Achtung Baby vs. Ok Computer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I actually would like to "lay another log on the fire" here and ask again about why Radiohead gets showered in complements by the critics and U2 doesn´t as much, especially since U2 hit on many of the thematic things that Radiohead is so acclaimed for (OK Compter and it´s view on a fast-paced society consumed in technology).
Let´s take a look at U2´s feats in the 90´s (Oh god!! I mentioned 90´s U2-I don´t want to start a war in this thread if you know what I mean!)

1. 1991-Achtung Baby-This album feels like a portal to the future. A masterpiece!! Some songs thematically deal with technology, a fast paced society (EBTTRT, The Fly, Zoo Station, Acrobat).

2. Zoo TV-There had been nothing like this before and I don´t think we will ever see anything like this again. Bladerunner in concert. What was brilliant about this concept was that NOW, the way that the merge of technology and art was done is not all that shocking. But in 1992, we were a far different society that was just on the cusp of being swallowed by this monster of high-tech. U2 was able to foresee this and thus turn this into a brilliant artform. Especially "The Fly" with the flashing words on the screen in high speed. Actually, "Hail to the Thief" had a similar concept on its album cover.

3. Zooropa-U2 goes even deeper. Themes of the new Europe. "Numb"-like it or hate it, absolutely captures the feeling of drowning in the excesses of tech, media, overexposure, material items, etc...
Even though this album has its flaws, it completely captures a feeling. A feeling of a band that created this monster (Zoo TV) that was biting the hands of the monster(the media). Reinvention for the 2nd time of the decade and quite brave by doing so.

4. Passengers-Ok, it is not officially their album, maybe yes or no.
Regardless, this was again, the worlds biggest band competely changing their style for the 3rd time in a decade. There might not have been a 'Kid A' without this album.

5.Pop and Popmart-The most debated of them all. A 4th reinvention. Thematically, very similar to 'Ok Computer'. Themes like mass consumption, over saturation, loss of hope and faith in society. I believe that musically, this album is not as good as 'Ok Computer', but still a very strong album. Very honest, straightforward, raw and heavy. Also the tour artistically set new standards (maybe good and bad-depends on how much you like the flying lemon!!).

There is so much more to expand on with this subject, but maybe that could be another thread altogether.

Basically what I am trying to convey is that I think U2 did something so special in the 90´s and it just kills me that their artistic effect on popular culture is being overlooked by most critics IMO ( I do think most U2 fans do recognize this).
Not to say that Radiohead is undeserving. IMO, they are amazing and I think are pushing music into new directions.
But I just hope U2 gets their due one day!
Any thoughts on this?

I'm sorry but I think you are taking this too far. Yes Radiohead is somewhat influenced by U2, but they owe nothing to them in my opinion. I have never even heard Thom mention U2 as an influence. Regardless of this both bands are still making great music, and lets just leave it at that.

Edit.. "Passengers" in no way shape or form influenced radiohead while making Kid A/Amnesiac

xaviMF22 said:
I'm sorry but I think you are taking this too far. Yes Radiohead is somewhat influenced by U2, but they owe nothing to them in my opinion. I have never even heard Thom mention U2 as an influence. Regardless of this both bands are still making great music, and lets just leave it at that.

Edit.. "Passengers" in no way shape or form influenced radiohead while making Kid A/Amnesiac

How do you know this? Did you ask Radiohead?

Mogi said:
...There is so much more to expand on with this subject, but maybe that could be another thread altogether.

Basically what I am trying to convey is that I think U2 did something so special in the 90´s and it just kills me that their artistic effect on popular culture is being overlooked by most critics IMO ( I do think most U2 fans do recognize this).
Not to say that Radiohead is undeserving. IMO, they are amazing and I think are pushing music into new directions.
Any thoughts on this?

Great post, and thread..:drool: I like your overview of U2's 90's phase. It's likely, however, that they will never be the darlings of the critics like Radiohead. They're too plugged into the public's conscience. If they were more distant, they might get the same praise. However, critics are so far up their own arses, anything that becomes too popular is immediately taken down a few notches.

This said, Radiohead are deserving of the praise they receive. Beyond being brilliant, and the second-best band in the world, it's not their fault that they're cool.

xaviMF22 said:

"Yesterday I woke up sucking a Lemon" :shifty:

Mogi said:
Any thoughts on this?

Great post again, really is....:wink:

I personally think that the further we get from the 90's, the greater U2's influence will be recognised. Infact, it really is only the British press that tends to snub U2's influence in any real way....and even now they're starting to progressively let go of that snobbery....

I share your thoughts completely, but I wouldnt worry about it too much....more and more we'll see them get the credit they deserve. I especially look forward to proper DVD releases of ZOO TV and Popmart, that will really be a reminder to critics of just how brightly they shone in the 90's.....and continue to do so.

:wink:

LemonAid said:

Great post again, really is....:wink:

I personally think that the further we get from the 90's, the greater U2's influence will be recognised. Infact, it really is only the British press that tends to snub U2's influence in any real way....and even now they're starting to progressively let go of that snobbery....

I share your thoughts completely, but I wouldnt worry about it too much....more and more we'll see them get the credit they deserve. I especially look forward to proper DVD releases of ZOO TV and Popmart, that will really be a reminder to critics of just how brightly they shone in the 90's.....and continue to do so.

:wink:

I just don't see Elevation/Vertigo being as influential as ZooTV/Popmart.

xaviMF22 said:
----> dances to idioteque

....and yes, you can TOTALLY dance to Idioteque!!

...especially on the 'I Might Be Wrong' recording....that song thumps ass!

...and Myxamotosis is one nasty ass groove....:drool:

...same with the climax of Sit Down, Stand Up.......just evil stuff!!

...they really are a special band. :wink:

Ed O'brien said the first time he met Edge, all he could talk about was the UF album. He was starstruck and loves that record.

Thom isn't the only person in Radiohead.

Though I do recall a mid 90's NME interview where Thom said the Zooropa show he saw in Wembly was just about perfect, or something to that effect.

namkcuR said:

I just don't see Elevation/Vertigo being as influential as ZooTV/Popmart.

...unfortunately not. But they never could've been I think.....you just couldnt sustain that upward creative/cultural impact slope of Zoo TV and Popmart forever, could you?

...but perhaps you 'need' the change of Elevation/Vertigo to accentuate whatever their next morphosis will be? ...I dunno....but I truly hope so.

Surely they are more safe and regular than Zoo and Pop, something that disappointed me.......but Im also all too aware that the band would also be the first to know this too.....

..hopefully Bono's talk of trying to regain '..some of that otherness that we had in the 90's...' wasnt just more bullshit from him again.......I really hope not...

:|

LemonAid said:

....and yes, you can TOTALLY dance to Idioteque!!

...especially on the 'I Might Be Wrong' recording....that song thumps ass!

...and Myxamotosis is one nasty ass groove....:drool:

...same with the climax of Sit Down, Stand Up.......just evil stuff!!

...they really are a special band. :wink:

My Radiohead "dancing" is best described as mad, side-slapping contortioning with strange head bobbing movements. :hyper:

This thread has become really interesting all of a sudden. :laugh: Some very good posts here. :up:

I don't know if Radiohead were influenced by U2 or not... apart from the lemon reference which we probably shouldn't make a big deal out of. :wink: But U2 would've probably gotten as much respect as Radiohead had they not buckled and done a 90 degree turn into safer pop-rock! Hopefully the future holds something more interesting!

Zootlesque said:
apart from the lemon reference which we probably shouldn't make a big deal out of. :wink:

"Yesterday I woke up sucking a grapefruit" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Zootlesque said:
This thread has become really interesting all of a sudden. :laugh: Some very good posts here. :up:

I don't know if Radiohead were influenced by U2 or not... apart from the lemon reference which we probably shouldn't make a big deal out of. :wink: But U2 would've probably gotten as much respect as Radiohead had they not buckled and done a 90 degree turn into safer pop-rock! Hopefully the future holds something more interesting!

Actually, RH would have more respect, if they coupled their expirements with actual songs.

Ya know, songs?

Hopefully they begin to write songs again, and things will get interesting.

MrBrau1 said:

Actually, RH would have more respect, if they coupled their expirements with actual songs.

Ya know, songs?

Hopefully they begin to write songs again, and things will get interesting.

If you think Kid A isn't respected, you are wrong.

namkcuR said:

If you think Kid A isn't respected, you are wrong.

Zootles opened his mouth and (as usual) got negative with U2.

So, I'm calling him on it.

And yes Kid A is respected AND hated across the globe.

MrBrau1 said:

Are you kidding? Radiohead is respected wayyy more than U2 because they stayed true to their own creative instincts and are making the kind of music they want to make instead of bowing to the majority of the music buying public in America, that doesn't know shit anyway.. judging by the total crap on the charts like 50 Cent and what not! I'll stop right there because I don't want to create an argument and I know you won't agree with me anyway.

MrBrau1 said:

Zootles opened his mouth and (as usual) got negative with U2.

So, I'm calling him on it.

And yes Kid A is respected AND hated across the globe.

Yea but Zootlesque is right after Pop U2 was scared shitless, and did a complete change into more safer-rock. Radiohead have yet to turn their back to on everything post- OK Computer

After OKC, Radiohead had an opportunity that not that many bands get...it's the opportunity a band gets after they release a record that is phenomenally popular, praised by critics and fans alike. It's the opportunity to sieze the incredible attention and adoration they are recieving. It is the opportunity to become the biggest band in the world. And they turned it down to make Kid A.

U2's re-invention with AB was incredible, but they were already the biggest band in the world when they made it.

And...the usual arguement begins.

Do you guys really want to do this?

Cause we can. The thread will be closed because it's off topic.

But we can.

MrBrau1 said:
And...the usual arguement begins.

Do you guys really want to do this?

Cause we can. The thread will be closed because it's off topic.

But we can.

And we'd be able to thank you for it since the first antagonistic comments in this thread came from you.

namkcuR said:

And we'd be able to thank you for it since the first antagonistic comments in this thread came from you.

really?

Zootlesque said:
But U2 would've probably gotten as much respect as Radiohead had they not buckled and done a 90 degree turn into safer pop-rock! Hopefully the future holds something more interesting!

Quote me all you want! I never said anything antagonistic. I simply stated my opinion which pissed you off obviously. :shrug:

To antagonize is to contend with or oppose another. Zoot's comments weren't opposing anything, he was just stating an opinion.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom