After U2, who´s next?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
up until their latest offering Outkast could have been it

someone will probably stand up at some point,
but for sure none of the names here will be it

ozeeko said:
It seems the majority of people on this forum really have something against Radiohead.

:eyebrow: ever been to B&C?

as for this thread, Axver nailed it. no one will be U2. there is no new U2. just because Coldplay sounds like U2 doesn't mean they are the "new U2." people seem to be confused about that.

Originally posted by Salome
up until their latest offering Outkast could have been it

What's wrong with Idlewild? I admit I haven't listened to it a lot, but it's got some good songs on it. Definitely not their best album but it doesn't suck.

Outkast is probably the closest... they're the first band since The Beatles to knock their own number one song off the number one spot on the charts with another one of their own songs. That's impressive. and Aquemini is one of the greatest hip hop records ever. and they've been together for over a decade, so they've already proven that they're here to stay...it'll be interesting to see if they're still making music in 10 or 20 years, it's rare to see aging rappers.

oh Sandy Baaaaaaaby :drool:

no rap artist will ever gain the position of U2, btw.

Last edited:
AtomicBono said:
What's wrong with Idlewild? I admit I haven't listened to it a lot, but it's got some good songs on it. Definitely not their best album but it doesn't suck.
there's not much wrong with Idlewild, but to become anywhere near as big as they had the potential to become after Speakerbox/Love below (well Hey ya! really) - continuing the critical acclaim they had AND reaching a massive audience - they needed an album to at least have the same success at this stage of their career

that's what I think at least

Salome said:
there's not much wrong with Idlewild, but to become anywhere near as big as they had the potential to become after Speakerbox/Love below (well Hey ya! really) - continuing the critical acclaim they had AND reaching a massive audience - they needed an album to at least have the same success at this stage of their career

that's what I think at least

yeah, I can see your point, but what about Rattle and Hum after Joshua Tree? it sold well but got slammed by the critics. if U2 hadn't have made AB they may have been down and out. one moderate album won't kill you; it's two crap records in a row that will

Idlewild was kind of a weird project. I like it, but the music was obviously connected so much with the movie... next album they can focus just on the music

the Beatles.......I hear their new album is supposed to be killer.

if not the Beatles, then Elvis b/c he has never left the building.

but everyone knows, U2 lives forever.

Thinking about it today, the thing with U2 is how the music imapcts not only on the album, but mostly live. I think that's what makes U2 the band they are. The catarthic (spell check anyone?) phenomenon a U2 show is.

No band will ever pull that off , at least for me. Funny thing, the band that comes close to having "it" (as bono says in U2BYU2) as of late is oasis. But they are A-holes, specially liam. they're last album was ok, but the two before that sucked. Plus they've changed lineups, so they should be called the gallaghers or something like that.

But, at least, noel is an amazing song writter. and if he would ditch his lame ass brother and start a band himself then it could happen i think. Wishful thinking.

coach said:
Funny thing, the band that comes close to having "it" (as bono says in U2BYU2) as of late is oasis. But they are A-holes, specially liam. they're last album was ok, but the two before that sucked. Plus they've changed lineups, so they should be called the gallaghers or something like that.

But, at least, noel is an amazing song writter. and if he would ditch his lame ass brother and start a band himself then it could happen i think. Wishful thinking.

Oasis is my second favorite still active band behind U2. You didn't like 'Standing on the Shoulders of Giants'? I loved that album. It stands out as different for them. I thought their last two albums were of similar sound, but both great. I saw them in concert for the first time this year and it was an awesome, pure rock and roll show! I wish people stateside would give Oasis a better listen. They would be entertained!!

the only band with a chance to be as "big" as u2 on a global level would be green day... but that's only if they can actually top what they did with american idiot, which will be very tough to do.

as far as a new and up and coming band? not gonna happen... no one will have the size and critical status that u2 has. the industry is too different. if u2 came out today, they'd have been dumped after october.

it's all a what have you done for me lately industry today... bands may put out music as good or better, but unless a radical change to the industry occurs, i just don't see someone being allowed the chance to mature naturally the way it happened with u2.

green day is good, but American Idiot was contrived and they're unable to speak coherently to the themes they know that their audience has been programmed to hear.

coldplay has the best shot, easily, because their lyrics are just confusing enough that they could be construed as universal (whereas a lot of U2's are). Also they can play, and Chris can sing, and they aren't the worst band of all time (Radiohead, ok not the worst, but not like fingernails on a chalkboard while you're trying to think of ways to kill yourself).

Oasis..... too self absorbed. Great talents, and very listenable. But really can't hold it together for more than a few months.

Foo Fighters was an interesting call.....

There's some potential there. Saw them acoustic and it was an awesome show.

It sure looks like all the bands with staying power have been made already. I really don't see any new bands sticking around long enough. The Music biz has changed drastically and the suits can't hang around long for the 2nd act. Seriously, when was the last time Radiohead came out with an album that the entire world gave a shit about. Like them or not, bands like Dave Matthews, Pearl Jam, Green Day and the Red Hot Chili Peppers are a dying breed.

believer75 said:

Oasis is my second favorite still active band behind U2. You didn't like 'Standing on the Shoulders of Giants'? I loved that album. It stands out as different for them. I thought their last two albums were of similar sound, but both great. I saw them in concert for the first time this year and it was an awesome, pure rock and roll show! I wish people stateside would give Oasis a better listen. They would be entertained!!
Ironically, their least loved albums are my fav ones... SITSOFG is my 2nd fav and Heathen Chemistry is my real fav one.

There will never be a band like U2 again. Just because everything changed. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying this because I only see and listen to U2. Quite the opposite actually. But a band like this is unique and very difficult to happen. Usually the bands that Europeans love are not very recognized in America and the contrary works too.

The Killers and Green Day simply don't have the potencial. The Killers are too alternative, I like their songs and I plan to see them live soon, but I don't think they have the charisma. I don't like Green Day that much and I don't thnik they will ever have the impact U2 has. The lyrics I know are weak (I may be wrong because I don't know that much about them) and I can't imagine them having world wide success.

Muse... Muse is my second favourite band so maybe I'm not the right person to talk about them. But as the previous ones I don't think they will ever have "the U2 impact" simply because their songs are too strong and heavy, their concerts are wild, not like the familly type U2 concerts were you can see childreen with their parents and grandparents. They have the charisma and they are amazing live, but they will never be like U2, they don't intend to (and I don't want them to:wink: )

Coldplay? Please...:huh:

No band is gonna be as GREAT as U2 is in the 21st century!

Maybe the new INXS (with JD. Fortune), the Radiohead and The Killers, Green Day and perhaps Arcade Fire can/will be very famous bands but they will not catch the level that U2 caught!

Coldplay???.... Ridicolous, they always wanted to copy U2's style..:madspit: :huh:

Last edited:
Mogi said:
U2 has been king of the mountain for quite a while. Probably the best band of our generation and top 5 of all time.
But when the curtain falls, who could take their place?
Coldplay, The Killers, The Arcade Fire?
Or possibly Muse?

I am wondering at this point if Muse could be on target to do so, even though they have such a small American audience.

While quite different than U2, they seem to have some things going in their favor:

1. a great amount of emotional and epic songs that beg to be played in front of a stadium crowd.

2. Quite political and thought provoking lyrics.

3. A definite progression of musical growth and maturity. ONly 4 albums and they probably have a catalog of about 20 songs that could be considered great.

4. Jaw-dropping live performances.

I´m not trying to carry the Muse flag or anything, just giving my take on it.

So any ideas?

Muse have been going the best part of 6/7 years. I remember buying their debut album when it came out. As good as they are, I don't think they can be called the next in line to the throne by any means.

If you ask me Radiohead were the closest. We'll soon know how much closer they get when they release their new album next year. The Bends and OK Computer are two of my favorite all time albums.

Back
Top Bottom