Achtung Baby/ Zooropa remaster/ reissue - Part III/ three

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So Cruel, eh? Nice choice. I wonder if it will be Dave or Martin on vocals?:hmm: Seems more like a Martin type song to me, though I'm sure Dave would also kick it out of the park.

I only hope that this cover CD is not the Achtung Baby "baby" disc. That will be a HUGE disappointment if it is the case to me.

I only hope that this cover CD is not the Achtung Baby "baby" disc. That will be a HUGE disappointment if it is the case to me.

I can't imagine that would be the case. I know the tracklisting that was briefly up on the Universal (?) site likely wasn't final, but I can't imagine they had the entire concept of the CD wrong.

So Cruel would work really well. I think its time to to speculating on which artists are covering the tracks. Maybe they will include the Mary J Blige track on the set.

*prepares shotgun for self* :sad:

By the way, The UBER boxset on Universal's website has now completely disappeared. It was sold out earlier, now it's just gone.

Wow....I think I must be the only one who doesn't care at all about these covers. Sure, there's a "Wouldn't it be cool to hear X do X song" factor, but in the end, like most remixes, covers really aren't any more to me than a novelty...something I'd likely listen to once and never again. I don't think I've heard a single cover of a U2 song that's stayed with me.

I'm more psyched about the (so-called) "unreleased" tracks on this set, and hearing a remaster if that ends up happening. But even the best covers of U2 songs just don't do much for me...I guess I just prefer the real thing. :)

Besides, if U2 covers is your thing, while you're waiting you've already got plenty to choose from (looks to me like 10 of the AB songs have already been covered, though admittedly many by relative unknowns) .

I never actually said I cared. Because I usually despise Cover songs I don't expect much from these. :wink: And we all know what I think about a certain cover from a few years back of an AB song..

:madspit: Gabe!

I never actually said I cared. Because I usually despise Cover songs I don't expect much from these. :wink: And we all know what I think about a certain cover from a few years back of an AB song..

:madspit: Gabe!

Hmmmm....since I'm relatively new here, I don't know what that is?

But, if you'll give me ONE guess, I bet I could name it...:)

And we all know what I think about a certain cover from a few years back of an AB song..

3376459.jpg

:sad:

How could you GG? HOW COULD YOU?12/111!!!1

From Bono's Diary.

Dearest Diary,

Today is a banner day. All the U2'ers are in Santa Monica for the proper remastering of the album. Except we don't want to say it's remastered because really, all we're doing is turning the volume up on the CD players and telling the label that we're remastering it. That way we can just take the money they're giving us for this and laugh all the way to the Netherlands.

When I say "all the U2'ers are in Santa Monica" what I mean is, all the U2'ers except Adam, who's lost in space (remember that TV show, lost in space? That's where Adam is). And Edge, who is currently in the process of dividing his Malibu property into eight subdivisions and then leasing them off to his brother Dik, Morleigh, a random guy he met on the bus last week, and Bob Dylan, in the hopes of getting his agriculturally/organically/technologically advanced houses snuck by the devils at the Malibu Homeowners Association. If not, he's going to use the power of his guitar playing to set the place on fire and collect the insurance. That's what I call a real guitar hero.

Which leaves me and Larry here to actually work on the "remastering." Though Larry refuses to leave the hotel, or even be seen in sunlight. He claims that he's just following the lead of Robert Pattinson, who unbeknownst to anyone is actually 427 years old. Larry thinks he can outlast him. I think he's right.

Which leaves me, sitting here, with the volume turned up to 11 on all the monitors, rocking out to the greatest album U2 has ever made. Though since Edge isn't around to correct it, I think I might actually see if I can get my guitar louder in the mix this time. Now that's what I call a proper remaster.
I realize I'm a bit behind the times here, but this post is fantastic. :laugh:

the Johnny Cash cover is great

I detest it. Makes me want to kill myself, gouge my ears out, how could he dare change the phrasing diminish the meaning sing it in his silly country twang speed it up its not a fast song is that a fucking banjo in the background?!1! etc etc etc..

(not really, I'm kidding, but anyways)

Hmmmm....since I'm relatively new here, I don't know what that is?

But, if you'll give me ONE guess, I bet I could name it...:)

:wink: You're quite on the right track already.

:tsk: But Gvox is just a big sheep for that version. He loves it with every fiber of his being. Despicable.

(though admittedly is better than Mary J. Blige's atrocity).

I love how people call it "her atrocity" - she had little, if any, input into how the song went down, other than her own vocals, which the band clearly approved of.

It's still very much U2..with MJB providing some guest vocals. Bono still sings, Larry still plays the drums, Adam's bassline is the same, The Edge is still his glorious self.

I love how people call it "her atrocity" - she had little, if any, input into how the song went down, other than her own vocals

So clearly people don't like her vocals on the song. Is that hard to understand?

Is that hard to understand?

Actually, no. But the violently negative reaction from a very small subset of hardcore U2 fans doesn't seem rational stacked up against the fact that U2 themselves loved her vocals, millions who heard it on the radio loved it, and their rendition together literally brought the house down every time they did it on the Vertigo tour. It was great, it truly was.

I like Cash's version for what it is, but to say that his is somehow "better" than a version that stars U2 themselves playing their own song with guest vocals from another artist, that's just downright silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom