Acoustic Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ImOuttaControl said:

Desire is not acoustic on the Slane DVD. Edge is playing a Les Paul electric guitar with a little distortion. This isn't directed at you COBL_04...a lot of people on these boards say the same thing you've said so don't take this personally. I just always wonder why people think just because a song isplayed softer than the original version, it's acoustic.

Staring at the Sun onthe other hand is an acoustic song. You'll notice the difference. There can be soft acoustic songs, hard acoustic songs (listen to Nirvana's MTV Unplugged or Pearl Jam's MTV Unplugged)...the key ingredient is using acoustic guitars , not electric guitars.

As for The Ground Beneath Her Feet, it was played in the early parts of the Elevation Tour. Here's the best acoustic version of the song IMO, from San Remo in 2000. They also played an awesome acoustic version of All I Want Is You, but I don't have it on my computer.

www.ysi.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=77BCB58F7EC0CB14

I had the impression that "the acoustic version" of a song rather refers to the sound, not to the guitar. The acoustic version often means a version that is played without drums or electric bass or lots of keyboards, one or two instruments plus voice,... its true that on most acoustic versions you will find an acoustic guitar but what I connect to the word acoustic is not the type of the guitar but a "stripped-down" sound. I´d rather think an "unplugged" version means that all instruments are acoustic.

Back
Top Bottom