Adventures of U2 #1: The MTV Video Awards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PopFly

War Child
Before the show....

MTV Technician: Okay guys, let's get everything set up.

Edge: Okay.

MTV Technician: Whoa whoa whoa, what are those things?

Adam: Ehm, guitars.

MTV Technician: What are they?

Edge: Uh, instruments. I play the lead guitar, and Adam plays the bass.

MTV Technician: Oh, so you're not really IN the band, then. You're just in the backing band.

Edge: No, we're both members of U2.

MTV Technician: You mean you guys are actually artists that play their own instruments? Far out. What'll you foreigners think of next?

Edge: Good lord...

(Edge and Adam stroll off, tuning their guitars. Bono and Larry walk over to the technician)

Bono: Say, where will my microphone be?

MTV Technician: Right here, Boh-noh.

Bono: Uh, it's actually pronounced 'Bonno.'

MTV Technician: Sure sure, whatever. Anyway, here's the mic.

Bono: This is a headset mic.

MTV Technician: Uh, yes it is. Is there a problem with it?

Bono: I'm not really a headset mic kind of guy. Headset mics aren't punk rock things to do; when we were back in the clubs watching the Ramones, Television, and the Clash, I don't remember them ever wearing headset mics...

Larry: BONO!

Bono: Huh?

Larry: You were saying something about the microphone?

Bono: Oh, right. Sorry. Like I was saying, I'd prefer a standing mic.

MTV Technician: It'll be easier with the headset, trust me. You guys are playing the Tomb Raider song, right?

Larry: Er, yeah....

MTV Technician: Then you'll be jumping around, just like that Lara Croft chick in the video. Trust me: headset mics look more professional. They free up your arms for the dance number and make it look like you're really singing up there!

Larry: Now just a second here, U2 doesn't lip-sync. Bono can sing on his own.

Bono: That's right. I don't recall Joey Ramone ever lip-syncing. Punk rock is about stripping things down, not...wait a minute, what was that about a dance number? (Bono gets a faraway look in his eye)

Larry: Don't give him any ideas!

(Larry leads Bono away. The show director walks onto the stage)

MTV Technician: We might have some trouble here, sir. Apparently this band plays their own instruments and the singer wants to sing the song live. These UB4 guys sure are weird.

Director: They're not so different from the boy bands and the rappers. Why, I saw the fellow in the glasses rolling a joint with Snoop Dogg in the back. I'll bet the band was just joking around.

MTV Technician: Yeah, I guess you're right. I'll just plug the feed into the...say, which ones are the speakers and which ones are the amps?

Director: Don't ask me. I won this job in a contest at mtv.com

(Director and Technician exit)

------------------
They want you to be Jesus
They'll go down on one knee
But they'll want their money back
If you're alive at thirty-three
And you're turning tricks
With your crucifix
You're a star

"I can't watch a man sing a song. He gets all emotional, he starts swaying...it's embarrassing!" -- Jerry Seinfeld

Yes, perhaps we live in a world in which singing and musicianship come behind dancing, good looks, and lip-synching. But I wouldn't be too surprised if we all went full circle the next few years. Then all those incompetent MTV employees will really be scrambling to find jobs.

------------------
Change is the only constant

That was awesome ...

"You play your own instruments ... damn."

~Zoo~

------------------
" They had the Vision, but we had the Television " - The Edge

" The greatest lesson you'll ever learn - is to love, and be loved in return" - David Bowie

funny stuff.you are so true ,bono, no mater what hes talking about gets the ramones in .

------------------
"BONO'S PRAYER HEAVENS AIR"

Dont be a player hater.

Back
Top Bottom