After they are completely done and retired...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you want U2 to be remembered as

• The band that created anthems like SBS, Pride, Streets, Beautiful Day, COBL etc.?

Votes: 38 79.2%
  • The band that experimented on material like Zooropa, Numb, Lemon, Mofo, Velvet Dress etc.?

Votes: 10 20.8%

• Total voters
thankyou said:

I don't think the beatles ever made anything as unique or experimental as U2 did in the 90's.

um... Revolver, Sgt. Peppers, Magical Mystery Tour, White Album all had experimental material. And they're all HUGE albums!

Compared to that, U2 had Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Passengers and Pop, all brilliant but the band would like to acknowledge only 1 or 2 of those albums and are kinda ashamed of the others.

Zootlesque said:

um... Revolver, Sgt. Peppers, Magical Mystery Tour, White Album all had experimental material. And they're all HUGE albums!

Compared to that, U2 had Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Passengers and Pop, all brilliant but the band would like to acknowledge only 1 or 2 of those albums and are kinda ashamed of the others.

Zootlesque said:

i disagree they're ashamed of their work.

xaviMF22 said:
didn't Edge once call Zooropa a mistake?

From the book:
"I never thought of Zooropa as anything more than an interlude . . . but a great one, as interludes go. "

ntalwar said:

From the book:
"I never thought of Zooropa as anything more than an interlude . . . but a great one, as interludes go. "

no, I remember reading an interview where he called zooropa a mistake:shrug:

In the end, U2 will be remembered by most people for Bono and Beautiful Day.

Zootlesque said:

The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree and Rattle & Hum were VERY experimental. In the cases of the first two, they were experimenting with sounds and atmospherics that were different (epecially with TJT) than anything anyone else was doing. And it became so revolutionary and singular, that we now call it the U2 sound (or somesuch). Messing with different genres and blending it into your own sound isn't half as experimental of developing your own sound in the first place.

Snowlock said:

The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree and Rattle & Hum were VERY experimental. In the cases of the first two, they were experimenting with sounds and atmospherics that were different (epecially with TJT) than anything anyone else was doing. And it became so revolutionary and singular, that we now call it the U2 sound (or somesuch). Messing with different genres and blending it into your own sound isn't half as experimental of developing your own sound in the first place.

Which is why advertisers and movie moguls are chomping at the bit to get U2's music for any ad or soundtrack they can.
but can't.
There's more substance in U2's music than alot of people and even fans give them credit for.

Last edited:
The classic songs/big hits.

SBS, NYD, Pride, Streets, WOWY, I still haven't found, Desire, One, and lately BD and Vertigo

Zootlesque said:

I don't know. Mofo may be dated only because there were bands like the Prodigy and the Chemical Bros. doing similar stuff back in 1997. But Zooropa, Numb, Lemon, Velvet Dress etc.. dont sound dated to me.

They don't sound dated to me, but that might have something to do with the fact I've only owned Pop for just over two months...:hmm:

They will be remembered for option A, that's obvious, but I would love to see an article on U2 in 25 years that says "U2 were a great band, blah blah blah, who not only wrote stadium-rocking anthems like SBS, Pride but also experimented in dark and dance, on tracks such as LIB, Lemon...."

But i dont think there will be

And btw, the next time someone meets U2, instead of asking about Mercy, ask why they keep ignoring albums like Zooropa, October and Pop? lol

Last edited:
thankyou said:

i disagree they're ashamed of their work.

Of course they're ashmed of their 90's experimental work. They hardly ever play Zooropa or Pop songs live anymore, the bands always bagging out pop, talking about how it needs to be 'reworked,' we all know larry's loathing of Passengers and now according to xavi Edge has said that Zooropa was a mistake.

Well :madspit: to them all

Stay, First time, Discotheque, SATS, Gone, Please and Wake up dead man (Miss Sarajevo too) all got played on the last two "90's hating" tours (not to mention 7 AB songs and the mini Zoo TV encore on this tour). Bono has said both Stay and Miss Sarajevo are some of his favourite U2 songs.

All the band said about Pop was that it wasn't finished. I don't see why post 2000 U2 isn't allowed to say that when the 97/98 U2 made 3 single versions straight away.
Larry's entitled to his opinion, as is anyone in the band.

jonnytakeawalk said:

Of course they're ashmed of their 90's experimental work. They hardly ever play Zooropa or Pop songs live anymore, the bands always bagging out pop, talking about how it needs to be 'reworked,' we all know larry's loathing of Passengers and now according to xavi Edge has said that Zooropa was a mistake.

Well :madspit: to them all

Repeating the same thing over and over without anything to back it up and quoting other posters about a quote he thought he read doesn't make anything true.

Come the fuck on people, let's see some facts...

U2girl said:
Stay, First time, Discotheque, SATS, Gone, Please and Wake up dead man (Miss Sarajevo too) all got played on the last two "90's hating" tours (not to mention 7 AB songs and the mini Zoo TV encore on this tour). Bono has said both Stay and Miss Sarajevo are some of his favourite U2 songs.

All the band said about Pop was that it wasn't finished. I don't see why post 2000 U2 isn't allowed to say that when the 97/98 U2 made 3 single versions straight away.
Larry's entitled to his opinion, as is anyone in the band.

Someone knows what they are talking about in here.

Utoo said:
Neither. What will make U2 a legend is that they did BOTH.

Red Rocks + JT + ZooTV + Passengers + ATYCLB = nobody else in the world.

:yes:

Back
Top Bottom