Additional live lyrics: Do you think Bono wishes he recorded them? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-10-2006, 12:49 AM   #1
Refugee
 
Hallucination's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
Posts: 2,364
Local Time: 04:54 PM
Additional live lyrics: Do you think Bono wishes he recorded them?

Part of what makes seeing bands live is the things you hear that aren't on the albums. For U2 two things come to mind right away. the outros of With or Without you and One. Bono's Shine like Stars lyrics on WOWOY and his Knockin' at your Door lyrics on One are awesome. You almost come to expect them even when listening to album versions of the songs. I wonder if Bono ever feels a bit disapointed that he never recorded these lyrics. Personally I can't help but imagine studio versions of these songs with these added lyrics. Then again I suppose that's what makes seeing them live so special.
__________________

Hallucination is offline  
Old 04-10-2006, 12:56 AM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,202
Local Time: 03:54 PM
Maybe, maybe not...

It makes the live versions a little more special.
__________________

BVS is offline  
Old 04-10-2006, 01:44 AM   #3
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 152,744
Local Time: 08:54 AM
I may not hate One so much if it had the "Do you hear us coming?" verse in the studio version. It's the only part of the song I actually like.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 04-10-2006, 02:32 AM   #4
The Fly
 
LDM007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 150
Local Time: 05:54 PM
The longer "With or Without You" is, the better it is. As one of the band's best songs, U2 could have made the studio version of that song 20 minutes, and it would have still been excellent.
LDM007 is offline  
Old 04-10-2006, 02:55 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Washington State
Posts: 3,861
Local Time: 09:54 PM
If the studio version of Beautiful Day had the "The goul is SOUL" part it would be incredible.

Running to Stand Still would be better with the Hallelujah outro.

Until the End of the World would be better with the "Here she comes. Is this rock and roll?" part.

Stuck in a Moment would be better with the "hey hey yeah" intro ala Slane.

Where the Streets Have No Name would be better with the "ohhh ohhh love" bridge.

With or Without You would be better with the "We'll shine like stars in the summer night..." outro.

One would be better with the "Do you hear us coming Lord, do you hear us call?" outro.

Please would have been better with Bono spazzing out during the Edge's solo.

And umm... I'm sure there's more, but all of those would have been better with what I listed IMO. This is why U2 should tour some of their next songs before they release them.
shart1780 is offline  
Old 04-10-2006, 02:59 AM   #6
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,202
Local Time: 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780

Until the End of the World would be better with the "Here she comes. Is this rock and roll?" part.

Oh, no way!!!

Sounds good live, but would have ruined the studio version...
BVS is offline  
Old 04-10-2006, 03:01 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Washington State
Posts: 3,861
Local Time: 09:54 PM
You're probably right I guess... it did sound rather jam-ish.

But I would have liked the louder LALALALAs and a more pronounced guitar solo in the studio version. The Slane version was soooo coooool
shart1780 is offline  
Old 04-10-2006, 06:15 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life
 
AtomicBono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 10,486
Local Time: 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780


And umm... I'm sure there's more, but all of those would have been better with what I listed IMO. This is why U2 should tour some of their next songs before they release them.
that's what a lot of bands do...try songs out live BEFORE they record them... but I think having something extra at the end does make the live versions more special, and also some of them just wouldn't fit in the context of the album version...for example, the shine like stars bit. I absolutely love it, but I wouldn't touch the album version of WOWY. If you really think about it, the shine like stars thing doesn't really fit the rest of the song at all it adds a positive element to it I suppose, but for some reason I just can't imagine it on the album.
AtomicBono is offline  
Old 04-10-2006, 06:23 AM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bonocomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: California :)
Posts: 67,032
Local Time: 01:54 PM
I agree with what AtomicBono just said, especially for example WOWY. Both ways are perfect just the way they are. Wouldn't change the studio version, no way. Yet live, it's my favorite part, I can't wait to hear him belt that out every time. Never really thought about this before, but wow, interesting!
bonocomet is offline  
Old 04-10-2006, 08:18 PM   #10
New Yorker
 
The Disciple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,596
Local Time: 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780
If the studio version of Beautiful Day had the "The goul is SOUL" part it would be incredible.

Running to Stand Still would be better with the Hallelujah outro.

Until the End of the World would be better with the "Here she comes. Is this rock and roll?" part.

Stuck in a Moment would be better with the "hey hey yeah" intro ala Slane.

Where the Streets Have No Name would be better with the "ohhh ohhh love" bridge.

With or Without You would be better with the "We'll shine like stars in the summer night..." outro.

One would be better with the "Do you hear us coming Lord, do you hear us call?" outro.

Please would have been better with Bono spazzing out during the Edge's solo.

And umm... I'm sure there's more, but all of those would have been better with what I listed IMO. This is why U2 should tour some of their next songs before they release them.
F-yeah.... agreed 2 all!
The Disciple is offline  
Old 04-10-2006, 08:31 PM   #11
Refugee
 
thelaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 2,461
Local Time: 10:54 PM
A lot of the additional lyrics don't make sense in the context of the song, but sound great live. This is probably why.
thelaj is offline  
Old 04-10-2006, 08:45 PM   #12
Refugee
 
cjboog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington State, USA
Posts: 1,332
Local Time: 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780
If the studio version of Beautiful Day had the "The goul is SOUL" part it would be incredible.

Where the Streets Have No Name would be better with the "ohhh ohhh love" bridge.
Streets is an awesome song but it would be unbelievably incredible with that bridge added in .
Also I thought the African chanting thing on the DVD was pretty cool too
cjboog is offline  
Old 04-10-2006, 10:09 PM   #13
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 152,744
Local Time: 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AtomicBono


that's what a lot of bands do...try songs out live BEFORE they record them... but I think having something extra at the end does make the live versions more special, and also some of them just wouldn't fit in the context of the album version...for example, the shine like stars bit. I absolutely love it, but I wouldn't touch the album version of WOWY. If you really think about it, the shine like stars thing doesn't really fit the rest of the song at all it adds a positive element to it I suppose, but for some reason I just can't imagine it on the album.
I actually think Shine Like Stars brings some closure to WOWY.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 04-11-2006, 02:54 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict
 
bono_man2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the wrong band
Posts: 28,472
Local Time: 08:54 AM
Early Vertigo Tour Versions of the "Zoo Station" and "The Fly"...would most suck if they were that way on the record.
bono_man2002 is offline  
Old 04-11-2006, 08:49 AM   #15
War Child
 
drumkeeran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Upstate NY, USA - own personal Bono pleaser
Posts: 959
Local Time: 04:54 PM
Boring...if the studio matched the live...the live matched the studio...

Sound like Coldplay... OMG did I say that out loud?

Bono switchin' it up just keeps us wanting more, more, more...
drumkeeran is offline  
Old 04-11-2006, 11:36 PM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 82,609
Local Time: 01:54 PM
The main thing I really think is that One needs that verse. (btw could someone post the lyrics or something, I've never quite been able to hear what he's saying) But for the other songs mentioned, that seems part of the live thing, but for one, it just feels like that verse should've been there IMO
__________________
bono_212 is offline  
Old 04-12-2006, 12:57 PM   #17
Refugee
 
thelaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 2,461
Local Time: 10:54 PM
One of my favourite things to do is listen to new bootlegs for additional lyrics or changes to existing ones.
I am a fan of snippets and additional lyrics.

By the way, is "we move in miracle ways" part of the studio version of Mysterious Ways, because I don't recall hearing it
thelaj is offline  
Old 04-12-2006, 10:02 PM   #18
Refugee
 
jonnytakeawalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: living underground, eating from a can
Posts: 1,233
Local Time: 09:54 PM
Re: Additional live lyrics: Do you think Bono wishes he recorded them?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hallucination
I wonder if Bono ever feels a bit disapointed that he never recorded these lyrics.
If he does he shouldn't,

I mean c'mon, 'shine like stars in the summer night'?!!! I think even 'the air is heavy, heavy as a truck' is a more clever lyric than that!!! Most of all it just doesn't fit in with the mood of the song, WOWY is such a dark melancholic song it makes no sense to tack on that cheery little ending.
jonnytakeawalk is offline  
Old 04-13-2006, 12:30 AM   #19
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bonocomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: California :)
Posts: 67,032
Local Time: 01:54 PM
^ That's true..... on the studio recording. That's exactly why it's best the way it is. But live, the song loses it'd darkness, which is why the live ending is alright, even anticipated... for me.
bonocomet is offline  
Old 04-16-2006, 09:50 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
sue4u2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
Posts: 6,628
Local Time: 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bonocomet
^ That's true..... on the studio recording. That's exactly why it's best the way it is. But live, the song loses it'd darkness, which is why the live ending is alright, even anticipated... for me.

I just sing it at the end of the studio version anyway..
__________________

sue4u2 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×