Adam Clayton vs. Mike Mills

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GibsonGirl said:

I'm pretty sure there was an Edge vs David Gilmour one a while back. The results were kind of stupid, if I remember correctly. But anyway, I haven't listened to very many REM albums so I can't really comment on who is the better bass player.

I remember it well, but it's not on My Control Panel :grumpy:

Mills contributes a lot to the song writing in R.E.M. too, which is something that I don't think Clayton does a lot, although many U2 songs are said to have started out with Adam & Larry jamming.

I'd say Mike Mills. He does lead vocals on a couple of songs and plays keyboards aswell.

Mike Mills definitely produces dynamic bass parts that dance around the chord progression while Adam sticks to the root. Only Mills could pull off playing F# while Buck is playing E minor like in Losing My Religion. Very weird sounding but also gives the song some tension. Mills >>>> Clayton.

On the other hand, I agree with Yahweh that Adam tore it up on Pop and the Popmart Tour. The bass part towards the end of the album version of Please is incredible (its a shame they removed it for the single version). The live versions of Mofo and Do You Feel Loved are amazing basslines.

Clayton loses points because he went back to playing mostly 8th notes and sticking to the root for the last two albums. He clearly has the skills, but he must be "playing the right part for the song". To me, that's not a good argument for lazy bass playing. He could add so much more to the U2 sound if he spent more time coming up with interesting parts.

Ladera Heights said:

Clayton loses points because he went back to playing mostly 8th notes and sticking to the root for the last two albums. He clearly has the skills, but he must be "playing the right part for the song". To me, that's not a good argument for lazy bass playing. He could add so much more to the U2 sound if he spent more time coming up with interesting parts.

I agree with this. Adam proved he could play bass well on Pop. So why has he lapsed into playing mostly simple root notes? I can't even play any U2 songs from the past six years on bass because it's just too boring. I don't know how Adam manages not to fall asleep when he's playing Beautiful Day on stage. Some people will argue that Adam "does his job" when he plays such dumbed down bass lines, and that by doing so he doesn't detract away from the rest of the band. However, the point is, you can play a technically difficult bass line without detracting from anything. Pop is the proof of this. It IS lazy to play A-B-D-G-D-A for bloody infinity. Beneath the laid-back exterior, there is a good bass player lurking within Adam. I just wish he'd let him out more often...

GibsonGirl said:

I don't know how Adam manages not to fall asleep when he's playing Beautiful Day on stage.

LMAO, the band might as well program in the bass parts along with the backing tracks.

Let us not forget the beauty of the Lemon bassline as mentioned earlier in the thread. I'm happy when Adam adds 2 non-root notes like in Stay, Some Days Are Better Than Others and Zooropa...oh wait, didn't Eno or Bono or someone else write/play that bass line?

Here's to hoping James Jamerson's ghost possesses Adam's fingers...cheers!

Ladera Heights said:

LMAO, the band might as well program in the bass parts along with the backing tracks.

Let us not forget the beauty of the Lemon bassline as mentioned earlier in the thread. I'm happy when Adam adds 2 non-root notes like in Stay, Some Days Are Better Than Others and Zooropa...oh wait, didn't Eno or Bono or someone else write/play that bass line?

Bono wrote it? :huh: I doubt Eno wrote it either. I think it's more to do with the kinds of music Adam listened throughout the years. He name drops people all the time, though not as much as Bono. ;)

Playing complicated bass parts, it really only impresses other bass players IMHO, or people who have an interest in music, play other instruments. Jaco Pastorious could play circles around Paul McCartney, but how many know who he is compared to how many know Paul?

I suppose it would give those of us who are Adam fans more "street cred" if Adam showed off a little more, but it's down to personal choice.

In some recent (2004-5) interviews, it sounded to me like Adam would like to play more, but he's not a solo artist. Even said he was a bit bored with playing straight 4/4 rock as early as 1985.

The average person on the street doesn't know a good bass line from a poor one.

Perhaps the same goes for guitar lines, but good or bad most people notice the guitar lines, they notice the singing, bass...not as much.

Even in heavy metal, the bass is often drowned out by the guitar/s.

I've become a student of the bass myself.. I mean, I know how tabs work, but I'm actually glad I did go back and re-learn how to read music in college, but I'm going off-topic.

Did you know Hulk Hogan was a bass player before becoming a wrestler?

Hulk Hogan vs. Mike Mills and Adam.

Last edited:
Have to give the nod to Mike Mills, musically and contribution wise. Nothing against Adam, but Mike Mills is an incredible musician. He does so much more for REM than just play bass.

To be honest though, I'm biased. I used to live in Athens as well and I too would see the members of REM walking around like regular people, undisturbed. Just go to the Globe in Athens and you've got at least a 50% chance of running into Michael Stipe.

Quick Story: While in Athens, a buddy of mine came in town to visit. We were at a place called the Georgia Bar and I was telling my friend how we'll probably see Stipe at some point. Almost on que, he walks into the bar. My friend was so impressed that he walked up to Michael who had just ordered a beer. Stipe turns around and my friend's just standing there. My friend says "Hi. Uh...I love your music...uh...can i buy you a beer?" Michael, who's holding a beer a just bought said "No, but you can give me some money for this one if you want."

hahaha, got to love Mr. Stipe

fans of every other band but U2 (probably bar exception to the rule or something) > U2 fans

thrillme said:

Did you know Hulk Hogan was a bass player before becoming a wrestler?

Hulk Hogan vs. Mike Mills and Adam.

Hulk Hogan wins with the speedo advantage.

Re: Adam's bass playing, I'm just saying it would be nice to hear some different "colors and scents" once in a while. It would be a sad day if got as good and cheesy as Jaco.

Mike Mills, because Mike Mills is awesome.

I love Adam, but I've gotta go with Mr. Mills.

Even though he has bad teeth ... but he wore those awesome Nudie suits on the Monster tour. And sings awesome backup vocals.

(I'm still sleepless in Seattle waiting for my Peter Buck encounter ... although it would help if I went to the Crocodile more often, which is owned by Buck's wife. My coworker went to a Young Fresh Fellows show there this weekend and was standing right next to Mr. Buck for a while. Me = jealous.)

X-it 7 said:
Have to give the nod to Mike Mills, musically and contribution wise. Nothing against Adam, but Mike Mills is an incredible musician. He does so much more for REM than just play bass.

I think Mike's talent is actually more integral to his band than Adam's playing is with U2. He's been in on the writing of some R.E.M.'s best work, like Be Mine and New Test Leper, from what I consider to be their best album.

In terms of style, Adam's playing is definitely more straight ahead and muscular, while Mike's is a little more quirky and nuanced.

Axver said:
Well, I'm not a big REM fan, but I'd have to say Mills contributes much more to REM than Adam does to U2. So I'll join with the "Mills > Adam" sentiment.

AGREED

Ladera Heights said:

Hulk Hogan wins with the speedo advantage.

Re: Adam's bass playing, I'm just saying it would be nice to hear some different "colors and scents" once in a while. It would be a sad day if got as good and cheesy as Jaco.

Really, a lot of bassist rave about Jaco.

Anyhow, I think Adam shines best in the live setting. I'm listening to a boot from the Irving Plaza gig from 2000, "I Will Follow" sounds so much fuller on it, he plays fingerstyle and adds a few slides, my favourite version of the song.

The live version of "With or Without You" on the Please single.

Some Vertigo versions of "One" he adds a wee bit to his basslines. Perhaps like Bono says, he gets to finish his songs, Adam gets to improve his lines too.

"New York" is so much better live!

Well that's the case with lots of U2 songs, improved in the live setting.

//////////

Michael Stipe is funny. I saw him on Saturday Night Live but in a sketch, not just as musical guest. It was funny.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom