Adam Clayton's best album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jick said:

Wow if you consider that one of his best performances in a long while, I guess you are implying Clayton hasn't done anything in some time. After all, AMAAW is an average Clayton U2 track at best IMHO.

Cheers,

J

I just think it's a very different feel to a U2 song, than they've ever done before.
I didnt think there was anything extraordinairy that Adam did on ATYCLB, but I do love his work on some of the songs on Pop.

This album is great for Adam. There are a ton of songs that he's above average on. Vertigo is amazing, Miracle Drug has a great rhythm section for Adam and Larry, Sometimes, while I feel the bass is a bit too high in the mix, is a great fit for the song. Also, Love and Peace or Else is just smoking, especially the intro AFTER the synthesized Eno bass and into the first verse, City of Blinding Lights is epic and moving and sets the mood brilliantly for Bono's lyrics during the verses in particular. ABOY, he has to do another rock riff tag along with the Edge, AMAAW is GREAT and GROOVY, Crumbs also has a great and underrated groove, and Yahweh is incredible.

It's sometimes hard to appreciate bassists and drummers in bands, but the more you listen to particular bands and particular songs the more you notice the intricate details. I used to think, especially after watching the Rattle & Hum DVD that Adam played it pretty easy - just a basic bassline for every song and leave the showing off to Edge. But whether simple or not his bass lines are superb, and the more I progress with guitar and music in general the more I'm appreciating this (with all bands, really). I was listening to War last night, and the bassline for New Year's Day is stunning.

I think his work is great on the latest album, as is Larry's. Hell, all the members.

My brother dislikes U2. A lot. But as a bassist he loves adam's work. he says he is brilliant.

I would like to add the author of "Bass for Dummies" is the instructor who Adam Clayton took lessons from for Pop. In his introduction for the book he talks about Adam's skills improving and how dedicated he was. He was so impressed with Adam because he was already a multimillionare rock star who has played tons of gigs and recorded hit records, but still took the time for bass lessons. One of the stories he says about Adam is that it was raining like crazy in New York (Adam and Larry moved there before Pop) and he figured Adam wouldn't make the lesson or anyone for that matter. Then the door rang like crazy and it was Adam soaked in the pouring rain ready for his lesson. He was so impressed with Adams dedication. Also, he talks about Adams work on Pop being A+ material.

I think its reallyl cool Adam took bass lessons before Pop to sharpen his skills.

Back
Top Bottom