Achtung Baby/Zooropa remasters CONFIRMED for Fall 2011 by Rolling Stone - Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't get special edition stuff like this at Wal-Mart, or at least at my local Wal-Mart.

I usually don't complain about things like this because I really like U2 box sets, but I'm starting to think that they really screwed this one up. If it was at a more reasonable price, I could probably let it go, but I'm feeling too dissatisfied to justify spending that much money. I was hoping that they'd make an AB box set like they did for JT with the album, bonus CD, and DVD with the documentary, music videos, and bonus material; toss in some art prints (if they must) and a little book and it's good to go for $54.99. And I think Zooropa should at least come in its own nice little box like Boy-Oct-War and UABRS did. But oh well.

I fully expect that Zooropa will get it's own 2 CD set which will include Bsides like Slow Dancing. Just as the Sydney DVD is something that seems pretty useless to include, I believe in time it will be the same with Zooropa being included in this box set. Now, they may decide to hold off on the Zooropa standalone until 2013 for it's 20th anniversary or perhaps it will come out in 2012. Every reissue to this point has also included a reissue of the album on vinyl and this time, there is no Zooropa vinyl being reissued. I firmly believe this is not an oversight by U2 and that in time, there will be a 2 disc Zooropa CD with reissiued vinyl LP.

I would like to give a warning to those ordering off amazon.ca... I've pre-ordered the Boy/October/War and UF sets from them previously and in both cases had to wait well past the release date to get them. In the case of UF it was 2 to 3 weeks after it was released until they finally got it in stock and shipped it out. I ordered JT and NLOTH from amazon.com and had them 3 days after they were released...

Also take into account, that unless you live in Canada, you may very well have to pay import tax to the Customs office of your country on your shipment with such an expensive item. Expect to have the full value of the item declared on the package by Amazon and that you in turn may be asked to pay the Customs office money before you can receive your package.

Every reissue to this point has also included a reissue of the album on vinyl and this time, there is no Zooropa vinyl being reissued. I firmly believe this is not an oversight by U2 and that in time, there will be a 2 disc Zooropa CD with reissiued vinyl LP.

100% Agreed. But I think they should do it this Christmas. Don't Wait. The song Zooropa was just heard be millions of people on the 360 tour as well as Stay. The albums also go together like peas and carrots.

100% Agreed. But I think they should do it this Christmas. Don't Wait. The song Zooropa was just heard be millions of people on the 360 tour as well as Stay. The albums also go together like peas and carrots.

I fully agree with you on that and am surprised that it's apparently not going to happen. After giving the Zooropa songs the biggest push they've ever got in North America, usually playing 2 songs per night, it seems real strange to just ignore that and bury the CD on 2 expensive deluxe editions that are going to sell to the big fans who already own Zooropa, instead of the new convert casual fans they may have gained who don't already own this album.

I think the Guggenheim documentary may also get a stand alone release early next year.

I fully expect that Zooropa will get it's own 2 CD set which will include Bsides like Slow Dancing. Just as the Sydney DVD is something that seems pretty useless to include, I believe in time it will be the same with Zooropa being included in this box set. Now, they may decide to hold off on the Zooropa standalone until 2013 for it's 20th anniversary or perhaps it will come out in 2012. Every reissue to this point has also included a reissue of the album on vinyl and this time, there is no Zooropa vinyl being reissued. I firmly believe this is not an oversight by U2 and that in time, there will be a 2 disc Zooropa CD with reissiued vinyl LP.

I would not count on a Zooropa reissue anytime soon, if at all. They wouldn't have included it on this set if they were planning on releasing it in this round of reissues. Based on their previous comments, I frankly think the band doesn't have any faith it will sell well.

Once again people are assuming that just because things were done one way with these reissues means it will be that way in the future.

A separate Zooropa reissue is about as likely as the phantom Achtung Baby remaster.

What I found particularly interesting about the crew's thoughts on Zooropa was that Paul McGuinness had the most positive thoughts of the record, even stating that it's "one of [his] favorites."

That really doesn't surprise me, since doing an album (the one that became Zooropa) to support the second part of the ZOOTV tour was McG's idea.

Comparing Sgt Pepper with Zooropa ? He WAS wrong.

You miss my point, and you miss Bono's point.

He thinks it's not good because it didn't have HITS. And I think he's an idiot for judging artistic success according to commercial success. Records and bands that U2 loved (Television, Joy Division, Pixies - Bono STILL goes on about the Pixies -, Magazine, ENO, Wire, the Velvets, Patti Smith, Ramones etc) had very little commercial success. Do they now think they weren't good, that the songs weren't strong enough, because Carpenters fans didn't dig them? He's fucking lost the ability to judge their own music. It's pathetic.

the tour has barely been over for a week and we already need new album news desperately to talk about.

He thinks it's not good because it didn't have HITS. And I think he's an idiot for judging artistic success according to commercial success. Records and bands that U2 loved (Television, Joy Division, Pixies - Bono STILL goes on about the Pixies -, Magazine, ENO, Wire, the Velvets, Patti Smith, Ramones etc) had very little commercial success. Do they now think they weren't good, that the songs weren't strong enough, because Carpenters fans didn't dig them? He's fucking lost the ability to judge their own music. It's pathetic.

Some good points here. You could even include the Beatles themselves, Revolver is seen by many as their greatest album and it didn't have any hit singles on it(apart from yellow poxy submarine!).

Remember when the first three album remasters were announced, and the live b-sides ("I Threw a Brick/A Day Without me" and "Fire") weren't in the track list for War? I seem to remember a lot of people (me included) going ballistic about that. I don't think an official track list with the live tracks emerged until a week or so before the album was released.

...All this to say, I'm holding out hope that when the finalized, official track lists for AB are announced, a few more Zooropa tracks will have made it into the mix. I would think there's still time to do that before November...

Yup. That's exactly why I presume Universal withdrew their tracklist. It stated that it wasn't finished yet. Maybe they put it up by accident, maybe they put it up to scout the fans' opinions on it so they can edit it. Who knows. But I do hope to dear god that the DVD gets changed!!!

If they release the Zoo TV-live from Sydney again, then it increases interest in bootlegs more. I thought U2 was anti-piracy. Now more fans will pay for a 'save' factory made bootleg from the ZooTVshows.....

I don't know how these people work... At least not for the fans.

This sort of thing does not happen.

As odd and unbelievable as it sounds, it does. There's definitely someone from their camp checking out forums and such. Far too many 'coincidences' have happened over the past couple of years. To the tour setlists suddenly favouring songs that people expressed their love for on here, to this boxset containing pretty much all rarities people wanted, to the fact that Willie sometimes mentioned things being discussed on here. I don't believe in coincidences to that extent.

And I think you missed Bono's point. He didn't mention "hits", for they actually had some on that album. He was talking about songs that resonate.

And I think you missed Bono's point. He didn't mention "hits", for they actually had some on that album. He was talking about songs that resonate.

No, Hollow Island nailed Bono's point exactly. Bono meant "hits" and in fact said "hits" in that quote explicitly:

"I thought of Zooropa at the time as a work of genius. I really thought our pop discipline was matching our experimentation and this was our Sgt. Pepper. I was a little wrong about that. The truth is our pop disciplines were letting us down. We didn't create hits. We didn't quite deliver the songs. And what would Sgt. Pepper be without the pop songs?"

If you want to use resonate, fine..because the songs didn't resonate, they didn't become "hits". Obviously a song doesn't become a hit unless it resonates with a lot of people to the point where they want to buy. There were certainly "singles" on Zooropa that charted to one degree or another, but no big hits. As least as far as the band saw it, and compared to the hits off AB.

Anyone who has read this bands comments over the years knows how important an albums commercial success...i.e., producing hits....is to them in judging its overall worthiness.

