"Acrobat" Live: U2's Biggest Mistake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aardvark747 said:

I have it, but am so p.c shit that I wouldnt know how to send it to you! You're best bet is to go and request it in the Music On The Internet section...:wink:

it's ok. i have dial-up connection anyway, so it would take me forever to dl it from yr e-mail.

Definitely the band's biggest failure. I still don't give hope that we will hear Acrobat, arguably a song that belongs in the band's top 5, in its live rendition.

(someone said something a bit like) I'm not sure how recognised the song would be...

sorry, but does it REALLY matter?? Just because people won't cheer and start passing round the kleenex the SECOND they hear it because there's no real opening riff (and Edge is hardly going to try and replicate that bit of mucking around/setting up he did on the original record) doesn't mean it would give the audience brain damage for sheer awesomeness, etc...

Watch 'The Fly' on Elevation boston...without looking at the tracklisting, would you have recognised that? Probably not...and what happens...it turns into the songs best live outing in history...no arguments.

Aardvark747 said:

Wasn't When I Look....played live?:eyebrow:

As a snippet of Bad during one or two Elevation shows. At least Acrobat got the full band treatment multiple times during rehearsal.

Cheers,

J

No, it didn't get full band treatment - that's the point.

Jick, I am so sick of you bashing and dismissing POP as if it were a fact that it was a bad record or a fact that it was a mistake. The fact is that there are MANY people like me who rank POP up with U2's best work(aka AB/JT). You piss people off when you get on your soapbox and make these idiotic proclomations as if you know what's fact and what's not and everyone else's opinion doesn't count. You come off as condescending.

POP
:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

ditto, Aardvark! :rockon: By a strange coincidence, i was listening to Acrobat lastnight&that song totally rocks. Fantastic drumming on that Larry, man! :up: :larry:

Aardvark747 said:
Bullet-Acrobat on Vertigo Tour....

:rockon:
:wink:

Maybe they're saving it for their last ever tour.
They realized its live-potential years ago but wanted to save it, make us beg until it was finally played live?

Probably not though.

discothequeLP said:
"......EVERYONE wants the band to play it, EVERYONE is dying to hear it live. Imagine what the audience would do?! It would be the highlight of every show. I heard Bono's quote about meditating in a tree or some other BS like that, and I thought, Bono, just try the damn song. Everyone would love you guys for it!

The original quote was actually directed at The Edge [close paraphrase}.... "Edge would have to meditate for 3 days, in order to play Acrobat..."

I really also want(ed) to hear it LIVE!, but the quote was funny enough for me to remeber it.

reminds of the years [mid-70's] when we Who superfans [me & my friends] would joke that almost every seriousWho fan would come running from all over The States & parts International, if they played a concert of even 'just' these 3 songs.... "The Song is Over, Pure & Easy, and Love Reign Over Me".

and now we serious U2 fans want just one song. :laugh: :laugh:

Btw we finally did get to hear 'Love Reign Over Me' on the Who's 'last' [pre 90's] 2 tours.

The first time we were at Shea Stadium {NYC/Mets} {The Clash :up: :up:were one of 2 openers}, I think I was secretely taping the show, maybe saying something to one of our group, when my sib dug her nails into my arm because she caught the very first quiet 3 notes of the piano intro ....."Listen!!!" Then I caught on to the next several piano notes. Practically everyone in the stadium then GASPED, then cheered as they recognized it. Then we all went silent.

and how about LAPOE/Acrobat or UTTEOTW/Acrobat ? :D

Last edited:
Re: Re: "Acrobat" Live: U2's Biggest Mistake

dazzledbylight said:

"Edge would have to meditate for 3 days, in order to play Acrobat..."

Well there's 4 days between Brussells and Manchester, plenty of time

It's been said many times, the band cannot play this live. On the last tour, Bono even told the crowd once that he and Edge would have to meditate in a tree for a month to play it live, though it was one of their favorite tunes.

Back
Top Bottom