Album 13: Are We Gonna Wait Forever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So just to continue on the Coldplay theme...:wink:

Today I happened to bump into Paul Epworth who was coming out of one of Coldplay's studios in North London (I work very close) I told him that I really liked his mix of Ordinary Love and asked if he was helping U2 on their new album right now? He said that he "had only been working on it with them for a short time" and before I could ask anything he said "I couldn't possibly give any insider information". He said that with a smile so I got the impression that perhaps, like we've been guessing about Dangermouse, he's sworn to secrecy at this stage. However, he did say that he was finishing up his work with Coldplay on their album which "would be released soon" but as for U2's, "No idea right now" :crack:

Thought this small, but genuine bit of news from yesterday might've received more response on here! :shrug:

Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned the C word! :wink:

Thought this small, but genuine bit of news from yesterday might've received more response on here! :shrug:

Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned the C word! :wink:

Thanks for the information Aardvark747. I've been hoping Epworth might finish off the remaining mixes soon so the album can be released.
:wave:

So, to sum up a bit about the studio team with the details we have so far:

Producer - Danger Mouse
Collaborators (Additional Producers?) - Paul Epworth, Ryan Tedder (HR article)
Additional Production, Additional playing - Declan Gaffney (OL credits)
Additional playing - Barry Gorey (OL)
Mixing - Tom Elmhirst (OL, Invisible - credits)

Did I miss anything?

Producer - Danger Mouse

Did I miss anything?

Inspiration - Chris Martin

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 because the Nexus 5 just wasn't big enough.

Producer - Danger Mouse

Did I miss anything?

Actually, the album is currently being re-produced by will.i.am.

And Questlove just replaced Larry. The latter had a breakdown dealing with electronic drums.

It wouldn't surprise me if Steve Lillywhite was brought in and be the cliched ''guy who got us to the finish line.'

Lillywhite has said repeatedly that he has nothing to do with the project. I doubt he'll come in at this late of a date. Besides, Bono's in LA today, was in DC yesterday....that doesnt sound like someone who's still "in the studio". Edge is playing with the final mixes if anything. :up:

Edge is on holiday in Switzerland, Bono in L.A., work in Dublin can still wait. :) 1 week and all again in L.A. for the Oscars.

Maybe the mixing engineers are hard at work finishing the album? Maybe the band's recording work is done? Maybe that's why they've seemingly been everywhere the past couple months EXCEPT in a studio finishing the album?

I don't know how the creative/recording process works, I just can't see what takes YEARS to finish an album! I'm a guitar player, and I'm in a band that used to record original songs in a local, small time studio. If that's your only JOB, I don't see what can be so hard about getting to work, developing some songs and writing some lyrics, and then recording it. Especially if you have a producer there to motivate and make suggestions. The problem is U2 are rich and not really hungry for it anymore, and take vacations for months on end.

I must say as a disclaimer: I REALIZE MY BAND IS NOT ANYTHING NEAR U2, OUR SONGS ARE NOT AS GOOD AS U2'S SONGS, AND OUR BAND MEMBERS ARE NOWHERE NEAR AS TALENTED AS U2!!! This was all 5-10 years ago, when we still cared about writing songs. Now we're 30-somethings with no time for all that, we practice once a month, and play covers in bars for fun.

Maybe the mixing engineers are hard at work finishing the album? Maybe the band's recording work is done? Maybe that's why they've seemingly been everywhere the past couple months EXCEPT in a studio finishing the album?

I don't know how the creative/recording process works, I just can't see what takes YEARS to finish an album! I'm a guitar player, and I'm in a band that used to record original songs in a local, small time studio. If that's your only JOB, I don't see what can be so hard about getting to work, developing some songs and writing some lyrics, and then recording it. Especially if you have a producer there to motivate and make suggestions. The problem is U2 are rich and not really hungry for it anymore, and take vacations for months on end.

I must say as a disclaimer: I REALIZE MY BAND IS NOT ANYTHING NEAR U2, OUR SONGS ARE NOT AS GOOD AS U2'S SONGS, AND OUR BAND MEMBERS ARE NOWHERE NEAR AS TALENTED AS U2!!! This was all 5-10 years ago, when we still cared about writing songs. Now we're 30-somethings with no time for all that, we practice once a month, and play covers in bars for fun.

Recording is obviously not Bono's only job at this point. I agree the age plays a factor. They've got other priorities. But these guys are clearly still hungry for it. I think it's because they are so hungry for it that it takes them a while now.

I don't know about you guys, but I am sick of hearing Oscar hype about "Ordinary Love". For some reason, there is so much focus on the song that it seems to be the last barrier before we hear any fresh and concrete news about the new album. U2 get it over with so you can spill the beans and give us an album title/release date ! :angry:

The Oscars are next week. The hype about ALL the nominees is getting to the point where it is nauseating.

That said, ONE MORE WEEK. :hyper:

Then we get another FULL BAND PERFORMANCE/APPEARANCE and if we're really lucky, they'll win and we'll get another acceptance speech. Preferably where all four of them actually contribute, much like the GGs. :pray:

After that, game on. :up:

Haven't heard a thing about the Oscars here, nor do I give a damn about them. I just hope we get an album within half a year.

Dream Set List for upcoming tour :

- Shadows And Tall Trees
- I Threw A Brick Through A Window
- The Refugee
- The Ocean
- Bass Trap
- A Sort Of Homecoming
- Trip Through Your Wire
- God Part II
- The Playboy Mansion (guest Miley Cirrus)
- Wild Honey (acoustic)
- Crumbs From Your Table
- Fast Cars (acoustic w/Larry on tambourine)
- The Wanderer (w/ Johnny Cash hologram)
- Cedars Of Lebanon (vocal guest Jay-Z)

Just Kidding ! :lol:

Haven't heard a thing about the Oscars here, nor do I give a damn about them. I just hope we get an album within half a year.

I'm with you. I never paid any attention to the Oscars before, and I really haven't this year either. If U2 wins, good for them, but I hate how the album has been delayed in order to made room for U2's quest to win an Oscar. They've said that the album was delayed because of OL and the soundtrack. I truly believe they felt it was important to honor Nelson Mandela, and that was their main reason for doing the song/film. However, you can't tell me that U2 don't want to win an Oscar BADLY, and saw this as their opportunity to do so. I'll be surprised if they don't win. Very popular band writes a semi-good/decent song based around a film about one of the great world leaders of the last century, who happened to pass away in roughly the same timeframe. Again, I'm not completely cynical in thinking that U2 is trying to cash in on Mandela's death or anything like that. They just see an opportunity to win an Oscar AND honor a great man that they admired at the same time, and they're taking it: ALBUM BE DAMNED!

Dream Set List for upcoming tour :

- Shadows And Tall Trees
- I Threw A Brick Through A Window
- The Refugee
- The Ocean
- Bass Trap
- A Sort Of Homecoming
- Trip Through Your Wire
- God Part II
- The Playboy Mansion (guest Miley Cirrus)
- Wild Honey (acoustic)
- Crumbs From Your Table
- Fast Cars (acoustic w/Larry on tambourine)
- The Wanderer (w/ Johnny Cash hologram)
- Cedars Of Lebanon (vocal guest Jay-Z)

Just Kidding ! :lol:

This would be mildly entertaining.

Why? Not that I personally care either. Just curious.

I mentioned it before...I don't think these pop songs that are tacked on to the end credits of a film should be eligible. I'd rather see songs nominated that were actually sung as part of the story of the film...or at a minimum, something that was played during the film itself that made an artistic contribution to the story. "Let it Go" plays a crucial role in Frozen and is a big part of the story. Other than U2 saying the song is about Mandela (a dubious claim IMO) the song contributes absolutely nothing to that movie, and in fact the movie would play exactly the same (but for the credits) without the song. So how does that add to the film at all? I don't know, that's kind of lame to me, and not fair to the artists who actually worked at making a piece of music that was part of a film's story and contributed to the final on-screen product in a meaningful away.

The way U2's song is being considered, it's more like a Grammy...an award for the song itself, but not how good it works in terms of the film. There really should be a distinction, and I actually hope that's something the Academy voters keep in mind, because while I like U2's song better than any of the other songs (I guess), I don't think they deserve to win (though they probably will).

Back
Top Bottom