Adam clayton on lead guitar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AussieU2fanman

Refugee
What's the deal with adam at the red rocks concert? Why did he play lead guitar during 40? And why did everyone keep walking on and off during 40? Has anyone else heard or seen adam playing lead guitar in any other songs and can someone please explain what happened during 40 at the red rocks concert in 1983. Ta

Edge and Adam often switch instruments when playing 40.

Also, the band members leave the stage individually throughout the song; I think the last to leave is Larry.

I remember reading somewhere that Adam Clayton refused to play 40 so in the studio, Edge did it. Live, Adam needed something to do so he'd pick up Edge's guitar and make noises with it. How accurate that is, I don't know.

To quote Adam: "I may not be the best bassist in U2, but I am the fucking bassist!"

During various performances of 40 that I have audio of, it sounds like all the band members leave the stage, leaving Larry drumming, and then come back as an encore to the encore or something.

AussieU2fanman said:
What's the deal with adam at the red rocks concert? Why did he play lead guitar during 40? And why did everyone keep walking on and off during 40? Has anyone else heard or seen adam playing lead guitar in any other songs and can someone please explain what happened during 40 at the red rocks concert in 1983. Ta

The song "40" was written when U2 were about to leave the studio with like 1 hour to go. Bono just got a verse off the Bible and they quickly made it into a song. Being the slacker that he is, Adam had already left the studio by then. So it was Edge who did the bass in the studio version of "40".

Since Edge did the bass in the studio version of "40", he also did it during the live version because at that time, the bass lines Edge added to the song were too difficult and complicated for Adam to learn back then. So Edge would be the one to play the bass live and Adam would just do "fillers" with the lead guitar live.

Sometime 1995-96, Adam stayed in New York to take bass guitar lessons (amen! finally!). By this time, he was already equipped with the skill and talent to finally learn to play the bass lines of "40". Unfortunately, U2 did not play "40" in the Popmart Tour full bad with a bass guitar (they did a version with only the electric lead guitar), nor was "40" part of the regular rotation of songs in the Elevation Tour. Still being the same slacker he was back in 1983, up to this day Adam still hasn't learned to play the bass lines of "40".

Cheers,

J

Re: Re: Adam clayton on lead guitar

jick said:

The song "40" was written when U2 were about to leave the studio with like 1 hour to go. Bono just got a verse off the Bible and they quickly made it into a song. Being the slacker that he is, Adam had already left the studio by then. So it was Edge who did the bass in the studio version of "40".

Since Edge did the bass in the studio version of "40", he also did it during the live version because at that time, the bass lines Edge added to the song were too difficult and complicated for Adam to learn back then. So Edge would be the one to play the bass live and Adam would just do "fillers" with the lead guitar live.

Sometime 1995-96, Adam stayed in New York to take bass guitar lessons (amen! finally!). By this time, he was already equipped with the skill and talent to finally learn to play the bass lines of "40". Unfortunately, U2 did not play "40" in the Popmart Tour full bad with a bass guitar (they did a version with only the electric lead guitar), nor was "40" part of the regular rotation of songs in the Elevation Tour. Still being the same slacker he was back in 1983, up to this day Adam still hasn't learned to play the bass lines of "40".

Cheers,

J

J, you say these things as if they are absolute fact rather than your bizarre perception of events. Could I suggest that you start mails like this with, "in my opinion" or "the way I see things is.." so that people how view these pages might not confuse your mails with fact.

Yeah...what a load of bullshit...you speak of Adam Clayton like he could barely play the Bass at all..do you, what? Turn down the bass when listening to your U2 records..? It sounds like there's some decent bass-playing going on there to me..

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Adam clayton on lead guitar

Jim said:

J, you say these things as if they are absolute fact rather than your bizarre perception of events. Could I suggest that you start mails like this with, "in my opinion" or "the way I see things is.." so that people how view these pages might not confuse your mails with fact.

Perhaps you can also preface your post saying "J, IN MY OWN OPINION you say these things as if they are absolute fact rather than your bizarre perception of events" --- but no, you don't have to. I am learned enough to know that this is a U2 message board where everyone posts their opinion. It is too cumbersome if everyone in this board were required to preface every sentence with IN MY OPINION. Just my two cents...

Cheers,

J

Originally posted by
Yeah...what a load of bullshit...you speak of Adam Clayton like he could barely play the Bass at all..do you, what? Turn down the bass when listening to your U2 records..? It sounds like there's some decent bass-playing going on there to me..

I THINK it's quite an understatement to say there is "some decent bass-playing going on there" --- I would rate Clayton as pretty good - not just "decent". Clayton and Mullen form one of the tightest rhythm section in rock'n'roll history IN MY OWN OPINION.

Cheers,

J

Last edited by a moderator:
I stand corrected on my previous post and unfortunately I cannot edit it anymore.

It is a FACT that Clayton was not with the band when "40" was recorded in the studio.

But I have a misappreciation of facts when I stated as fact that U2 had around one hour to go. The REAL FACT is that U2 recorded "40" in 40 minutes, but that had nothing to do with the song being called "40". Bono said in his introduction to "40" in the 4/29/1987 Chicago Joshua Tree show that when the band were being kicked out of the studio during the recording of the War album they spent 10 minutes writing it, 10 minutes recording it, 10 minutes mixing it, and 10 minutes playing it back again but that it had nothing to do with why it was called "40".

So there, I am not infallible and I do make factual errors. And I truly apologize for mixing up the actual time, which wasn't 1 hour but more like 40 minutes.

Cheers,

J

What are you guys talking about!

Of course Adam can play the bass lines to 40! He can play them in his sleep! If he can play the lines to Bad, he can play the lines to 40! They're so easy!

During the Lovetown Tour (New Year's Show especially) Adam plays lead guitar an busts out the wah pedal...got to say that it was pretty cool

------------------------------------

This was in 1983 right? From what I've heard and read about this period of time, Adam just wasn't into the other members' Christian beliefs, they weren't all on one page, so to speak, so there was some bit of tension. Slacker? He played bass for all of "War," except on one song, and that makes him a slacker?!

"Clayton and Mullen form one of the tightest rhythm section in rock'n'roll history IN MY OWN OPINION."

Then you write this?

:scratch: It's like shaking someone's hand with one hand, and slapping them in the face with the other IMO.

U2 exemplify what it means to be a band, no line up changes (much to some peoples chagrin), still friends, they like hanging out with each other, still performing, last tour was one of the highest grossing ever.

Adam's given the most positive comments about Bono's "outside" band activities. Larry said its probably the most important thing he'll ever do, but Adam's had a more positive opinion.

p.s. Lazy people work twice as hard.

Last edited:
Geezles! This sounds like the pick on Adam thread.Give the guy some credit for trying.And the song is based on Psalm 40 in the Bible..:angel:
Another thing..some songs are hard to play,i try to mimic what Adam is playing and believe me IT'S HARD.So don't play down on him..:grumpy:

thrillme said:
This was in 1983 right? From what I've heard and read about this period of time, Adam just wasn't into the other members' Christian beliefs, they weren't all on one page, so to speak, so there was some bit of tension. Slacker? He played bass for all of "War," except on one song, and that makes him a slacker?!

It is a hard fact admitted by the band many times that Clayton was not in the studio when "40" was recorded. His refusal to play the bass of "40" has nothing to do with his refusal to be a Christian. Following your flawed hypothesis, then there should have been countless other Bible-influenced U2 songs that Clayton wouldn't have played the bass for. However, being the consummate teammate and role-player, Clayton will play any bass line he is tasked to play. "40" was just an exception because Clayton wasn't in the studio when that song was recorded.

Cheers,

J

I THINK it's quite an understatement to say there is "some decent bass-playing going on there" --- I would rate Clayton as pretty good - not just "decent".

:wink: aahh, wonderful, Jick. Trying to turn that one on me...stop twisting my words...if anything, Adam's Bass is the primary thing I would hum along to while listening to U2. 'twasn't me who was seriously condeming Adam Clayton's Bass Playing. So stop trying to sour every topic you enter. you're like bloody King Midas in reverse...everything you touch turns to rust.

also, anyone wondering...yes the Jpeg. Format has no mercy upon my lovely, youthful face...I am actually a damn sexy guy...no seriously..it's a really low quality image...my lips are looking quite bizarre..

Last edited:
Originally posted by

Paddy-Jick.jpg

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why dont we all go have a big cry because someone said something other then U2 is the greatest.

I dont think Edge is all that great of a guitar player compared with others. I like his playing but there are tons of more talented people. U2 isnt a musically or instumentally GREAT band, their spirt and their voices are what makes them great not their rifs, which they have next to none of.

bonoman said:
Why dont we all go have a big cry because someone said something other then U2 is the greatest.

I dont think Edge is all that great of a guitar player compared with others. I like his playing but there are tons of more talented people. U2 isnt a musically or instumentally GREAT band, their spirt and their voices are what makes them great not their rifs, which they have next to none of.

I don't anybody is disagreeing with you old boy. I think people are just challenging a statement that's factually incorrect.

Jim said:

I don't anybody is disagreeing with you old boy. I think people are just challenging a statement that's factually incorrect.

My my factual inaccruacy was that I originally mentioned that U2 had ONE HOUR left of studio time when in fact they only had FORTY MINUTES. So I missed the correct time by 20 minutes and that is a big mistake because 20 minutes is an enternity. But it is fact that Clayton was not in the studio when 40 was recorded.

Also, I'd like to believe that it is a fact that Clayton does "good bass playing" and not just "decent bass playing."

Cheers,

J

bonoman said:

I think that each member of the band, contributes to the spirit of U2 (the members have said/implied the same sentiment), makes them who they are, that's I think what many fans are drawn to, the people who make the music.

Personally I can't stand many of the Beatles early songs, she loves you yeah yeah, lmnop I think you're swell...., I wanna hold your hand, and there kinda the benchmark, the litmus test of a band, so to speak. I know people who don't think the Beatles are the best band ever, could be Rollingstones, could be the Who.

Most U2 fans have healthy dissention, but to say that to replace or have any member leave, and the band would somehow be better.... that doesn't fly.

Last edited:
jick said:

My my factual inaccruacy was that I originally mentioned that U2 had ONE HOUR left of studio time when in fact they only had FORTY MINUTES. So I missed the correct time by 20 minutes and that is a big mistake because 20 minutes is an enternity. But it is fact that Clayton was not in the studio when 40 was recorded.

Also, I'd like to believe that it is a fact that Clayton does "good bass playing" and not just "decent bass playing."

Cheers,

J

and the rest..! for example, that Clayton had to have bass lessons in the 90s before he was able to play '40'..etc.etc.etc.etc..

Total bollox.

Jim said:

and the rest..! for example, that Clayton had to have bass lessons in the 90s before he was able to play '40'..etc.etc.etc.etc..

Total bollox.

It is fact that Clayton had bass lessons in the years preceding POP. It is fact that up to this day Clayton has not played the bass of "40".

I never ever said that Clayton's bass lessons in the 90's was to let him learn to play "40". He wouldn't need bass lessons for that, all he'd need would be to ask Edge how to play it then he's good to go - after all it is the Edge who wrote and played the bass line to "40" in the studio.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

Cheers,

J

Christ, let that go would you? I thin kClayton is one of the best bassists around. The word 'decent' i would probably use in any situation...i used the term lightly when speaking of his playing, and i'm aware that many people may say the words..."Aaaw, Decent!" when in high spirits...so the argument your trying to make out of my words which you rather unfairly twisted...is now, to me, invalid. :)

Cheers,

P

Back
Top Bottom