After U2, who´s next?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alright I guess what everyone means by "BIGGEST BAND" means being on par with U2, with a publicity-whore of a front man, that sells out arenas all over the world, and is egotistical and over confident. Whatever. We've already had Bono, and to be honest I don't want another Bono. I think Justin Timberlake has charisma and will sell out arenas, and is technically a better "performer" than Thom Yorke. But I find him boring. I find anyone boring who thinks they're the biggest. Bono's an exception. He's the only performer that can pull it off, in my opinion. I'm rambling.

ozeeko said:
Alright I guess what everyone means by "BIGGEST BAND" means being on par with U2, with a publicity-whore of a front man, that sells out arenas all over the world, and is egotistical and over confident. Whatever. We've already had Bono, and to be honest I don't want another Bono. I think Justin Timberlake has charisma and will sell out arenas, and is technically a better "performer" than Thom Yorke. But I find him boring. I find anyone boring who thinks they're the biggest. Bono's an exception. He's the only performer that can pull it off, in my opinion. I'm rambling.

No, you still don't get it.:|

There's a lot of in between from being Bono and not having a personality. And personality gives you that x factor that separates you from the other bands.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

No, you still don't get it.:|

There's a lot of in between from being Bono and not having a personality. And personality gives you that x factor that separates you from the other bands.

I totally get what your driving at. I do.

But does David Byrne from Talking Heads have a great personality? No. He's well known as having close to no personality. Yet he's still interesting to watch.

And The Eagles were one of the biggest bands at one time. But they lacked a definitive front man.

I'm just saying not everything has to follow a format. I think bands can be huge without the notrorious front man.

Arcade Fire of the original choices.

I think Franz Ferdinand could be even bigger, and I love them.

ozeeko said:

I totally get what your driving at. I do.

But does David Byrne from Talking Heads have a great personality? No. He's well known as having close to no personality. Yet he's still interesting to watch.

And The Eagles were one of the biggest bands at one time. But they lacked a definitive front man.

I'm just saying not everything has to follow a format. I think bands can be huge without the notrorious front man.

I agree. That's why I said, "it's not always about the front man".

Byrne had personality in his style, if it wasn't for video Talking Heads would have suffered.

Eagles gained "personality" due to the format of their band, and Henley had a pretty notorious personality.

I understand what you are saying as well, but I think you may be missing the big picture. Unfortunately music isn't the only thing people want. If it was, the video never would have exisisted, front row tickets wouldn't matter there would be no need for Rolling Stone or Spin.

We like the visual, the back story, the drama, etc... All of this gives a band the x factor.

Sometimes the x factor overshadows the music, that's unfortunate. But when you have both in balance you have one the greatest bands...

No frontman is more interesting to watch than Mick Jagger. the guy is something else.

xaviMF22 said:
sadly I think it will be Coldplay:reject:

They're the next Oasis.

The backlash off of X&Y was huge enough for them to take a long break. (2-3 years I'll say)

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I agree. That's why I said, "it's not always about the front man".

Byrne had personality in his style, if it wasn't for video Talking Heads would have suffered.

Eagles gained "personality" due to the format of their band, and Henley had a pretty notorious personality.

I understand what you are saying as well, but I think you may be missing the big picture. Unfortunately music isn't the only thing people want. If it was, the video never would have exisisted, front row tickets wouldn't matter there would be no need for Rolling Stone or Spin.

We like the visual, the back story, the drama, etc... All of this gives a band the x factor.

Sometimes the x factor overshadows the music, that's unfortunate. But when you have both in balance you have one the greatest bands...

I don't disagree with u on this issue.

The original argument was about Thom Yorke...and I'll still defend him being a good front-man. I mean, I find him interesting. To each his own.

LemonMacPhisto said:

They're the next Oasis.

The backlash off of X&Y was huge enough for them to take a long break. (2-3 years I'll say)

you may be onto something buddy:hmm:

however I still think that whatever they put out, there will be people out there that would buy it:shrug:

their next album better be much better than X&Y..otherwise they might go the way Oasis did

They need to stop working at a snails pace too.:tsk:

just give me another rush of blood:drool:

Last edited:
ozeeko said:

I don't disagree with u on this issue.

The original argument was about Thom Yorke...and I'll still defend him being a good front-man. I mean, I find him interesting. To each his own.

Cool. I love him as a musician, he just left me wanting more in all other aspects.

Different strokes...

LemonMelon said:

I think Franz Ferdinand could be even bigger, and I love them.

I'm with you on that one. They might not be U2, but they have the potential to get fans interested from all age groups, which to me is the biggest factor in becoming BIG. Coldplay dosnt seem to really do that too well imo...the same also goes for the Killers, Snow Patrol, they have a style that suits itself best for the younger generations that are used to their sound. U2, and Franz on a smaller scale, have a range of styles that adults as well as teens seem to pick up on.

time will tell...

The Raconteurs have the best shot. The musical talent is there and they are incredible live. This is not a side project for Jack White and he is the perfect darker edge front man for these times. Broken Boy Soldiers is the best debut album of the year.

Franz Ferdinand and their lead singer Alex Kapranos have great charisma and could have a shot. Both of their albums are inspired.

I enjoy Snow Patrol's music but their live show was a bit on the dull side.

Radiohead and their music is as interesting as watching and listening to my fingernails grow.

Oasis too pompous to be rock stars.

Muse. who?

The killers. who?

Coldplay. a tinsy winsy bit too feminine, even though i like their songs. Chris should give that Yorke fella a few tips on what an "actual" melody sounds like. i mean it's obvious the voices in ole Tommy boy's head is telling him he sounds great, but my bleeding ears say different.

Nirvana. i'm sorry you couldn't handle the fame, but then again you shouldn't have singed the damn record contract. it's not like you had no idea that in something called an "industry", money talks and bullshit walks.

Pearl Jam. same damn ting. you don't want the fame then don't sing the frigging contract. that's like winning the lottery and bitching about paying taxes. although these f**kers put on a damn good show. the ennergy is amazing.

REM. who knows what is going on with these blokes. get to the top then walk away. what next stipe? you win the lottery and
decide to give the money back?

Green Day. okay real punk rockers...........................ah crap what's the use?

in closing no one can ever do what U2 did. you know why? U2 showed all these bleeding heart, "i will never sell-out", "i don't like the invasion of my life", etc, etc, jerk offs that the industry doesn't, cannot and will not change you or your life unless you let it. they are the only one who can put on a show like ZOO TV and POPMART, and not get lost in the gigantic stage sets. the music actually outshined the lights and gigantic screens.
i love them sneaky irish bastards.

kingofsorrow said:

Coldplay. a tinsy winsy bit too feminine, even though i like their songs. Chris should give that Yorke fella a few tips on what an "actual" melody sounds like. i mean it's obvious the voices in ole Tommy boy's head is telling him he sounds great, but my bleeding ears say different.

LAWL :lol:

LemonMelon said:

:( I like the White Stripes better.

Jack Has stated its definitely not a side project, but he has committed 50/50 to the Stripes and Raconteurs.

And In The Times Interview Podcast With the Raconteurs they all state that at the end of the year they are going back to their other bands and working on new Material.
There'll be a new stripes record out sometime next year, I would assume. :hyper: (and the good thing is!, they spend no more than a month on the recording phase!)

It's hard to tell. Lots of bands out there. I think that U2 is the last of it's kind, with that kind of chemistry between it's members. I don't see any of the bands out there really going for the long run. Specially the way the music industry is just cranking out as much as they can without really any care for quality.

Muse could do it, they've been really constant and they're music is great. Their performance on the EMA's playing Starlight was amazing.

Radiohead doesn't even want to be a mainstream band, they're great yes. But more of a cult band at that.

Coldplay is probably the next oasis, not the next U2.

I have to say Arcade Fire, because of their sound, because of the way they play live. The killers will probably burn out in two more records.

Anyone know Bloc Party? They're second album is out know, their first album is really something. Reminds me of Boy in some parts of it. Who knows, to early to tell.

And the magic numbers as well, their music is so radio friendly, yet it's clever and pop and sounds really cool. Second album just out now as well.

I hope arcade fire, but i'm guessing muse. but next U2 will probably be themselves for next couple of years. so we still have time to figure it out.

Last edited:
Ifeelnumb84 said:
Muse should be.
They have the slow and the fast, the soft side AND the metal side, and even the classical piano side.
Their songs are incredibly original, but also have influence from bands like Queen, Pink Floyd, U2, and (I guess) a little bit of Radiohead.
Songs like Map of the Problematique, Stockholm Syndrome, and Knights of Cydonia can (and I think will) blow the roofs off of American stadiums and arenas in the near future (assuming that they have roofs).
Their drummer is absolutely amazing.
Their stage presence is excellent. Their background visuals are awesome, but not over the top.
They have the musical range of a band like U2. They can play a song like Citizen Erased or Assassin, but also a song like Soldiers' Poem (a la U2 with, say, Mofo and The Sweetest Thing.
So, Muse is a very worthy candidate. The interest in America isn't here yet, but I think it can be soon. Most of this country might point to a band like RHCP to be the next to carry the torch, and I'm not saying they won't.
But Muse is awesome, and I hope they can rise to this level in areas other than Europe.

count me in...

Back
Top Bottom