No, Hollow Island nailed Bono's point exactly. Bono meant "hits" and in fact said "hits" in that quote explicitly:

If you want to use resonate, fine..because they didn't resonate, they didn't become "hits". Obviously a song doesn't become a hit unless it resonates with a lot of people to the point where they want to buy.

There were certainly "singles" on Zooropa that charted to one degree or another, but no big hits. As least as far as the band saw it, and compared to the hits off AB.

Anyone who has read this bands comments over the years knows how important an albums commercial success...i.e., producing hits....is to them.

Fair enough... but he brings it back to "what would Sgt. Pepper be without the pop songs?", and to me I think that's the important part of the quote. I think the word "hits" has been turned into an expletive in here, and what U2 really mean when they talk about "hits" is that question. U2 has always been about their pop sensibilities, and those sensibilities that resonate with large audiences. AB even though it experimented with sounds, the structures were still very much pop formulas.

Fair enough... but he brings it back to "what would Sgt. Pepper be without the pop songs?", and to me I think that's the important part of the quote. I think the word "hits" has been turned into an expletive in here, and what U2 really mean when they talk about "hits" is that question. U2 has always been about their pop sensibilities, and those sensibilities that resonate with large audiences. AB even though it experimented with sounds, the structures were still very much pop formulas.

True enough. I think Bono's overall point is, and he's said this to one degree or another over the years, is that no matter how good the band might judge one of their songs (or albums) to be, if it doesn't get a lot of airplay, and sell as many copies as they think it should, it's in some way a failure, even artistically (see their comments on Zooropa, POP and even NLOTH, which they've already started to throw under the bus). That's because U2 isn't the Grateful Dead or Radiohead. They care if their songs get on the radio, and they want lots of people to be humming them. Look what he said about Pop in this regard:

Imagine if "Discotheque" was a No. 1 pop song? Now that record makes sense. We didn't have the discipline to screw the thing down, and turn it into a magic pop song. We didn't have the discipline to make "Mo Fo" into a loud concoction of rock 'n' roll, trance crossover. We learned from that album. We'd become progressive rock! Ahhh! It's on us!

It (POP) didn't communicate the way it was intended to...it was supposed to change the mood of that summer [1997]. An album changes the mood of a summer when you walk out of a pub and you have those songs in your head. And you hear them coming from a car, an open window. It changes the mood of the season. Instead it became a niche record.-Bono (2005)

I guess in a way it's unfortunate that their view their music through that prism. It's not really a criticism...it's just who they are and pretty much who've they've been for quite some time

Yeah - I am sure U2 management spends countless hours on here just waiting on every word as to what we feel about things.
facepalm.gif

I guess in a way it's unfortunate that their view their music through that prism. It's not really a criticism...it's just who they are and pretty much who've they've been for quite some time

You mean since forever?

But the truth is they're right, Radiohead isn't changing anything anymore. Who are the game changers?

Unfortunately the landscape changed after the 90's.

The landscape has changed, so he doesn't need to worry about a "#1 pop song" anymore. Unnecessary, especially for a band in their position.

The landscape has changed, so he doesn't need to worry about a "#1 pop song" anymore. Unnecessary, especially for a band in their position.

Easy for you to say as a fan.

But if you're someone who's career has been about reaching the most you can, and trying to change the atmosphere it probably seems like a step backwards.

Easy for you to say as a fan.

But if you're someone who's career has been about reaching the most you can, and trying to change the atmosphere it probably seems like a step backwards.

You're right. The thing is, U2 has never been about sorta jamming and making whatever music comes to them. They're not that kind of band. They want to fashion their art into accessible "hits" (for lack of a better term). That's what Bono's referring to when he talks about their "pop sensibilities".

Anyone who says they want to be the "biggest band in the world" and obsesses over whether they released the right first single for their album is not one uninterested in creating hits.

Having said that, maybe if they will start creating game changing music again when they stop trying so hard to.

This sort of thing does not happen.

it actually does, more than anyone knows.

i'm in the marketing field and this kind of strategy is becoming very popular. it's something that i've directly been a part of at the company i work for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom