Achtung over The Joshua Tree?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooper2000

The Fly
I don't personally see how people can say that achtung baby is better than the Joshua Tree.

I mean, yea, every song on Achtung is listenable to, but its not revolutionary like the JT. I mean, look at The Streets/Still HFWILF/WOWY. They are absolutley incredible songs, and technically some of the best songs ever written IMO. Yea, you may be sick of them to some extent, but you gotta admit that that they are absolutley incredible beyond any shadow of a doubt.

Also on the JT you have Bullet TBS/Exit which are 2 incredible rock songs. Then you have RHMT, IGC and One Tree Hill which are superb songs in their own right.

Now, when you look at achtung, and don't get me wrong, its a wicked album, but compared to the brilliance of the JT IMO i don't think it can be compared. You have One, and The Fly which are very well written songs, and then a lot of good songs to go with.

You can listen to the whole album, and thoroughly enjoy it with songs like Zoo Station, UTEOTW, So Cruel and Acrobat.. but they just arn't innovative like the songs you get from earlier.

Anyways, like I said, this is all In My Opinion so comment, and tell me what you think, and where I went wrong or where I went right.

Thanks

Cooper2000 said:

You can listen to the whole album, and thoroughly enjoy it with songs like Zoo Station, UTEOTW, So Cruel and Acrobat.. but they just arn't innovative like the songs you get from earlier.

:huh:

aren't innovative??? Achtung was a lot more innovative than The Joshua Tree. Whether it was the amazing off beat industrial guitar and drum intro to Zoo Station, the unbelievable sounds The Edge made with his guitar in songs like UTEOTW, Fly and Acrobat or the traditional almost Joshua Tree type songs like One and Who's Gonna Ride, the album is the culmination of their talents! I love JT to death but Achtung will always be #1 for me.

I can easily see why people would like ab more than the jt. I personally like jt more, but the fly, mysterious ways, one, and uteotw is tough to beat on one album

Last edited:
Re: Re: Achtung over The Joshua Tree?

Zootlesque said:

I love JT to death but Achtung will always be #1 for me.

What Zooty :hmm: said

Joshua Tree is on a higher plane than just music. It is epic. You feel it from Streets right through to the final mournful notes of Mothers.

Achtung does not even come close to being epic.

I don't personally see how people can say that The Joshua Tree is better than Achtung Baby.

I mean, yea, every song on JT is listenable to, but its not revolutionary like Achtung. I mean, look at One/UTEOTW/Fly. They are absolutley incredible songs, and technically some of the best songs ever written IMO. Yea, you may be sick of them to some extent, but you gotta admit that that they are absolutley incredible beyond any shadow of a doubt.

Also on AB you have Even Better Than The Real Thing/Ultraviolet which are 2 incredible rock songs. Then you have Acrobat, So Cruel, and Wild Horses which are superb songs in their own right.

Now, when you look at JT, and don't get me wrong, its a wicked album, but compared to the brilliance of AB IMO i don't think it can be compared. You have Streets, and I Still Haven't Found... which are very well written songs, and then a lot of good songs to go with.

You can listen to the whole album, and thoroughly enjoy it with songs like WOWY, Running to Stand Still, Bullet and In God's Country.. but they just arn't innovative like the songs you get from earlier.

Anyways, like I said, this is all In My Opinion so comment, and tell me what you think, and where I went wrong or where I went right.

Thanks

:wink: Cooper2000 expressed EXACTLY how i feel...except switch the albums.

IMO JT innovative for the reason that it was unlike the music that we were hearing on the radio at the time. While Achtung was innovative as far as the U2 sound goes, it wasn't a new sound in general.

I agree with Axver and Cooper2000..... Streets is an epic song and i also regard WOWY (just personal preference) as being quite a great song...even though there are song like One, The Fly, and UTEOTW on AB i do not consider them being as great as either of them

Last edited:
ACHTUNG BABY is superior to any other record ever recorded.
its a monolith...every song on the album is on its right place.
AB is a journey through all imaginable situations/feelings a human life can offer...love-loss-addiction-hate-desire-loneliness-desperation-joy-sex-dreams-greed-drunkenness-fear-hope etc.

i love both albums a lot,
but i thikn JT as an album just FEELS better to me. both albums have really really good classic songs that standout....
songs on AB are impressive and cool, no doubt about htat, but i just dont get htat FEELING. yeah, it's vague, i'm sorry =)

Achtung wins points from me for consistancy. It's extremely hard for me to skip through it, because there are so many good/great ones I know I'll miss.

By contrast, while they're nice songs, it's hard for me to justify listening through Red Hill Mining Town/In God's Country/Trip Through Your Wires/Mothers of the Disappeared all the way through without wondering if prehaps Running or Exit is worth another listen to.

I do not understand why you people worship Achtung Baby so much. Yes, One is a good song, but IT IS NO THE GODDAM BEST THING EVER MADE! I don't know how people can say it is better than Streets, its nothing compared to Streets.

The Joshua Tree is the pinnacle of U2's career, both musically and comercially. Achtung Baby was just a new sound (and it was a good one at that) but it never reached the heights JT, except in the eyes of fans.

I agree with Axver. It is not an epic album. BUT, I will say it is pretty damn good. UTEOTW, Ultraviolet and Acrobat are fantastic, and the rest are all pretty damn good. But it does not measure up to Streets.

COBL_04 said:
I know I may seem hypocritical, but at least I don't go on and on and on and on about it.

I actually retract that statement. I don't go on about Streets, but I think sometimes I may go the tiniest bit overboard about COBL.

But the flip side is, how could you go overboard about COBL :huh:

Well in all fairness it's in your name so it's kind of expected of you. :wink:

COBL_04 said:

I actually retract that statement. I don't go on about Streets, but I think sometimes I may go the tiniest bit overboard about COBL.

I'm so sick of people going on and on about the nineties that I try to give some balance to the forum by going on and on myself about what I prefer. :wink:

COBL_04 said:
I do not understand why you people worship Achtung Baby so much. Yes, One is a good song, but IT IS NO THE GODDAM BEST THING EVER MADE! I don't know how people can say it is better than Streets, its nothing compared to Streets.

The Joshua Tree is the pinnacle of U2's career, both musically and comercially. Achtung Baby was just a new sound (and it was a good one at that) but it never reached the heights JT, except in the eyes of fans.

I agree with Axver. It is not an epic album. BUT, I will say it is pretty damn good. UTEOTW, Ultraviolet and Acrobat are fantastic, and the rest are all pretty damn good. But it does not measure up to Streets.

i would just like to say that city of blinding lights is the worst uninspired song u2 have ever written!!
you seem like a nice person and this is not a personal attack(i would never do that):hug:

My opinion is that AB is the best album ever. I like JT but I actually don't think it's as good an album as everyone thinks. I don't agree that those songs are in any way more innovative than those on AB. Streets is a great song but it does nothing for me in the way The Fly, End of the World, Love is Blindness hit home. Every song's a masterpiece on AB. I think they're all better than Streets, because they make the album what it is - better than JT.

Honestly, I'd marry AB if I could.

Sure Streets and WOWY are some of the greatest songs ever. But it's just two songs! The rest of the songs on The Joshua Tree are very good, but they cannot compete with the material on Achtung Baby where almost every song is superb.

It does not make sense to say that The Joshua Tree is better because Streets is the best song ever. An album consists of more than one song!

Last edited:
I agree Stefan. I'll get shot for saying this, but Streets isn't even in my top 10. I like it, don't get me wrong!

They are both masterpieces, but at different things, Achtung Baby(U2's third masterpiece IMO) but there first and only ROCK masterpiece, Jushua tree is not rock (IMO) and there first masterpiece was IMO The Unforgettable Fire was not rock. Sure The Joshua Tree has some rock songs but overall it isn't rock.

COBL_04 said:

It seems to be pretty easy for people to go overboard about COBL. It is an average song on an average U2 album.

I love both AB and JT, but I ever so slightly prefer AB. Oh, and COBL_04, didn't you just buy JT a week or two ago and AB a little earlier than that? You should wait a little longer before being so certain. I always think I know how good an album is right away but usually that opinion improves or lowers after a few months. Maybe that's just me.

City of Blinding Lights is a great song but it's not original. It repeats the epic formula of some other great songs. I like COBL but of course I prefer the originals like Streets, The Unforgettable Fire or Heartland.

Back
Top Bottom