Acrobat Live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RocknRollKitty said:
Everyone who keeps saying there's 'no reason' or they 'should' be able to play it live, look at it this way: obviously, there IS, because they DON'T. We must respect their feelings on this.

Prove it.

They even REHEARSED it, so they clearly considered playing it live. Here's my logic: it didn't make the ZooTV setlist because they simply couldn't find a position in the set for it that they liked, and it didn't make subsequent tours because it's a low-profile Achtung song and other tunes have taken preference. Not to mention the fact that until The First Time on this tour, not a single song had ever been played on a later tour if it had not been played on the tour supporting the album on which it appears.

All this "too difficult" or "too personal" talk doesn't seem to have any factual basis considering Acrobat was rehearsed - and it made the final rehearsal before the public one, so it got quite a long way through the rehearsal stage too.

Too difficult?... too personal?... :|

I think the only one reason why they haven´t play live this tune is that they don´t want it :(

RocknRollKitty said:
Everyone who keeps saying there's 'no reason' or they 'should' be able to play it live, look at it this way: obviously, there IS, because they DON'T. We must respect their feelings on this.

I strongly disagree with you :| a relationship between a band and their fanbase is NOT a dictatorship, so we shouldn´t be quiet and accept every band´s choice just because they want it :silent:

its a straightforward song, awesome arrangement. i think they just decided not to play it on zootv perhaps cause it didn't fit and since then they just haven't tried 2 squeeze it into the set

david said:
Wait, so they were going to open some ZooTV shows with this then segue into Zoo Station?

That's weird.

it is such a weird idea. i wonder why they thought it had to go at the start???

is it actually proven fact that this was the intended opener? (Acrobat--->Zoo Station)

I really don't think U2 would start a show with a solo vocal and guitar song. No matter what would follow (a nice full band performance of Zoo Station) it just doesn't sound feasible that they would open a concert like Zoo TV with a stripped down performance of Acrobat in front of thousands of people.

ponkine said:

I strongly disagree with you :| a relationship between a band and their fanbase is NOT a dictatorship, so we shouldn´t be quiet and accept every band´s choice just because they want it :silent:

I may WANT Joe Theissman to get back in the game and toss a few passes, and he may want to, but he CAN'T!

There is a reason they are not playing it! I say it's because they CAN'T reproduce it live either vocally or musically in a form they would be proud of. Would you really want a half assed, dumbed down, accoustic version in a lower octave, with parts left out, just so they could handle it? That would be a disappointment and you'd complain anyway. They don't want to degrade a beautiful song like that.

U2 are not being mean, or dicators, by not playing it. They obviously feel they can't so they don't. They don't owe you or anyone else your own special request. Like I said they turned down that girl on her birthday because they COULDN'T do it. All the pushing in the world isn't going to give them the ability to play it. You know if it were played you'd want to go 'oh wow that was awesome, they totally blew me away' not 'gee that sucked. They can't do it, no wonder they never play it live.' They have a very large catalog and a wide variety in their setlist. I'm sorry if anyone is not happy with it, they did their best.

Back
Top Bottom