguing about the new album, for now at least. (And yes to ASOH as well. I'd be curious to see what they do to 'revamp' it.)

Agreed, but I would put God Part II ahead of it.
:faint: Oh god, here. Here. JUST TAKE MY MONEY, U2.
And my heart. Rip it out of my chest and just give it to Adam. He owns it already anyways. I don't need it. Really.

1) Elevation
2) 360
3) ZooTV
4) Popmart
5) Vertigo

It's funny you say this, I don't mind them playing One because I think they still do a good job playing it, if they ever dropped Streets I don't think I would feel I went to a U2 show - it's in my top 5 U2 songs and I think it's one of the best rock songs of all time. It's a very interesting song, I have a couple friends who play lead guitar in differing bands (one a speed metal band and the other a jazz type band), and both of them agree that the song is structured so differently and unique they both agree to love this song. They both don't like U2 that much but think The Edge hit it out of the park on that one.

"Where the Streets Have No Name" is the perfect opening song. I am not sure I want them opening every show of every tour with that song, but I'd be 100% okay with them bringing it back as the opening song of this next tour.

It took me 12 Springsteen shows before I finally got to see him play Thunder Road.

It didn't diminsh the experiences... it only made it all the more special when it was played. On the flip side, he's played Badlands at all 14 shows I've attended, and it's a highlight every time.

A song like One getting a little breather isn't necessarily a bad thing. Streets, on the other hand, should never leave.

U2's catalog is do incredibly deep. I hope that one day they decide to explore it more robustly in a live setting. The key word is hope. I certainly do not expect it.

Sent from my android cause iphones are for old people

It took me 12 Springsteen shows before I finally got to see him play Thunder Road.

Really? Wow. The odds must not have been in your favor. I think I have seen him roll that one out at most every show I attended. Hopefully it was the full band version you saw.

My all time favorite song is MW. My first U2 show? They didn't do it. I had to wait four years to get it. And when I did? Heaven on earth. Mr CK even had the good sense to take my camera and film it for me. And then I lucked out and got it on ALL my 360 shows.

Flipside: Mr CK's always wanted to see Bad. It took him a PopMart show, a Vertigo one, and THREE 360 shows to finally land it in Pittsburgh during the encore.

It's just the luck of the draw with a band like U2 who has nearly four decades of material to pull from. That said, Streets needs to be there every night for the rest of their lives. :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom