Adam appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thrillme

Refugee
I wanted to put one of these up a while ago, but wasn't sure if this or Pleba was more appropriate, but after seeing the Larry one, I thought this okay, and well, he doesn't get as much "props."

-------------------------------

The guts to wear an blond afro.

"Having sex involves one person, making love involves two."-Adam

Q :"What's more important the sun or the moon?

Adam: "The sun, because it brings new life and a new day"

"There was a night in L.A. in the early part of the tour when we had a death threat that the police were taking very seriously indeed. Someone had sent the gun license into the U2 offices and they thought he had gotten into the venue. All of a sudden there were all these people on the stage which I really objected to. I never thought that sort of thing would bother me and, when I went out, it didn't. I just laughed it off, like The Blues Brothers - 'We're on a mission from God and we ain't finished yet.' The second night came up and the cops came up to us just before we were about to go on and said they'd made a mistake, He was coming tonight! "Now we get all kinds of racist jibes because we wrote a song for Martin Luther King, or pinko jibes because we did the Amnesty International Tour. Wherever you look we're a target for the loony fringe. So the second night, we're on stage and I'm singing 'Pride' thinking, 'If someone is going to do it, it will be during this number.' So I crouched down on the stage, shut my eyes and for a moment the thought of death crossed my mind. When I looked up I just saw Adam standing over me, between me and the crowd. It was a good, good moment."--Bono

"I just looked at him and said, I wanna be in band with him."--Larry

ANd of course, "New Year's Day" bass lines.

Last edited:
Clayton is just a hack riding on the cottails of 3 brilliant musicians. He is lucky to be in U2. Dick Evans shouldn't have left U2, he should have just picked up the bass and booted Clayton out there and then. And U2 would have become a much much greater band then they are now.

Cheers,

J

you obviously know nothing about the bass and couldn't tell a good bass line if it bit you in the ass.

who's your favorite bassist? the guy from avril lavinge's band?

jick said:
Clayton is just a hack riding on the cottails of 3 brilliant musicians. He is lucky to be in U2. Dick Evans shouldn't have left U2, he should have just picked up the bass and booted Clayton out there and then. And U2 would have become a much much greater band then they are now.

Cheers,

J

Jick, I know that you used a winking smiley, so I don't know how serious you are about this...so forgive me if I am making something out of nothing, but this is an APPRECIATION thread. According to the FAQ:

"In addition, if someone wishes to start a thread to appreciate a specific band or album, please be courteous and do not start a flame war or bash that band or album in that thread."

This goes for band members as well. Please be respectful that this is an appreciation thread. Thanks!

Bonochick said:

Jick, I know that you used a winking smiley, so I don't know how serious you are about this...so forgive me if I am making something out of nothing, but this is an APPRECIATION thread. According to the FAQ:

"In addition, if someone wishes to start a thread to appreciate a specific band or album, please be courteous and do not start a flame war or bash that band or album in that thread."

This goes for band members as well. Please be respectful that this is an appreciation thread. Thanks!

Don't fret, it's just J. Sometimes his medication runs out and he starts spouting shite on U2 forums (he's been doing it for years). It's best not to bite back...he won't return the favour (with any intelligence at least).

Adam IS the coolest member of U2, but more importantly than that he is one quarter of the greatest band in the world - take away ANY member and the legend ceases to be.

He has wit, intelligence, has been to hell and back, and has NEVER got too big for his rock star boots (cough, Bono).

JOFO said:
you obviously know nothing about the bass and couldn't tell a good bass line if it bit you in the ass.

Hey oooh whoa, some people got their knickers on a little too tight. Touchy people here.

Of course I don't know much about the bass, I'm a fan of U2, must have missed the memo saying I needed an advanced degree in music, and bass playing, to be one. As much as some don't like it, he is the bass player of U2, and this is a U2 forum.

Hmm, I don't know much about Avril's band, some anonymous back up band anyway I'm sure.

I posted some quotes from and about Adam, to show he's articulate, smart, well-rounded, seemingly a gentleman. Women do like those qualities in men, he could be the worst bass player, wouldn't take away from him as a person. He was their first manager, got gigs lined up, first one who really believed in the band (Bono's words).

Because he didn't get formal lessons, he's the "rider of coattails." I thought part of the appeal to punk, was that you didn't have to be proficient, or have formal training. What do I know, just a silly woman eh.

Knew it, try to avoid the shallow, and go with something more, and well, it is against forum policy to discuss the members, em, members. Perhaps I should have though, there are pics without the shamrock on A Baby. Could've had a large appreciation thread. (sorry mods)

Last edited:
JOFO said:

Geddy Lee is my favorite bassist. I rank Clayton higher than Avril's bassist.

Cheers,

J

Bonochick said:

The winking smiley says it all. It is always great to have a one dissenter in a million appreciation threads for Clayton. It achieves two things: (1) Proves that this forum is a democracy that promotes free speech; and, (2) Lures the passionate Clayton supporters out of lurkdom to post in the Clayton appreciation thread, thereby making this thread more successful with more participation. Nevertheless, as the saying goes, jokes are always half-meant. I believe Clayton is an integral part of U2 and helped them become the great band they are now. But back to a hypothetical question I posed months ago: if U2 had to replace one and only one member, who would be the most replaceable? In my mind it is Clayton, not because of his lack of skill or contribution, but because of his relatively simple bass lines. A roadie has replaced Clayton in one show, do you think Bono's roadie would have filled in for Bono if his voice were shot? Or Edge roadie for Edge? I doubt. But Clayton is a great guy and great musician, don't get me wrong. I do appreciate the man.

Cheers,

J

ILuvLarryMullen said:
thrillme - jofo was refering to jick, not you :)

Hmm, really? cos I can't tell, sorry if that's the case Jofo. Well I'm just confused now.

Is there a way to tell who is being responded to, I thought it was a response to the appreciation thread.

jick said:

The winking smiley says it all. It is always great to have a one dissenter in a million appreciation threads for Clayton. It achieves two things: (1) Proves that this forum is a democracy that promotes free speech; and, (2) Lures the passionate Clayton supporters out of lurkdom to post in the Clayton appreciation thread, thereby making this thread more successful with more participation. Nevertheless, as the saying goes, jokes are always half-meant. I believe Clayton is an integral part of U2 and helped them become the great band they are now. But back to a hypothetical question I posed months ago: if U2 had to replace one and only one member, who would be the most replaceable? In my mind it is Clayton, not because of his lack of skill or contribution, but because of his relatively simple bass lines. A roadie has replaced Clayton in one show, do you think Bono's roadie would have filled in for Bono if his voice were shot? Or Edge roadie for Edge? I doubt. But Clayton is a great guy and great musician, don't get me wrong. I do appreciate the man.

Cheers,

J

He's the underdog of the band, less known, heck, would you like to be known as, "former fiancee of Naomi Campbell." I've seen plenty of articles about him, that bring that up, like he's more known for that, then his playing. Is it that bad?

I almost feel sorry for him, then remember he could fit a football (soccer) field in his backyard. Sympathy only goes so far. ;)

I don't think you could replace any one band member, one gig is one thing, doing a Van Halen, or Guns and Roses, that's something else.

Adam is a excellent bass player.That's why i loove him so much.The way he learned is amazing.Like i said a long time ago.UI'm trying to be a female version of him.He has a unique playing style that no one can compare to..so..:madspit: on the haters!

I :heart: :adam:

thrilllme - there isn't a way to tell who's talking to whom for sure unless they quote you, but he made that reply right after jick (who talks about avril lavigne, which is where that comes from). if you read those two posts you should be able to tell how they go together. no one attacks anyone here for making an appreciation thread :)

I was indeed referring to jick, thrillme.

he and I have, ummm,....."disagreed" many times before.

thank you ILuvLarryMullen, for clarifying things.:wink:

jick:
Geddy Lee?
I used to play Rush bass lines when I was 16.

Adam is the more mature bassist.
by far.
who cares if Geddy plays with more chops?

Last edited:
Chizip said:
is thrillme really Adam? :hmm:

*checks* Nope. He may not bother if people don't like his bass playing, but that's what fans are for. ;)

I still a newbie here, I don't know Jick from anyone else.

"no one attacks anyone here for making an appreciation thread"

Yeah, I thought that was the point of it. If you're going to do the opposite....

------------------

Well, back to thread's intention.

In R&Hum, where he plays the bass with one hand, doesn't hold the rest of it with the other hand as normal, just plays like that, that was cool.

AdamsPoptart said:
Adam is a excellent bass player.That's why i loove him so much.The way he learned is amazing.Like i said a long time ago.UI'm trying to be a female version of him.He has a unique playing style that no one can compare to..so..:madspit: on the haters!

I :heart: :adam:

I play bass too, my inspiration to begin to play was Adam, one of my 3 favorite bass players of all time (John Paul Jones and John Eintwistle complete the list), I like his way to play, almost like Edge... less is more philosophy

:up: :adam:

thrillme said:
I wanted to put one of these up a while ago, but wasn't sure if this or Pleba was more appropriate, but after seeing the Larry one, I thought this okay, and well, he doesn't get as much "props."

-------------------------------

The guts to wear an blond afro.

"Having sex involves one person, making love involves two."-Adam

Q :"What's more important the sun or the moon?

Adam: "The sun, because it brings new life and a new day"

"There was a night in L.A. in the early part of the tour when we had a death threat that the police were taking very seriously indeed. Someone had sent the gun license into the U2 offices and they thought he had gotten into the venue. All of a sudden there were all these people on the stage which I really objected to. I never thought that sort of thing would bother me and, when I went out, it didn't. I just laughed it off, like The Blues Brothers - 'We're on a mission from God and we ain't finished yet.' The second night came up and the cops came up to us just before we were about to go on and said they'd made a mistake, He was coming tonight! "Now we get all kinds of racist jibes because we wrote a song for Martin Luther King, or pinko jibes because we did the Amnesty International Tour. Wherever you look we're a target for the loony fringe. So the second night, we're on stage and I'm singing 'Pride' thinking, 'If someone is going to do it, it will be during this number.' So I crouched down on the stage, shut my eyes and for a moment the thought of death crossed my mind. When I looked up I just saw Adam standing over me, between me and the crowd. It was a good, good moment."--Bono

"I just looked at him and said, I wanna be in band with him."--Larry

ANd of course, "New Year's Day" bass lines.
The LA show where Adam moves between Bono & the crowd to protect him...what else can you say? This is a man who is willing to put his life on the line for his friend! I always thought that Adam was the very epitome of COOL, but when I read that bit from Bono's book, I realized that there was so much more to Adam. It's hard to descibe how much I do appreciate him now. :angel:

Besides, how can you not love a man who has the balls to wear a skirt?! And make it look sexy!! :happy:

Back
Top Bottom