Achtung Baby/Zooropa remasters CONFIRMED for Fall 2011 by Rolling Stone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't the Springsteen doc The Promise shown at the festival last year? And then shown on cable TV, and released with the Darkness on the Edge of Town remaster?

Maybe it was another festival, but I could have sworn it premiered at one.

Wasn't the Springsteen doc The Promise shown at the festival last year? And then shown on cable TV, and released with the Darkness on the Edge of Town remaster?

Maybe it was another festival, but I could have sworn it premiered at one.

Yes it was.

From Wikipedia re: "The Promise":

The documentary received its première on September 14, 2010 at the Toronto International Film Festival.

It's pretty damn good marketing for the remaster. You premiere it at a top festival. Then you do a super limited run. Then advertise the box set just in time for the Holidays.

They will have advertisements, with or without the documentary. It seems like an awful lot of trouble to go through for a remaster.

There has been no official confirmation of the box set's contents.

Who knows what other plans they have with this remaster. :shrug:

What more is there to say regarding the Deluxe Edition, especially if this doco is included.

a15663_Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

Ugh U2girl, do you possess any sense of logic at all? :crack: You've raised some incredibly fishy arguments in the past, but this? This really takes the cake.
A film festival to premiere your documentary on the making of your best album as promotion for the remaster of said album is a lot of trouble now? :scratch: what the eff?

What more is there to say regarding the Deluxe Edition, especially if this doco is included.

a15663_Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

:love:

Uhm. No. It's been said before that there was a documentary that was taped in Winnipeg was for the AB remaster. How is it farfetched to consider this documentary and the one just announced for a film festival one and the same?

It's an entirely differnt thing claiming that because it'll be at a film festival it won't be on the remaster.

"...It's been said before," but by whom? I think this was just based on chatter outside the studio in Winnipeg. Again, there's no concrete evidence that the doc will be included in the box set. Just like everyone else, I certainly hope it will be.

My concern, though, is that Davis Guggenheim is a major player, a marquee director who might want his film marketed separately, rather than as part of a high-priced box set. Isn't it possible that the Guggenheim film will be released around the same time as the box set, but as a standalone product? Again, I hope not, but I think it's possible.

This latest article from Rolling Stone mentions the box set, and mentions the Guggenheim film, but doesn't say that they're being released in the same package... U2 Documentary to Debut at Toronto Film Festival | Rolling Stone Music

Anyone want to have a guess at why they are calling the doc "From The Sky Down"? Maybe I'm having a moment here but I can't see how it relates to AB...

Been trying to get my head around that myself.
scratchchin.gif

Even going over the track listings and lyrics off of the album and can't get it.

Something to do with going about it the wrong way? Bet it is a band member quote. And obviously a lot of the story is going to be about the difficulties they had getting it together and reigning it all in. They've said before a large part of it was that they had all these great ideas and sounds and whatnot, but not songs. Or that they knew what they wanted the album to be, in terms of what it represented, just not how to get there. So approaching it the wrong way? Bet it's something like, saying they were trying to build it from the sky down, rather than ground up. Something like that?

"...It's been said before," but by whom? I think this was just based on chatter outside the studio in Winnipeg. Again, there's no concrete evidence that the doc will be included in the box set. Just like everyone else, I certainly hope it will be.

My concern, though, is that Davis Guggenheim is a major player, a marquee director who might want his film marketed separately, rather than as part of a high-priced box set. Isn't it possible that the Guggenheim film will be released around the same time as the box set, but as a standalone product? Again, I hope not, but I think it's possible.

This latest article from Rolling Stone mentions the box set, and mentions the Guggenheim film, but doesn't say that they're being released in the same package... U2 Documentary to Debut at Toronto Film Festival | Rolling Stone Music

Your basic assumption is wrong. It's been said by Bono himself and U2.com reported it.
U2 > News > Rehearsals in Winnipeg

Outside the theatre Bono told fans that they were here filming a documentary about Achtung Baby with Davis Guggenheim and he was pleased to see they'd brought the Irish weather to Winnipeg.

That proof enough for ya? A documentary about AB. Why else would they make a documentary about an album they're remastering?

What is a lot of trouble - the documentary itself?

Putting it out there on a premiere of a festival, and possibly a run at selected theaters.

Means more work, more PR, more red carpet interviews, more time consuming etc...why not just stick this documentary on the DVD (we didn't yet get the official content confirmed) instead ?

That sounds like they might have more plans with this movie than putting it on the DVD and be done with it. Note the latest Rolling Stone news that mentions the documentary and the remaster separately. :shrug:

Putting it out there on a premiere of a festival, and possibly a run at selected theaters.

Means more work, more PR, more red carpet interviews, more time consuming etc...why not just stick this documentary on the DVD (we didn't yet get the official content confirmed) instead ?

That sounds like they might have more plans with this movie than putting it on the DVD and be done with it. Note the latest Rolling Stone news that mentions the documentary and the remaster separately. :shrug:

The festival/limited theaters sells the DVD. It's not more PR, it is the PR.

Is there actually a release date for the remaster? I'm sure it will be part of the deluxe pack.

The festival/limited theaters sells the DVD. It's not more PR, it is the PR.

Is there actually a release date for the remaster? I'm sure it will be part of the deluxe pack.

Exactly! It'll generate more word of mouth talk and advertising about the remaster.

Not officially, but my bet is still November 11. :) that's the 20th anniversary, plus it's 11-11-11. What date could be more magical?

Your basic assumption is wrong. It's been said by Bono himself and U2.com reported it.
U2 > News > Rehearsals in Winnipeg

That proof enough for ya? A documentary about AB. Why else would they make a documentary about an album they're remastering?

Um, yes, no one is disputing that the documentary is about Achtung Baby. But that doesn't guarantee that the documentary will be in the box set. As I already said, it's quite possible that they'll release it separately. It's not a big deal, I guess, since most of us would buy BOTH the box set and the separate Guggenheim documentary if we had to.

Oh, and "it's been said by Bono himself" is hardly a defense. If Bono's pronouncements meant anything, we would have gotten Songs of Ascent last year... :)

Um, yes, no one is disputing that the documentary is about Achtung Baby. But that doesn't guarantee that the documentary will be in the box set. As I already said, it's quite possible that they'll release it separately. It's not a big deal, I guess, since most of us would buy BOTH the box set and the separate Guggenheim documentary if we had to.

Oh, and "it's been said by Bono himself" is hardly a defense. If Bono's pronouncements meant anything, we would have gotten Songs of Ascent last year... :)

Two years ago, actually.

Huh. Sounds like a remix based on the new live version. Interesting.

I don't really care the dual-layered vocals, though, with Bono's voice mirrored in octaves.

i hear what you mean about the mirrored vocals it's ok but might be better without..

I could do withOUT soooo
manyreal flys!!!

:yuck:

MY question is where/when did they film THAT!?

Did anyone hear about a special concert in
a theater? Maybe I just missed the hoopla
on that (ooops?) .

Unless all the theater/crowd stuff
was CGI- BUT that would seem to be
too expensive ( even for them) ?

Oh, wait....:der: maybe that IS part of the new film ?

:lol: I have EXTRA :yawn:sss today! :D

Why else would they suddenly now make a documentary on AB than because of the remaster? :huh: How is that not obvious to you?

Usually yes, if it's unofficially said to fans and stuff like that. But this is pretty much stated on their website. while u2.com has been incredibly questionable, dodgy and plain wrong in the past, it seems they got an arse kicking and now do have most of their facts right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom