Additional live lyrics: Do you think Bono wishes he recorded them? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2006, 12:49 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 04:54 PM
Additional live lyrics: Do you think Bono wishes he recorded them?

Part of what makes seeing bands live is the things you hear that aren't on the albums. For U2 two things come to mind right away. the outros of With or Without you and One. Bono's Shine like Stars lyrics on WOWOY and his Knockin' at your Door lyrics on One are awesome. You almost come to expect them even when listening to album versions of the songs. I wonder if Bono ever feels a bit disapointed that he never recorded these lyrics. Personally I can't help but imagine studio versions of these songs with these added lyrics. Then again I suppose that's what makes seeing them live so special.

Old 04-10-2006, 12:56 AM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:54 PM
Maybe, maybe not...

It makes the live versions a little more special.

Old 04-10-2006, 01:44 AM   #3
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 08:54 AM
I may not hate One so much if it had the "Do you hear us coming?" verse in the studio version. It's the only part of the song I actually like.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-10-2006, 02:32 AM   #4
The Fly

Local Time: 05:54 PM
The longer "With or Without You" is, the better it is. As one of the band's best songs, U2 could have made the studio version of that song 20 minutes, and it would have still been excellent.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:55 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:54 PM
If the studio version of Beautiful Day had the "The goul is SOUL" part it would be incredible.

Running to Stand Still would be better with the Hallelujah outro.

Until the End of the World would be better with the "Here she comes. Is this rock and roll?" part.

Stuck in a Moment would be better with the "hey hey yeah" intro ala Slane.

Where the Streets Have No Name would be better with the "ohhh ohhh love" bridge.

With or Without You would be better with the "We'll shine like stars in the summer night..." outro.

One would be better with the "Do you hear us coming Lord, do you hear us call?" outro.

Please would have been better with Bono spazzing out during the Edge's solo.

And umm... I'm sure there's more, but all of those would have been better with what I listed IMO. This is why U2 should tour some of their next songs before they release them.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:59 AM   #6
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780

Until the End of the World would be better with the "Here she comes. Is this rock and roll?" part.

Oh, no way!!!

Sounds good live, but would have ruined the studio version...
Old 04-10-2006, 03:01 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

You're probably right I guess... it did sound rather jam-ish.

But I would have liked the louder LALALALAs and a more pronounced guitar solo in the studio version. The Slane version was soooo coooool
Old 04-10-2006, 06:15 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

And umm... I'm sure there's more, but all of those would have been better with what I listed IMO. This is why U2 should tour some of their next songs before they release them.
that's what a lot of bands do...try songs out live BEFORE they record them... but I think having something extra at the end does make the live versions more special, and also some of them just wouldn't fit in the context of the album version...for example, the shine like stars bit. I absolutely love it, but I wouldn't touch the album version of WOWY. If you really think about it, the shine like stars thing doesn't really fit the rest of the song at all it adds a positive element to it I suppose, but for some reason I just can't imagine it on the album.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:23 AM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:54 PM
I agree with what AtomicBono just said, especially for example WOWY. Both ways are perfect just the way they are. Wouldn't change the studio version, no way. Yet live, it's my favorite part, I can't wait to hear him belt that out every time. Never really thought about this before, but wow, interesting!
Old 04-10-2006, 08:18 PM   #10
New Yorker

Quote:
If the studio version of Beautiful Day had the "The goul is SOUL" part it would be incredible.

Running to Stand Still would be better with the Hallelujah outro.

Stuck in a Moment would be better with the "hey hey yeah" intro ala Slane.

Where the Streets Have No Name would be better with the "ohhh ohhh love" bridge.

With or Without You would be better with the "We'll shine like stars in the summer night..." outro.

One would be better with the "Do you hear us coming Lord, do you hear us call?" outro.

Please would have been better with Bono spazzing out during the Edge's solo.

F-yeah.... agreed 2 all!
Old 04-10-2006, 08:31 PM   #11
Refugee

Local Time: 10:54 PM
A lot of the additional lyrics don't make sense in the context of the song, but sound great live. This is probably why.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:45 PM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 02:54 PM
Quote:

Streets is an awesome song but it would be unbelievably incredible with that bridge added in .
Also I thought the African chanting thing on the DVD was pretty cool too
Old 04-10-2006, 10:09 PM   #13
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by AtomicBono

that's what a lot of bands do...try songs out live BEFORE they record them... but I think having something extra at the end does make the live versions more special, and also some of them just wouldn't fit in the context of the album version...for example, the shine like stars bit. I absolutely love it, but I wouldn't touch the album version of WOWY. If you really think about it, the shine like stars thing doesn't really fit the rest of the song at all it adds a positive element to it I suppose, but for some reason I just can't imagine it on the album.
I actually think Shine Like Stars brings some closure to WOWY.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-11-2006, 02:54 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Early Vertigo Tour Versions of the "Zoo Station" and "The Fly"...would most suck if they were that way on the record.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:49 AM   #15
War Child

Boring...if the studio matched the live...the live matched the studio...

Sound like Coldplay... OMG did I say that out loud?

Bono switchin' it up just keeps us wanting more, more, more...
Old 04-11-2006, 11:36 PM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

The main thing I really think is that One needs that verse. (btw could someone post the lyrics or something, I've never quite been able to hear what he's saying) But for the other songs mentioned, that seems part of the live thing, but for one, it just feels like that verse should've been there IMO
Old 04-12-2006, 12:57 PM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 10:54 PM
One of my favourite things to do is listen to new bootlegs for additional lyrics or changes to existing ones.
I am a fan of snippets and additional lyrics.

By the way, is "we move in miracle ways" part of the studio version of Mysterious Ways, because I don't recall hearing it
Old 04-12-2006, 10:02 PM   #18
Refugee

Re: Additional live lyrics: Do you think Bono wishes he recorded them?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hallucination
I wonder if Bono ever feels a bit disapointed that he never recorded these lyrics.
If he does he shouldn't,

I mean c'mon, 'shine like stars in the summer night'?!!! I think even 'the air is heavy, heavy as a truck' is a more clever lyric than that!!! Most of all it just doesn't fit in with the mood of the song, WOWY is such a dark melancholic song it makes no sense to tack on that cheery little ending.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:30 AM   #19
Blue Crack Distributor

^ That's true..... on the studio recording. That's exactly why it's best the way it is. But live, the song loses it'd darkness, which is why the live ending is alright, even anticipated... for me.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:50 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by bonocomet
^ That's true..... on the studio recording. That's exactly why it's best the way it is. But live, the song loses it'd darkness, which is why the live ending is alright, even anticipated... for me.

I just sing it at the end of the studio version anyway..