Album 13: Arguing/Punning/Meme-ing/Discussion thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry but other than how Bono sings "oh god could not deny her" on the album Moment Of Surrender is a snoozer and it was obvious when people headed to the exit by the masses during the concerts... last song excuse or not.

Oh finally. I was afraid I'd have to say it.

The only reason I stayed through it was because I have a policy of Not. Leaving. Adam. :whistle:

I still maintain to this day that Moment of Surrender was the obvious choice for lead single and was the only one that would have had the effect they intended the album to have. Most bands can't get 7-minute songs played on radio. U2 could have, and had the opportunity with a GOOD 7-minute song.

Yep yep yep. Brian Eno was dead right on that one (I think).

Well there's no accounting for taste.

Clearly.

No. That song is such a heartbreaker. God, what a song. They would have had to do a radio edit to get it under six minutes but really I think that one belongs right up in the pantheon and if people had heard it on the radio with fresh ears it might have gone down that way.

My prediction, album will be called invisible! They should keep it to one word titles not these crazy long titles we've had the last three albums

I can't help but notice that you're talking about the new album and not your thoughts on what SHOULD have been the lead single of No Line... :wink:

I'm sorry but other than how Bono sings "oh god could not deny her" on the album Moment Of Surrender is a snoozer and it was obvious when people headed to the exit by the masses during the concerts... last song excuse or not.

With an audience somewhere around 80,000 each night, there was often a flood of early exiters, and it wasn't always just during MOS, or because of it. Rather, folks were just trying to get ahead of the crush of people leaving at the end. Get a spot on the bus or subway, beat traffic, that sort of thing. I spent over an hour walking slowly in a massive rainstorm trying to get out of the first Montreal show, having waited till the end. Good memories, actually. It was hard to not notice all the folks leaving early, but hey.. The second night it started during Ultraviolet, so definitely no counting for taste.

I still maintain to this day that Moment of Surrender was the obvious choice for lead single and was the only one that would have had the effect they intended the album to have. Most bands can't get 7-minute songs played on radio. U2 could have, and had the opportunity with a GOOD 7-minute song.

This :up:

I know this will go over like a turd in the punch bowl I think MOS is the best song off of the last few albums. Obviously it seems my taste is a bit different than most here, being that I can't stand boots, there's a personal almost confessional air to Bono's lyrics to the song and the wayhe sings it. It really should be a rule you can't post on here after liquid lunch!

This :up:

I know this will go over like a turd in the punch bowl I think MOS is the best song off of the last few albums. Obviously it seems my taste is a bit different than most here, being that I can't stand boots, there's a personal almost confessional air to Bono's lyrics to the song and the wayhe sings it. It really should be a rule you can't post on here after liquid lunch!

I think you've made it ridiculously clear that you hate Boots already.

No. That song is such a heartbreaker. God, what a song. They would have had to do a radio edit to get it under six minutes but really I think that one belongs right up in the pantheon and if people had heard it on the radio with fresh ears it might have gone down that way.

I think you misunderstood me.

I think MOS is one of U2's three best songs, and inarguably their best song since Streets. And yes, it goes without saying it should have been the first single, and is the only song on that record that could have changed the perception of NLOTH.

All of this is non-debatable.

I think you've made it ridiculously clear that you hate Boots already.

Really, you understand how much I do? Once again I am placing a moratorium on myself not to talk about this song.... but I am leaving it up to you vlad to post any/all negative comments for me concerning this raucous, rollicking tune. :wink:

Moment Of Surrender is a steaming pile of boredom.

umareyouill.gif

Moment Of Surrender is a steaming pile of boredom.

Not that it bears any relevance, but I agree with this statement 100%. If the new album is twelve tracks of this kind of material, I'll know for sure the band's best days are behind them and they should probably hang it up soon.

Not that it bears any relevance, but I agree with this statement 100%. If the new album is twelve tracks of this kind of material, I'll know for sure the band's best days are behind them and they should probably hang it up soon.

Indeed, but an album of songs in the style of Hold Me, Thrill Me.... would be orgasmic. Even though that's nearly 20 years ago....

Indeed, but an album of songs in the style of Hold Me, Thrill Me.... would be orgasmic. Even though that's nearly 20 years ago....

Yep. Hit the nail on the head. I like U2 the rock band, not U2 the adult-contemporary classics band.

It looks like none of Eno/Lanois/Lillywhite will have any involvement in this album. It would be the first album none of them are involved with since Pop, and only the second one ever if you count the Iovine-produced R&H.

Should be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom