Acoustic Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Techie2000

Refugee
For some reason I find acoustic versions of many U2 songs to be almost more emotional or better than the original. Walk On acoustic is really awsome. I also like the acoustic version of Desire better. Am I nuts?

No, I just prefer the originals. I know heaps of people who hate Yahweh, but really liked the live acoustic versions they played on tour.

I love the acoustic versions..
acoustic Stuck in a moment, Ground beneath her feet and Yahweh are just :drool:

Never heard the acoustic version of desire, but I'd like to!

Staring at the sun on the please EP is different, but as good as the original.

:up: acoustic songs. SATS, Elevation Stay, Please, Popmart SBS...I only disliked Ground beneath her feet and Yahweh acoustic.

sorry but for me the originals win everytime.
I always felt that the acoustic set in U2 concerts took away from the momentum, power and force of the evening, it was just a good excuse for many to go to the toilet.
The acoustic versions of Stay and staring at the sun in particular make me wanna switch off I'm afraid... Thank God their wasn't really an acoustic set on the vertigo tour, apart from yahweh...and that version was a little crap too.

when played right, acoustic STARING AT THE SUN was great. for example, the version on the "please" single is brilliant (rotterdam, i believe).

Stuck in a moment was amazing on this tour, on elevation i was wishing they would do it acoustically. it just sounds right.

theres a lot of misses though. i didnt like desire on popmart, thought it sucked. Ground beneath her feet was ok but imagine hearing it in electric form, that would have been :drool: :drool:

Songs like "walk on" and "wild horses" were pretty cool hearing in acoustic version this tour, but in the end, the regular versions are better for me

Yahweh was really great on this tour, although i didnt like its place in the setlist sometimes

ZooTv Acoustic Set :drool:
Popmart acoustic numbers :drool:
Elevation acoustic songs :drool: :drool:
Vertigo tour : First Time , Yahweh , Stuck :drool: :drool: :drool:

lady luck said:

Never heard the acoustic version of desire, but I'd like to!

You can find it on the Slane Castle DVD :up:

I loved Yahweh on this tour... absolutely... I think that song was made to be acoustic!
About Starring At The Sun, I like both.
Stay... I preffer a million times the album version! Just because it's one of my favourite songs and love all instruments on it!

I agree with RademR about The Ground Beneath Her Feet... It's ok acoustic, but that electrical guitar is just too good:drool:

I like the acoustic version of Stuck In A Moment, spacially Edge's part and Larry's entering.

RademR said:
Stuck in a moment was amazing on this tour, on elevation i was wishing they would do it acoustically. it just sounds right.

theres a lot of misses though. i didnt like desire on popmart, thought it sucked. Ground beneath her feet was ok but imagine hearing it in electric form, that would have been :drool: :drool:

i agree with all that :up:

in general i am a big fan of acoustic stuff, i like taking songs that weren't originally acoustic and working out a way to play them on the acoustic :drool:

.. SBS on Popmart was not acoustic, I don't understand why people keep saying it? And for me aswell the electric versions wins 90% of the time. Yahweh (alternative ver.)>>>> Yahweh acoustic. Stuck sounds better acoustic.

Nisse said:
.. SBS on Popmart was not acoustic, I don't understand why people keep saying it?

i always thought it was a edge solo ?

or was it just edge singing?

Yeah Thank Nisse for saying that , and now myself Desire in Elevation Slane DVD isnt acoustic , Edge is with a Les Paul , it's off effects , but still not acoustic.

Actually I think there was a couple of times it was done with an Ac. Guitar on Elevation , I think .....

I absolutely love acoustic versions of songs. The sign of a great song is when it can be stripped down to a guitar/piano and a singer and it still sounds great. You strip away all the other sounds, you have a naked voice and lots of emotion.

I love acoustic songs and I wish U2 would have kept the acoustic set for the Vertigo Tour. It was so awesome on theElevation Tour--the most emotional part of the night for me I know. To me, it makes the band seem more human for some reason. I wish U2 would do an entire unplugged show sometime...

Also, remember that when there is an electric guitar, it is NOT an acoustic song. Just because it's a quiet song like Popmart SBS or Elevation Desire doesn't mean it's acoustic--it just means it's quieter than the full band version. You need an acoustic guitar to make an acoustic version of a song.

Last edited:
ImOuttaControl said:
Also, remember that when there is an electric guitar, it is NOT an acoustic song. Just because it's a quiet song like Popmart SBS or Elevation Desire doesn't mean it's acoustic--it just means it's quieter than the full band version. You need an acoustic guitar to make an acoustic version of a song.

Doesn't an acoustic guitar have to be amplified for an entire arena or stadium to hear it? Isn't an amplified acoustic guitar electric?

namkcuR said:

Doesn't an acoustic guitar have to be amplified for an entire arena or stadium to hear it? Isn't an amplified acoustic guitar electric?

Yes it does have to be amplified, but that doesn't make it an electric guitar. Basically, strings vibrate and amplify the sound within the hollow body of the guitar. There is a pickup inside of the guitar which amplifies the sound into the speakers that the crowd hears.

You can use an acoustic guitar and add distortion (Edge, Vertigo Fly and Love and Peace or Else) which transforms the acoustic guitar into an electric guitar, but without effects there is no way to make an electric guitar sound like a natural hollowbody acoustic guitar.

P.S. I've had quite a bit of experience with guitars but I'm by no means an expert. If I'm wrong, then by all means correct me.

Last edited:
Staring at the Sun and Desire are both played acoustic on the Slane DVD. I prefer the originals of both. Never knew there was an acoustic version of TGBHF, have they ever played the original or that version live? Because the original is a 10/10 for me I love the song.

COBL_04 said:
Staring at the Sun and Desire are both played acoustic on the Slane DVD. I prefer the originals of both. Never knew there was an acoustic version of TGBHF, have they ever played the original or that version live? Because the original is a 10/10 for me I love the song.

Desire is not acoustic on the Slane DVD. Edge is playing a Les Paul electric guitar with a little distortion. This isn't directed at you COBL_04...a lot of people on these boards say the same thing you've said so don't take this personally. I just always wonder why people think just because a song isplayed softer than the original version, it's acoustic.

Staring at the Sun onthe other hand is an acoustic song. You'll notice the difference. There can be soft acoustic songs, hard acoustic songs (listen to Nirvana's MTV Unplugged or Pearl Jam's MTV Unplugged)...the key ingredient is using acoustic guitars , not electric guitars.

As for The Ground Beneath Her Feet, it was played in the early parts of the Elevation Tour. Here's the best acoustic version of the song IMO, from San Remo in 2000. They also played an awesome acoustic version of All I Want Is You, but I don't have it on my computer.

www.ysi.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=77BCB58F7EC0CB14

Last edited:
I think when U2 plays any of their songs acoustic during a live performance, it just adds to their talent on stage. Not many bands are able to perform electric songs into an acoustic version.

I love anything acoustic by U2, especially Desire, Staring at the Sun, Yahweh, and Stay.
this is kind of offtopic but related at the same time I guess, but did it bother anyone else that Bono would play an acoustic guitar during the Joshua Tree tour for With or Without You?? cause it bothered me a little.. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom