Adam's bassline on Vertigo!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Inner El Guapo said:
I think Steve Lillywhite wanted to push the bass up front. It was sort of buried on ATYCLB. Adam has had better bass licks, or riffs than that, but he hasn't "sounded" that good in years.

I agree with that. I also think that Vertigo's bass line is amazing, but it becomes especially powerful because its so prominent in the mix. He's done some amazing work before too, but IMO it was too often buried by the guitar in the mix (no offense Edge...) and we couldn't get the full fill of it.

This is also true in the live mixes, I find. My only complaint about the sound at a U2 show would be that sometimes the rythmic section is not loud enough. I always found it would be possible to bring it up without undermining the power of Edge's guitar. But again, sound mixes are very personal things...

:reject: I never even noticed the bracelet LOL

But I did notice that chain necklace...I dunno if he's used it all the time but i've seen him wear it alot :shrug:

miss-U2 said:

hey kelly, we have to put that word in our PLEBA language school :lol:

pronounce it "teechek" :crazy:

hey i have just heard on the radio that Cork is gonna be the european capital of culture... :up:

yeah, I'm gonna have to google that one :)

(we better get this thread back on topic before people start throwing tomatoes at us or something :reject: :lol: )

no kelly, i am not back to school in ireland... got some problems here... but don't worry, i am still planning to go there as soon as i can :wink:
i will talk to you about that on Alison4ever :sexywink: (have you checked the new section?)

oceane said:

This is also true in the live mixes, I find. My only complaint about the sound at a U2 show would be that sometimes the rythmic section is not loud enough. I always found it would be possible to bring it up without undermining the power of Edge's guitar. But again, sound mixes are very personal things...

Yeah, SOMETIMES I feel like that too. In some songs you can hear Adam great but in some other syou just can't hear hiim all that well. But Larry is always loud though and that's the way it must remain.

EDIT TO SAY: Hey let's try to keep on topic here girls. :up:

kellyahern said:

yeah, I'm gonna have to google that one :)

(we better get this thread back on topic before people start throwing tomatoes at us or something :reject: :lol: )

yeah :lmao:

let's go back to ADAM :heart:

you know want? since i heard adam playing that bass lines in Vertigo, i wanna learn how to play the bass... and then, the drums, and i could be create my U2 band only with one member, me :lmao:

The Edge said:
I think Adam plays fabulous bass on this record, front to finish. He has made himself a better player.

I'll settle one thing for you...his bracelet. He got it as a personal gift. It is certainly a private treasure for him.

Yea! Well that settles it for me, you must be the real thing. (I had my doubts, internet ye know).

I can't be the only one who's noticed, but maybe no one really asked about it? I've been reading and lurking at various U2 websites, and since I've not seen it brought up,... and who else would know it's a gift except someone who actually knows him.

i tried the bass once..didnt turn out so well .. Adam sounds good

off note..
ohh M ..hope your well, sorry I've missed you bad on me, .. chin up young person ..

The Edge said:
Love and Peace and City of Blinding Lights are great songs. Tremendous bass!

Okay, this is exactly what I have been telling people here since the track listing is known.

These songs back to back are just going to floor me. I can feel it! :yes:

Roland of Gilead said:

Okay, this is exactly what I have been telling people here since the track listing is known.

These songs back to back are just going to floor me. I can feel it! :yes:

I hope you're right. :up:

Edge makes me more hungry for this new album everytime he talks about it. :drool:

I play bass in a band, Adam inspired me to do it... :up:

Please bass lines :drool: Vertigo has powerful bass lines... I'll try to play it someday...

The Edge said:

Love and Peace and City of Blinding Lights are great songs. Tremendous bass!

When i read the NME track by track preview and saw that City of Blinding Lights was an "updated With or Without You", I first thought about the bass. The song has to be pretty amazing to get that kind of comparison!!

VertiGone said:

When i read the NME track by track preview and saw that City of Blinding Lights was an "updated With or Without You", I first thought about the bass. The song has to be pretty amazing to get that kind of comparison!!

:hmm: I haden't thought of that. Now I'm even more interested.

Adam rules, because his bass playing can be very complex, like in some of the earlier stuff, or more simple and disciplined - but hella catchy. Songs like New Year's Day and With or Without You are instantly recognizable from the killer bassline (of course, us U2 freaks can recognize a song from just about anything :wink:)...and Exit, man, it's only three notes but I still think it's one of the greatest basslines ever. I play it on guitar a lot (I can't get used to bass...if I play bass I use a pick) and it's so addicting I'll sit there playing it for like 10 minutes :laugh:

As for Vertigo...I agree with basically everyone in saying the bass rules, and it's really cool how the guitar drops out in the verses, because not only does it make the bass shine, but the guitar seems even better when it really kicks in again. I'm anxious to hear Love and Peace and City of Blinding Lights now...hell, I just want the whole album!! Thanks for the info though Edge :D

AtomicBono said:
...and Exit, man, it's only three notes but I still think it's one of the greatest basslines ever. I play it on guitar a lot (I can't get used to bass...if I play bass I use a pick) and it's so addicting I'll sit there playing it for like 10 minutes :laugh:

Oh yeah, I still remember the first time I heard Exit on the Rattle And Hum movie. I wasn’t paying attention much until that bassline started. It really is catchy, I never tried play it on the guitar. I should give it a try. Adam should come around and visit us, he seems to be great person to have around and would probably have a lot of interesting things to say. I'm really excited about this new album, I hope Adam is very present on it and apparently, judging from what Edge said, he is. :)

Oh by the way he's looking fucking cool on that Top Of The Pops video and also on the new pics. He's looking his best right now I think. :adam: = :cool:

adam would be a wonderful person to talk to. hes so posh :D and well spoken. of course i would want to know what his underwear looked like or something along those lines.....but i am a PLEBA girl after all.....:reject:

u2bonogirl said:
adam would be a wonderful person to talk to. hes so posh :D and well spoken. of course i would want to know what his underwear looked like or something along those lines.....but i am a PLEBA girl after all.....:reject:

He really would. I have a feeling he would be hanging around PLEBA a lot. :yes:

:lol: I'm sure you would.... and then attack him as he is down resting! :laugh:

It would be interesting if Larry appeared too to say a few words. It would be complete chaos if Bono appeared at Interference though. :uhoh:

YEAH YEAH YEAH

Adam rules again.....the simply amazing bass was the first thing about Vertigo I noticed......the first time I heard that song was two weeks ago in Bono's car......(btw, amazing sound system:faint:..)....I also heard Love And Peace Or Else and Miracle Drug......and all I can say that Adam sounds fantastic on both......I think HTDAAB will replace Pop as my favorite "Adam" album :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom