After listening to the intro of Popmart...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
Pop Muzik / Mofo / I Will Follow is a great open to leader...

So much energy and got the crowd going and "Mofo" was a great opener.

Agreed. In fact the entire first 1/3 of the show completely rocked

mofo
iwf
gone
even better than....
last night on earth
until the end of the world
new years day.

etc.

snutes1 said:
Agreed. In fact the entire first 1/3 of the show completely rocked

mofo
iwf
gone
even better than....
last night on earth
until the end of the world
new years day.

etc.

yep.
harder rocking than elevation by a mile.
not bad for a "dance" album.:wink:

Neenie said:
The best popmart Mofo I've heard is by far the Tel Aviv soundboard. :yes:

'tis good, but I like the one from Leeds better :wink:

Pop Muzik/Mofo was a great startup, among their best ever. However, I thought so many performances of IWF were done so poorly on Popmart and sounded so "off."

Leeds and Sarajevo for me.

I loved I Will Follow on Popmart because it's so different to any other version. It's kind of ... liquid, almost. Mofo --> I Will Follow was bloody genius.

I'll go back and listen to some popmart boots, AX, maybe u got a point. I did like the guitar by Edge and the overall music, I just thought Bono sounded "off" on a lot of shows.

Heh, Bono didn't just sound 'off' for only I Will Follow ...

But the emotion was still there!

RademR said:
I just thought Bono sounded "off" on a lot of shows.

Im sure some people found PopMart as a whole quiete "off" :huh:

But PopMart... Bono sounded the worse of any tour.... he probably naturally sounds worse on Elevation... but they electroniced it up so much it sounded slightly better than PopMart.

Its pretty bizzare the amazing decline on Bono's vocals from the end of Zoo to PopMart.

i honestly thought bono's new singing style in popmart was unique.

maybe its because i'm very late in coming to u2 (elevation/electrical storm were the songs which made me take notice) but i never felt that u2 was about the vocals, and actually i loved beautiful day because it really connected to me because it seemed bono purposely sang in a rough voice and that to me bono is just saying hes the average person... so yeah, vocals don't matter to me that much as long as theres singing going on and not just missing lyrics left right and centre (i think he did that during WOWY during popmart mexico)

other thing was bono's high pitched childish vocals in popmart really pushed forward this idea that bono was a lost soul trying to find his way (theme from staring at the sun, playboy mansion, igwsha, gone, wake up dead man)

Last edited:
I think Bono's voice now, well....popmart to the present, is incredible. He doesnt have the greatest singing voice but his soul makes his voice amazing.

However, before that time he was an immortal being (see Lovetown bootlegs)

I miss those vintage Bono singing moments. Even though I listen to them all the time, I wish there were new ones as well with that crisp Joshua Tree-era voice.... Oh well! I'm satisfied with any new music U2 makes!

ok, it is time to launch my BRING BACK POP campaign.... This tour opening should be: vertigo//mofo//IWF

BTBS//Please medley

SATS!!!

:drool:

Back
Top Bottom