Achtung Baby/Zooropa remasters CONFIRMED for Fall 2011 by Rolling Stone - Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pop wore it's Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, and Orbital influences much more on it's sleeve than previous albums' influences. Everyone saw that at the time.

This I agree with. Contrary to what many Pop loving U2 fans think, I never thought the album was very cutting edge or experimental at all. I mean, for U2 it was, but against the larger musical landscape it wasn't. And it was bit amateurish actually. They were trying to build castles in someone else's sandbox and it just wasn't that pretty compared to what others had done. U2 was trying to do stuff that other musicians in that genre had been doing for a decade. And U2's problem was they tried to do it at the end of that whole thing, in an environment where grunge was still the flavor of the month.

I give them props for their courage on POP...it certainly went against the grain and it was gutsy to try to reinvent themselves again, especially via a type of music that wasn't their thing. But the results were decidedly mixed, b/c U2 wasn't doing what they're best at (and in fact imitated artist who did it much better). Pop is musically interesting, but they just never really brought that one home. IMO, of course. And probably in the bands as well.

If U2 care about pleasing critics they are doing a really bad job!

Notice how all the folks U2 hangs out with praise them: Rolling Stone, Q, etc. Even politicos like New York Times pundit David Brooks extols the band musically and politically; the mainstream news media loves the band's conservative American nationalism clothed in convenient humanitarianism.

U2 did a bold thing in doing the Pitchfork interview and I did find Ryan Dombal's 4.2 rating a bit ridiculous, but, for the most part, U2 corrupts the system with their charm. The band didn't deserve to be on the BBC so much upon the last album's release; nor did it deserve to win all those Grammys for ATYCLB and especially HTDAAB. U2 actually thinks HTDAAB deserved all that praise and Bono is mad enough to think it's a better collection of songs than what was on Achtung Baby; I head that in amazement in a Rolling Stone interview.

By the way, I'm loving the arguments put forth by Nick66 and Hollow Island! We're soulmates!

Notice how all the folks U2 hangs out with praise them: Rolling Stone, Q, etc. Even politicos like New York Times pundit David Brooks extols the band musically and politically; the mainstream news media loves the band's conservative American nationalism clothed in convenient humanitarianism.

U2 did a bold thing in doing the Pitchfork interview and I did find Ryan Dombal's 4.2 rating a bit ridiculous, but, for the most part, U2 corrupts the system with their charm. The band didn't deserve to be on the BBC so much upon the last album's release; nor did it deserve to win all those Grammys for ATYCLB and especially HTDAAB. U2 actually thinks HTDAAB deserved all that praise and Bono is mad enough to think it's a better collection of songs than what was on Achtung Baby; I head that in amazement in a Rolling Stone interview.

By the way, I'm loving the arguments put forth by Nick66 and Hollow Island! We're soulmates!

Ouch. Hold on a sec there mate. You're brutal! I'm not quite as cynical about the boys as you are. I'm not criticizing U2 for what they're doing (nor am I condoning it), I'm just saying it is what it is. I still love their music, and I think that ATYCLB deserved every award it got. I love that album. In any event, no album that wins the grammy award "deserves" it. That award is a joke based on nothing but sales figures and we all know it. And I doubt Bono actually thinks Bomb is better than AB...as I said in another post, never trust anything Bono says about an album while he's trying to sell that album.

Your points about U2 embracing the mainstream are well taken, and generally accurate. I've never really thought they were ever that outside the mainstream to begin with. I guess my point is that criticizing U2 for wanting to be a hits oriented,well loved rock band is kind of like criticizing a leopard because of its spots. U2 are who they are. The closest they came to being "fuck the system" rock stars was during the early 90's, and even then they were mostly playing at it.

I will say that you nail something that most people really don't get about U2. I find the vast majority of U2 fans I come across think that Bono somehow shares their own leftist politics. On the contrary, I don't think Bono isn't much of a leftist at all, he's more of a pragmatist. And I suspect he's more of a conservative in many respects than people think. Certainly his instincts are conservative. The people he hangs out with at high levels by and large are not leftists, and I'd guess hippies and extremists annoy him. And he (craftily, I might add), generally sings the praises of the US, mainly because he wants to continue to have access to political leaders there. He's generally silent on issues like climate change, US foreign policy and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Again, this is not a criticism of Bono, he is who he is, and I don't really care about his politics one way or the other. He's a smart guy, knows his stuff, and his commitment to Africa is genuine and effective in its own way.

When did Bono say bomb was better than AB?

He never said that directly. What he said was that Bomb was the best album they ever did, so I guess you can draw that logical inference. Anyway, what else is he going to say?

Don't ask me for the quote on that one, I've done enough quotes today. I just remember him saying that (or a variation of it) in about every interview I read, heard or saw at the time.

Zooropa sold better than both Boy and October which have 2-CD deluxe editions, so Zooropa could get it's own as well, but I'm not sure how well these deluxe editions of the early albums have sold. Maybe Universal and U2 won't do the whole catalog as originally intended if the sales are not up to expectations.

That's the problem. The deluxe editions of the first three albums were released in 2008, and since that time the music industry has gone even further down the tubes. I think when the reissue campaign started U2 really thought it would be worth their while to release the entire catalogue as double-CDs. But with each month that passes, CDs sell less and less. So many artists (not just U2) are making their money selling CDs by packaging them in these extravagant box sets. But an extravagant box set of Zooropa just doesn't make financial sense, as much as people like you and me would love to see it.

So there are really two problems at work: 1) Zooropa (and Pop, and Passengers) are not "top tier" U2 albums sales-wise, and 2) it's getting harder by the day to actually sell physical CDs, even big hits. :(

I'd take that to mean the expected hyperbole from Bono trying to promote the new album, not a musician looking back over their catalog of work and making a definitive pronouncement.

He never said that directly. What he said was that Bomb was the best album they ever did, so I guess you can draw that logical inference. Anyway, what else is he going to say?

Don't ask me for the quote on that one, I've done enough quotes today. I just remember him saying that (or a variation of it) in about every interview I read, heard or saw at the time.

I know he said that, but doesn't he say that with EVERY new album they release? Doesn't every artist do this, for that matter?

Nick66 said:
He never said that directly. What he said was that Bomb was the best album they ever did, so I guess you can draw that logical inference.

Yeah I didn't think so. Of course at the time they say their current is their best. Muldy isn't the best at nuance.

Back to the AB Remaster question...I read a website called MusicTap, which details upcoming releases and they have a story on the AB re-issues. The webmaster calls them REMASTERS...so I mentioned to him that there's no evidence they are remastered...and this is what he said:

U2 To Reissue Achtung Baby In Uber Fashion

I've been reading his site for years, so he's connected and reliable...but he's guessing a bit with his answer on Zooropa...but I like his answer regarding remastering...:)

Back to the AB Remaster question...I read a website called MusicTap, which details upcoming releases and they have a story on the AB re-issues. The webmaster calls them REMASTERS...so I mentioned to him that there's no evidence they are remastered...and this is what he said:

U2 To Reissue Achtung Baby In Uber Fashion

I've been reading his site for years, so he's connected and reliable...but he's guessing a bit with his answer on Zooropa...but I like his answer regarding remastering...:)

Well, again, he's just a blogger, albeit a good one, but he really doesn't know more than you or I do. He's guessing. And if you do a Google search on new stories about this set, the vast majority don't use the word remaster (though admittedly they're just going on the press release). None of the folk at at @U2 even know what's going on with it. I agree with him on Zooropa, however. I think it will find its way to a single disc release eventually (but just a repackaging of the disc that's included w/this set...I doubt there will be any deluxe Zooropa anytime soon).

When U2 or someone directly associated with the band or their label uses the word remaster in connection with this release (and so far, no one has, even once) then I'll believe it.

Well, again, he's just a blogger, albeit a good one, but he really doesn't know more than you or I do. He's guessing. And if you do a Google search on new stories about this set, the vast majority don't use the word remaster (though admittedly they're just going on the press release). None of the folk at at @U2 even know what's going on with it.

When U2 or someone directly associated with the band or their label uses the word remaster in connection with this release (and so far, no one has, even once) then I'll believe it.

:tsk:

Kinda related, already posted this on another forum.
[U2] wouldn't be the first ones not to mention it. Last night, after their excellent concert in Amsterdam, I bought the (remastered) edition of Tomorrow The Green Grass by The Jayhawks. The sticker on the cover states:
2-CD LEGACY EDITION
INCLUDES 21 PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED TRACKS
DISC 1 includes the classic original album plus 5 rare or unreleased BONUS TRACKS
DISC 2 contains the PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED MYSTERY DEMOS, legendary private recordings by Jayhawks founders Mark Olson and Gary Louris
24-Page Booklet filled with rare photos and comprehensive liner notes
(note: emphasis on the sticker)

And here was the original press release for these issues: The Jayhawks' First Two Classic American Recordings Albums Expanded & Revisited -- NEW YORK Sept. 7 /PRNewswire/ --
Notice that there was not a word about any remastering, yet they are remastered (by Vic Anesini). So just the fact that the press release does not talk about any remastering does not immediately mean that it isn't remastered. Even if previously the press releases for the U2 reissues did mention the word 'remaster'.

[U2] wouldn't be the first ones not to mention it. Last night, after their excellent concert in Amsterdam, I bought the (remastered) edition of Tomorrow The Green Grass by The Jayhawks. The sticker on the cover states:

And here was the original press release for these issues: The Jayhawks' First Two Classic American Recordings Albums Expanded & Revisited -- NEW YORK Sept. 7 /PRNewswire/ --
Notice that there was not a word about any remastering, yet they are remastered (by Vic Anesini). So just the fact that the press release does not talk about any remastering does not immediately mean that it isn't remastered. Even if previously the press releases for the U2 reissues did mention the word 'remaster'.

I saw your Jayhawks post on that "other forum." Good call! Seriously, I don't think the major labels need to trumpet the "remastered" aspect of these deluxe sets any more. It's a foregone conclusion. The only reissues these days that AREN'T remastered are straight reissues on indie labels like Wounded Bird and maybe Cherry Red.

Well, I suppose. Except EVERY press release and marketing material for the other reissues mentions remaster in the first sentence. And then prominently thereafter. And, no offense to the Jayhawks, but Achtung Baby is one of the most critically and commercially successful and important albums of the past twenty years. If Edge was working on a remaster (and he supervised all the other remasters), you'd think we'd have heard something from U2 about it by now. And, since the remaster is a huge selling point (if not the biggest), you'd think they'd kind of mention it in the sales materials. Even just a single word. I mean, the remaster is pretty much the main thing.

Isn't it possible that U2 just decided they liked the way AB sounded and didn't need to remaster it? And if they did indeed remaster it, they're doing a pretty good job of keeping it a secret...and a terrible job of marketing it. Really, you guys are basing all this on your hopes and expectations rather than on the facts that are actually out there.

I think Zooropa could and should get a re-release. As said before there is plenty of remixes to fill a 2nd CD and really that will do. I'm sure there's got to be some alternate takes of the Zooropa songs and I know they've got Bono singing The Wanderer. What better opportunity to release Bono on The Wanderer than a Zooropa re-release?

Which lends more hope that the AB reissue is remastered...:D

Of course no self respecting artist would use the term. Just like they wouldn't use "alternative" or even "grunge" BUT you knew there was a difference between what people labeled as electronic and what they labeled electronica.

Pop wore it's Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, and Orbital influences much more on it's sleeve than previous albums' influences. Everyone saw that at the time.

There was no difference between electronic and electronica - the latter was just a buzzword applied to the few artists who had mainstream success. And yeah, Pop was more blatant in its influences, which is one of it's great failings. But they usually did wear their influences on their sleeve, didn't they? Some sounded more natural, though (ie. Joy Division). Still, I don't think Pop sounds as much like those bands as people said it did at the time. It sounds like a U2 greatest hits record but with songs from an alternate universe.

Hollow Island said:
It sounds like a U2 greatest hits record but with songs from an alternate universe.
This is probably the first time I've agreed with anything you've ever written :up:

Been saying this for years.

It sounds like a U2 greatest hits record but with songs from an alternate universe.

Brilliant description. :up:

And what a great record. Pop was my first U2 record back in a great year for music (OK Computer, Blur's self-titled record, etc) and it still sounds to me like one of their best. Of the records they've released since, only the good half of NLOTH (i.e. tracks 1-4, 9 and 11) comes anywhere near to its place in my imagination.

Upon looking at footage on youtube, I think the real reason U2 doesn't want to release full versions of the Washington, Detroit, Stockholm, etc Zoo TV concerts is that the band (in a nod to its leftist roots) made fun of George Bush for the first Gulf War in the intro -- which is much too controversial a stance for the corporate mainstream media/Obama "kiss up to the right especially when it is wrong" politics U2 fears offending nowadays.
Ouch. Hold on a sec there mate. You're brutal! I'm not quite as cynical about the boys as you are. I'm not criticizing U2 for what they're doing (nor am I condoning it), I'm just saying it is what it is. I still love their music, and I think that ATYCLB deserved every award it got. I love that album. In any event, no album that wins the grammy award "deserves" it. That award is a joke based on nothing but sales figures and we all know it. And I doubt Bono actually thinks Bomb is better than AB...as I said in another post, never trust anything Bono says about an album while he's trying to sell that album.

Your points about U2 embracing the mainstream are well taken, and generally accurate. I've never really thought they were ever that outside the mainstream to begin with. I guess my point is that criticizing U2 for wanting to be a hits oriented,well loved rock band is kind of like criticizing a leopard because of its spots. U2 are who they are. The closest they came to being "fuck the system" rock stars was during the early 90's, and even then they were mostly playing at it.

I will say that you nail something that most people really don't get about U2. I find the vast majority of U2 fans I come across think that Bono somehow shares their own leftist politics. On the contrary, I don't think Bono isn't much of a leftist at all, he's more of a pragmatist. And I suspect he's more of a conservative in many respects than people think. Certainly his instincts are conservative. The people he hangs out with at high levels by and large are not leftists, and I'd guess hippies and extremists annoy him. And he (craftily, I might add), generally sings the praises of the US, mainly because he wants to continue to have access to political leaders there. He's generally silent on issues like climate change, US foreign policy and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Again, this is not a criticism of Bono, he is who he is, and I don't really care about his politics one way or the other. He's a smart guy, knows his stuff, and his commitment to Africa is genuine and effective in its own way.
Maybe we're not soulmates, then...

I actually think U2 changed substantially over the mid- to late-'90s.

Bono was a different man. He did advocate for leftist politics. Bono was sickened by Reagan's attacks on the poor within America and upon Third Worlders abroad -- something Obama relishes in doing. He did mock George Bush over the first Gulf War -- which isn't a position moderates or even moderate liberals took.

Bono did speak about the moral failure of America to take care of its homeless at a Rattle and Hum Los Angeles premiere; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StNdvfn0ypE&t=2m55s this is not mainstream media stuff.

I think the mistake U2 made was ingratiating itself with scum like Bill Clinton, the pre-Obama Obama. And U2 cared a LOT about environmental issues, endorsing Green Peace and bringing attention to the dangers of nuclear power in 1992; I recall watching Larry congratulate Green Peace on some accomplishment when the band accepted some award in 1992 or 1993.

U2 has been corrupted by power and fame and Bono especially never resolved his insecurities enough to avoid the desire to remain relevant in the mainstream in his '40s; Unforgettable Fire, Rattle and Hum, Achtung Baby, and Zooropa are not the works of a band just trying to be popular; the band cares most about popularity now to the detriment of its art.

And Bono said HTDAAB is a better album than Achtung Baby (or that AB might be a better album as a whole but that HTDAAB had the better songs; either way, it's madness) in an audio interview with the founder of Rolling Stone Jann Wenner in 2006.

Bono did speak about the moral failure of America to take care of its homeless at a Rattle and Hum premiere; this is not mainstream media stuff.

I think the mistake U2 made was ingratiating itself with scum like Bill Clinton, the pre-Obama Obama.

I agree that U2 was at its best when they championed the homeless in America in the late 1980's and some other non-speakable issues. But it is really hard for a member of U2 to speak about about enviromental damage. Far lefties, such as David Byrne, do really have a point when they critique their globe trotting tours. There is no just no way around that one, and I think U2 have plenty of blood on their hands in that regard.

Environmental damage is not a political issue, it is non-reversal dead-end. U2 are trading profits for environmnetal damage. End of discussion.

I agree that U2 was at its best when they championed the homeless in America in the late 1980's and some other non-speakable issues. But it is really hard for a member of U2 to speak about about enviromental damage. Far lefties, such as David Byrne, do really have a point when they critique their globe trotting tours. There is no just no way around that one, and I think U2 have plenty of blood on their hands in that regard.

Environmental damage is not a political issue, it is non-reversal dead-end. U2 are trading profits for environmnetal damage. End of discussion.
I guess Radiohead has talked about that a lot. I felt U2 made up for the recent tour by buying carbon credits or something.

I do see a big difference, though, between simply touring and writing your art on the wars of Afghanistan/Iraq solely from the perspective of the Westerner and not the occupied victim, as U2 did on its recent album. Also, all this business with The Edge being a land developer and Bono sitting on the board of a company that makes a video game in which the player basically executes Hugo Chavez. Brian Eno is still an awesome leftie.

And what's with Bono constantly name-dropping celebrities after they're popular; it's one thing if the sang the praises of an actor, film or music group that was unheard of, but screaming "Cate Blanchette, this is for you!" on the live version of "Kite" kind of ruined that for me.

Bono was sickened by Reagan's attacks on the poor within America and upon Third Worlders abroad -- something Obama relishes in doing. He did mock George Bush over the first Gulf War -- which isn't a position moderates or even moderate liberals took.

Thanks to Reagan's ending of stagflation in the 80s and helping to end the Soviet Union, freeing millions from communism he did more for the poor than you will understand. :giggle: What sickens me is that Bono isn't bashing the the powers that be in North Korea for keeping people poor. Bono should right a song called "Mothers of the famished" for the millions who starved under communism.

Anyways please continue the "Bono is not socialist enough" bashing. :wave:

Upon looking at footage on youtube, I think the real reason U2 doesn't want to release full versions of the Washington, Detroit, Stockholm, etc Zoo TV concerts is that the band (in a nod to its leftist roots) made fun of George Bush for the first Gulf War in the intro -- which is much too controversial a stance for the corporate mainstream media/Obama "kiss up to the right especially when it is wrong" politics U2 fears offending nowadays.

They could have easily edited that one out. That was almost twenty years ago. Bono only did an about-face with the Bush family because of the African emergency. He is right when he says some issues are above political bickering. In that regard, he is a model for those 'career-lefties' around the world who hate 'the man'.

Thanks to Reagan's ending of stagflation in the 80s and helping to end the Soviet Union, freeing millions from communism he did more for the poor than you will understand.

I think the Soviet Union is much more complex than any Cold War analogies offer.

Why is it that some citiziens always refer to the 'economy' narriative. Isn't their other social models that we can learn from?

I just saw the price for the Uber Delux AB on Amazon and I will not be buying it at that price. No way!

The Uber Deluxe on Amazon is 700 dollars, I hope to God, that's not actually the price, cause I want this so bad!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom