Adam Clayton vs. Flea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The better bassist?

• Adam Clayton...... of U2 (duh!)

Votes: 59 41.8%
  • Flea..... of Red Hot Chili Peppers

Votes: 69 48.9%
  • I like both equally!

Votes: 13 9.2%

• Total voters
Ah see now this is a massive dilemma for me. In a vast majority of the RHCP's tracks, you can hear Flea loud and clear. His bass work is absolutely amazing. Take songs like Suck My Kiss and Throw Away Your Television. Both very complex bass lines that sound terrific. So far the closest I found to this in a U2 song is in Wire. The bass is kick-ass. But my problem is that in most songs, Adam strums the same bass line throughout the whole song. He carries it. Very well, but there isn't really a song I have found where Adam domiantes with a complex, able-to-hear-clearly bass line. That is what I want most from the next album - at least one song where Adam rules.

That said, Adam is terrific. In some songs, such as Bad, ABOY, Streets and The Fly there is a little section where he plays a small sequence which sounds really good. On BtBS he is great with Larry, the NYD line is awesome as well, pity the piano starts straight away on the album version. But Adam does play a very different role to Flea; and without Adam there would be no U2, although you could say that about any member.

As my RHCP friend put it: "The Red Hot Chilli Peppers are more about the bass, always have been, they concentrate less on the guitar, and John Frusciante was replaced for an album, One Hot Minute."
Then I said: "Yes, true. You can hear the guitar more in U2's songs than you can the bass at times."

I also think that Adam isn't very well known. Heck, when I began to really like the band, I had Adam and Larry confused. It wasn't till the performance at Live8 that I realised I had it wrong. If Adam had a nickname, he'd be more well known.

And of course, there may be a tad bias cos Flea was an Aussie boy.

Last edited:
I've read of a few people who work at music stores who get annoyed when someone comes in and starts playing the basses trying to be like Flea, slapping the strings

COBL_04 said:
Ah see now this is a massive dilemma for me. In a vast majority of the RHCP's tracks, you can hear Flea loud and clear. His bass work is absolutely amazing. Take songs like Suck My Kiss and Throw Away Your Television. Both very complex bass lines that sound terrific. So far the closest I found to this in a U2 song is in Wire. The bass is kick-ass. But my problem is that in most songs, Adam strums the same bass line throughout the whole song. He carries it. Very well, but there isn't really a song I have found where Adam domiantes with a complex, able-to-hear-clearly bass line. That is what I want most from the next album - at least one song where Adam rules.

I have a book with the standard bass notation for "With or Without You", even that song, is not the same bassline played over and over.
Complexity...not exactly, though some flexibility in the fingers is needed for the first one.
'able-to-hear', dominating basslines:

"A Man & a Woman"
"Vertigo"
"With or Without You" very simple bassline, but a very pronounced bassline.
"Endless Deep."
"Lemon."
That and I think Steve Lillywhite brings up the bass more than Eno/Lanois do when mixing the songs.

Let me ask you, (actually anyone reading this long post of mine) and be honest, off the top of your head, your first reaction, start humming "New Year's Day."

Now, same thing, don't think about it, just start humming to yourself, "With or Without You."

Did you hum the bass lines to these songs, or something else, a drum beat, guitar..etc?

As my RHCP friend put it: "The Red Hot Chilli Peppers are more about the bass, always have been, they concentrate less on the guitar, and John Frusciante was replaced for an album, One Hot Minute."
Then I said: "Yes, true. You can hear the guitar more in U2's songs than you can the bass at times."

Now see, this changes the dynamics and role of the bass lines in the band's songs. U2 is much more about the guitar, I mean, to some people U2 is only Edge, Bono and 2 other guys.

They fit their bands so well, are very much a part of their respective bands' sound, you couldn't switch the bassists and not know it. I've actually read of some posts which the person made it seem like you could get rid of Adam and still get the "U2 sound." Put Flea in U2, it won't sound like U2, it'll sound like RHCP. Put Adam in RHCP, and ye know, you might think you were listening to a U2 song. There are times when John kinda gets that Edge-like sound so it's possible.

I'll bet more people know who Flea and Jimmie Hendrix are than Victor Wooten.

Last edited:
I love Adam and all, but....if I said Adam was the better bassist, it would be like if I was asked, 'Who is the better drummer, Larry Mullen Jr. or John Bonham?', and I said Larry Mullen Jr. because he's in U2.

COBL_04 said:

If Adam had a nickname, he'd be more well known.

He does have the 'Silver Fox' tag, but it's not quite as gripping.

I vote Flea. He's the anchor for his band, while Adam is one of four propellers.

namkcuR said:
I love Adam and all, but....if I said Adam was the better bassist, it would be like if I was asked, 'Who is the better drummer, Larry Mullen Jr. or John Bonham?', and I said Larry Mullen Jr. because he's in U2.

Dude theres this huge difference like , Flea is a great , but average great bassist , while Adam prefer to not be a showman , and show all his skills .

While John Bonham is a legendary drummer rocker , as much as u like and praise the Flea , theres no such comparation.

lol ya...there is no way in hell larry mullen jr is a better drummer than john bonham. ya LMJ is in my favorite band and thats all fine and dandy, but there is no compairson at all between bonham and mullen jr.

its harder as for flea and adam, i'd of course go with FLEA, hes an amazing bass guitarist, one of the best ive ever heard. its a tough call just cause I love Adam so much and i do think he is a criminally underrated bass player. but in the end, flea is more talented. love the chilli peppers.

Flea is probably the best bass player in a band that gets played on the radio. Adam holds things together well, but a lot of other bass players hold things together well, as well. Flea is better.

Mr. MIKEphisto said:
This is so silly.

Flea is like 1000 times better than Adam!

I'm not even a Peppers fan and I know that.

The point is:

-Adam can't play things Flea can
-Flea can play everything Adam plays with his eyes closed, with his feet

Since you don't know what Adam plays off the record, how can you even make a statement like that?

I'll take the Bassline in New Years Day over anything Flea has done for the RHCP. Its not about technical flash, but what is beautiful,memorable and works for the song.

Gotta agree with STING2 , that wasnt the smartest comment by Mr. MIKEphisto

Zootlesque said:
Axver: I meant to put the third option in as 'Both are equally good'. Sorry! :banghead:

thrillme: This thread is not meant to be insulting to Adam. I like both but think Flea is better. But I was curious about what U2 fans in general thought. Guess I've got my answer now.

Yeah really! It's amazing how some people are so blind in their devotion to U2 that they don't even acknowledge other musicians! :huh:

I still love U2 for the majority of their output and they're still my favorite band but I can admit that they don't have the single greatest ever bassist, guitar player, drummer or singer!

Did it occur to you that some people might be blind in their devotion to Flea?

STING2 said:

Since you don't know what Adam plays off the record, how can you even make a statement like that?

I'll take the Bassline in New Years Day over anything Flea has done for the RHCP. Its not about technical flash, but what is beautiful,memorable and works for the song.

If anyone has heard Adam play like flea, I apologize, but nobody has/will.

I'm sure Adam would be the first to admit to this.

It's an assumption taken from years of live shows and listening to U2 albums. (Not to mention Adams modest attitude in interviews, and the fact that he felt he needed lessons later in his career).

Nobody knows for sure, but it's pretty clear that Flea is one hella bassist, better than Adam, and most other Bassists out there.

I like New Years Day better than ANY Chilis Song, but the Bassline isn't exactly rocket science. anyone with an above basic knowledge of a bass guitar could play it.

Also, I'm not sure about this, but are we even sure Adam came up with those Basslines?

Mr. MIKEphisto said:

It's an assumption taken from years of live shows and listening to U2 albums. (Not to mention Adams modest attitude in interviews, and the fact that he felt he needed lessons later in his career).

Nobody knows for sure, but it's pretty clear that Flea is one hella bassist, better than Adam, and most other Bassists out there.

I like New Years Day better than ANY Chilis Song, but the Bassline isn't exactly rocket science. anyone with an above basic knowledge of a bass guitar could play it.

:up:

The question was not "Who has the more memorable bass lines?" it was "Who is the better bass player?" And I'm sorry, people, but Flea is better. It has nothing to do with preference. Flea is not just respected by fans of the Red Hot Chili Peppers; he is respected by non-fans and musicians in other bands alike. He's not THE greatest bass player around, but he has managed to secure a place amongst the very best. Look at any list of the top fifty bass players in popular music - Flea will be there. Adam won't.

I'm personally not a big fan of bass slapping - it gets annoying to listen to after a little while.

In music, a great idea executed in an average fashion is usually better than an average idea executed in a great fashion.

Mr. MIKEphisto said:

Also, I'm not sure about this, but are we even sure Adam came up with those Basslines?

I read somewhere that Flea came from a musically inclined family, Adam was a self-taught bassist, up until 1994.

I think taking lessons shows that he takes his role seriously, and he went to one of the top instructors.

"I don't use the word "brilliant" lightly, but Adam was a brilliant student. I'd give him a monster exercise one week, and he'd have it perfectly the next. It was a pleasure to see how far I could push him. I never did find his limit." --Patrick Pfeiffer, author of "In Search of the Groove" & "Bass Guitars for Dummies."

What do you mean, play like Flea?

Isn't Flea mostly known for his style of playing, his early on, heavy "slap bass"? Flea did not invent "slap bass" but I'm sure most people here know that, he's just a little more known for it. If you don't think Adam can play slap bass, check out live versions of "Gloria," "I threw a brick through a window" "Surrender" "An Cat Dubh" "Wire" he even does a bit of slap in "Pride" but not on any official videos. Adam was experimenting with slap bass before the Red Hot Chili Peppers even formed.

Adam plays 3 styles of bass playing in one song. "Gloria" starts out with a pick, towards the middle he loses the pick and plays fingerstyle, then plays the last part "slap" style.

I've a few bootlegs from earlier gigs, Adam could play the fast slap bass Flea is so famous for, if he felt like playing that way. Which seems to annoy musical instrument store personell to no end when someone comes in and starts beating the strings on a bass trying to emulate Flea.

Flea better than Adam sure, but I wouldn't go around saying Flea is better than most bassists out there. He's maybe in the top 30, but not in the top 10, not even.

I definitely prefer Adam's bass tone to most other rock bassists, including Flea.

Adam may not play complicated bass parts, nor be a technical wizard, but his lines do fit the songs. Really, that should be the most important thing. The technical stuff, honestly, I think only other musicians or people who pay attention to that stuff would be interested.

Adam can only play as flashy and complicated as the rest of his bandmates on record and live, keep that in mind. Think some of you are forgetting about this little, but important aside.

Think about it, Edge isn't a flashy, technical wizard on guitar, Larry is not a flashy drummer, Bono hardly plays the guitar. Adam playing like Flea would be a bit out of place. He would stand out more, but would he be 'in synch' with his bandmates and what they're playing?

This must be what Bono means when he says there's a band ego, everyone submits to the will of the group.

it depends...

If you like to eat chips, Clayton is your man

If you like hot spicy salsa to dip your chips, and some mexican beer, and ladies belly dancing around you, then Flea is your man

Mr. MIKEphisto said:

A bassline does NOT have to be Rocket Science or something that an amuture could play to be great! How technically difficult it is to play a piece of music has nothing to do with how great it is. I'm surprised you would even be listening to rock music let alone someone like Flea if you in fact believe that.

Its evident from past interviews that is the case. Miracle Drug started with Adams bassline for the song. Yes its true, Adam does actually play a very important role in the band.

Oh, I'm sure there are plenty of people who have heard Adam play and do different things that do not show up in U2's work. You only get to see what Adam does with the band, and you can't really make a comment on Adam's ability without seeing what he can do apart from U2.

GibsonGirl said:

:up:

The question was not "Who has the more memorable bass lines?" it was "Who is the better bass player?" And I'm sorry, people, but Flea is better. It has nothing to do with preference. Flea is not just respected by fans of the Red Hot Chili Peppers; he is respected by non-fans and musicians in other bands alike. He's not THE greatest bass player around, but he has managed to secure a place amongst the very best. Look at any list of the top fifty bass players in popular music - Flea will be there. Adam won't.

Opinion polls don't determine ones actual ability. Being more popular and respected, does not mean one is actually better at doing something.

Numb1075 said:
it depends...

If you like to eat chips, Clayton is your man

If you like hot spicy salsa to dip your chips, and some mexican beer, and ladies belly dancing around you, then Flea is your man

There has been far more belly dancing to Adam's grooves than to Flea's!:wink:

If you like to watch someone masterbate, Flea is your man.:wink:

STING2 said:

Ha ha ha!

No really, ha!

^ Add an extra 'Ha!' from me.

thrillme said:

This must be what Bono means when he says there's a band ego, everyone submits to the will of the group.

This is a good point, and it illustrates the difference between U2 and the Peppers. U2 are a group of four average musicians (by their own admission) who become much more than that when they crank it out together. They are the epitome of a 'band,' and a great example of how collaborating can create a kind of magic that's hard to pin down.

But the biggest difference between the two bands is the fact that the Peppers could play music as individuals long before they became a group.

I love U2 more than anything (including the Peppers). But, if I was about to make a movie, and needed a session player for the score, Flea would instantly get the call over Adam. Without hesitation.

This speaks to the brilliance of Flea, but also to the collective greatness of U2--a band who, live, are actually much better than the Peppers. Go figure.

angelordevil said:

I love U2 more than anything (including the Peppers). But, if I was about to make a movie, and needed a session player for the score, Flea would instantly get the call over Adam. Without hesitation.

This speaks to the brilliance of Flea

So your saying that Flea is brilliant because you would select him to do your movie score?

STING2 said:

:laugh:

Flea comes up with basslines you can exercise to, get your heart pumping.

Adam comes up with basslines you can make love to. Especially on Zooropa and Pop!

Back
Top Bottom