Additional live lyrics: Do you think Bono wishes he recorded them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hallucination

Refugee
Part of what makes seeing bands live is the things you hear that aren't on the albums. For U2 two things come to mind right away. the outros of With or Without you and One. Bono's Shine like Stars lyrics on WOWOY and his Knockin' at your Door lyrics on One are awesome. You almost come to expect them even when listening to album versions of the songs. I wonder if Bono ever feels a bit disapointed that he never recorded these lyrics. Personally I can't help but imagine studio versions of these songs with these added lyrics. Then again I suppose that's what makes seeing them live so special.

I may not hate One so much if it had the "Do you hear us coming?" verse in the studio version. It's the only part of the song I actually like.

The longer "With or Without You" is, the better it is. As one of the band's best songs, U2 could have made the studio version of that song 20 minutes, and it would have still been excellent.

If the studio version of Beautiful Day had the "The goul is SOUL" part it would be incredible.

Running to Stand Still would be better with the Hallelujah outro.

Until the End of the World would be better with the "Here she comes. Is this rock and roll?" part.

Stuck in a Moment would be better with the "hey hey yeah" intro ala Slane.

Where the Streets Have No Name would be better with the "ohhh ohhh love" bridge.

With or Without You would be better with the "We'll shine like stars in the summer night..." outro.

One would be better with the "Do you hear us coming Lord, do you hear us call?" outro.

Please would have been better with Bono spazzing out during the Edge's solo.

And umm... I'm sure there's more, but all of those would have been better with what I listed IMO. This is why U2 should tour some of their next songs before they release them.

You're probably right I guess... it did sound rather jam-ish.

But I would have liked the louder LALALALAs and a more pronounced guitar solo in the studio version. The Slane version was soooo coooool :drool:

shart1780 said:

And umm... I'm sure there's more, but all of those would have been better with what I listed IMO. This is why U2 should tour some of their next songs before they release them.

:up: that's what a lot of bands do...try songs out live BEFORE they record them... but I think having something extra at the end does make the live versions more special, and also some of them just wouldn't fit in the context of the album version...for example, the shine like stars bit. I absolutely love it, but I wouldn't touch the album version of WOWY. If you really think about it, the shine like stars thing doesn't really fit the rest of the song at all :shrug: it adds a positive element to it I suppose, but for some reason I just can't imagine it on the album.

I agree with what AtomicBono just said, especially for example WOWY. Both ways are perfect just the way they are. Wouldn't change the studio version, no way. Yet live, it's my favorite part, I can't wait to hear him belt that out every time. Never really thought about this before, but wow, interesting!

shart1780 said:
If the studio version of Beautiful Day had the "The goul is SOUL" part it would be incredible.

Running to Stand Still would be better with the Hallelujah outro.

Until the End of the World would be better with the "Here she comes. Is this rock and roll?" part.

Stuck in a Moment would be better with the "hey hey yeah" intro ala Slane.

Where the Streets Have No Name would be better with the "ohhh ohhh love" bridge.

With or Without You would be better with the "We'll shine like stars in the summer night..." outro.

One would be better with the "Do you hear us coming Lord, do you hear us call?" outro.

Please would have been better with Bono spazzing out during the Edge's solo.

F-yeah.... agreed 2 all!

A lot of the additional lyrics don't make sense in the context of the song, but sound great live. This is probably why.

shart1780 said:

Streets is an awesome song but it would be unbelievably incredible with that bridge added in :drool:.
Also I thought the African chanting thing on the DVD was pretty cool too :wink:

AtomicBono said:

:up: that's what a lot of bands do...try songs out live BEFORE they record them... but I think having something extra at the end does make the live versions more special, and also some of them just wouldn't fit in the context of the album version...for example, the shine like stars bit. I absolutely love it, but I wouldn't touch the album version of WOWY. If you really think about it, the shine like stars thing doesn't really fit the rest of the song at all :shrug: it adds a positive element to it I suppose, but for some reason I just can't imagine it on the album.

I actually think Shine Like Stars brings some closure to WOWY.

The main thing I really think is that One needs that verse. (btw could someone post the lyrics or something, I've never quite been able to hear what he's saying) But for the other songs mentioned, that seems part of the live thing, but for one, it just feels like that verse should've been there IMO

One of my favourite things to do is listen to new bootlegs for additional lyrics or changes to existing ones.
I am a fan of snippets and additional lyrics.

By the way, is "we move in miracle ways" part of the studio version of Mysterious Ways, because I don't recall hearing it

Hallucination said:
I wonder if Bono ever feels a bit disapointed that he never recorded these lyrics.

If he does he shouldn't,

I mean c'mon, 'shine like stars in the summer night'?!!! I think even 'the air is heavy, heavy as a truck' is a more clever lyric than that!!! Most of all it just doesn't fit in with the mood of the song, WOWY is such a dark melancholic song it makes no sense to tack on that cheery little ending.

^ That's true..... on the studio recording. That's exactly why it's best the way it is. But live, the song loses it'd darkness, which is why the live ending is alright, even anticipated... for me.

bonocomet said:
^ That's true..... on the studio recording. That's exactly why it's best the way it is. But live, the song loses it'd darkness, which is why the live ending is alright, even anticipated... for me.

:up:
I just sing it at the end of the studio version anyway..:wink:

"Could yo believe in something, could you believe in someone, could you believe in someone else....and if the rain falls...its falling, its not the last night on earth!!
:drool:

Nube Gris said:
"Could yo believe in something, could you believe in someone, could you believe in someone else....and if the rain falls...its falling, its not the last night on earth!!
:drool:

I really wish the "I went looking" stuff was on LNOE.

I think Bono or Edge (I think Edge now that I think about it) have commented before that With or Without You could have been longer, the outro could've gone somewhere, and so much more could've been done with it.
But of course when the bands plays it live, they stretch it out, add those great lyrics at the end, and Edge even has the chance to play his guitar a bit longer.

all in all, I bet Bono or they all wish they recorded it, but I bet they strategized and such. Making the live versions that much more valuable.

theres a few instances in "One" instead of "...did you come here to play jesus? to the lepers in your head" he'll sing "...did you come here to play jesus? Well I did"

bono_212 said:
The main thing I really think is that One needs that verse. (btw could someone post the lyrics or something, I've never quite been able to hear what he's saying) But for the other songs mentioned, that seems part of the live thing, but for one, it just feels like that verse should've been there IMO

It's something like this:

"Do you hear me (us) coming, lord
Hear me (us) call
Hear me (us) knocking, knocking at your door
Do you hear me (us) coming, lord
Do you hear me (us) call
See me (us) scratching when you make me crawl"

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I love this verses too but I think it makes more sense live than studio. Same goes for With Or Without You. The other ones mentioned I think they should be part of the studio version too ;)

europop2005 said:
theres a few instances in "One" instead of "...did you come here to play jesus? to the lepers in your head" he'll sing "...did you come here to play jesus? Well I did"

That was one instance where the rhetorical question works better on the record, but adding "I did" live worked to reinforce Bono's Fly character.

Back
Top Bottom