Achtung baby SUCKS!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr_Macphisto

War Child
heh, sorry. I just thought I'd make a title that would piss everyone off so they would check this out.

But a flaw I noticed about AB that no one ever comments on when they talk about how it is simply perfect: What about the transition between One and Until the End Of the World?

One is arguably their best song EVER, and UTEOTW seems to just be a drag after listening to the beauty of One. Had they put it somewhere else on the CD I can see a better flow taking place. WGRYWH might sound a little better after One. They did a good thing on the greatest hits making Miss Sarievo (sp?) follow it, as they both have a similar feel.

Thoughts?

The title of your thread made my heart jump, the wrong way!!!
You shouldn´t scare a person like that:coocoo:
UTEOTW sounds perfect just the
way its placed, thank you very much!

Dr_Macphisto said:
heh, sorry. I just thought I'd make a title that would piss everyone off so they would check this out.

But a flaw I noticed about AB that no one ever comments on when they talk about how it is simply perfect: What about the transition between One and Until the End Of the World?

One is arguably their best song EVER, and UTEOTW seems to just be a drag after listening to the beauty of One. Had they put it somewhere else on the CD I can see a better flow taking place. WGRYWH might sound a little better after One. They did a good thing on the greatest hits making Miss Sarievo (sp?) follow it, as they both have a similar feel.

Thoughts?

You're title didn't piss me off....I love reading what people have to say good or bad :) I'm a very open minded person.

I really like the song One myself and it makes me cry when I hear it.

Oddly you mentioned AB 'cause the CD has been in my car for a few weeks now but I just played it this weekend after being sick of the radio and it still blows me away.

i think Until the End of the World is 20 times better than One, personally, so I dont mind the track placement

Wow, you're title is very creative... scared the hell out of me dude...
I don't like UTEOTW on the album, I only like it live :D
I made myself sick of One, cause I listened to it too much...
My fave on there is Mysterious Ways... :D and whatever the first song is called on it... forgot what it's called :huh: sorry.

Jeeze Mr Macphisto, you almost had me questioning your parentage. Got my attention.

The transitions between “One” and “Until The End of The World” on Achtung Baby is less a poor choice of album structure on U2’s part, and more indicative of the band’s emphasis on making great songs over great albums. Many songs by U2 to do not necessarily “follow” the tone of the album from which they originate. A few classic examples are “Two Hearts Beat As One” from War, “Pride” from The Unforgettable Fire, “Bullet The Blue Sky” from The Joshua Tree, the mentioned track, and “Stay (Far Away, So Close)” from Zooropa. The inclusion of "Your Blue Room" in The Passengers album could also be highlighted as an unlikely track selection from U2.

I tell you what about Until the End of The World, the live versions on Popmart Video, Slane Castle & Boston DVD's are miles better than the studio version, not saying that the studio version is rubbish but it pales when compared to the power of them live versions.

I love the transition from With or Without You to Bullet the Blue Sky. I don't know what other song could follow WOWY so successfully. It's like being poured over the head with ice cold water - you're in a thoughtful, possibly even sad mood after hearing WOWY and then Bullet starts and kick starts you up again.

As for the transition between One and UTEOTW I think it works in kind of the same way and Until The End... is my favourite song ever so I don't really mind.

Evalicious said:
The title of your thread made my heart jump, the wrong way!!!
You shouldn´t scare a person like that:coocoo:
UTEOTW sounds perfect just the
way its placed, thank you very much!
Couldn´t agree more.....!!!!

Until the End of the World is probably my favourite U2 song of all time, and Electrical Storm, One, Streets all follow that

Until the End of the World is my favorite off Achtung Baby!

Besides that, the way One ends with all of those emotions (the band jamming so well and Bono's vocals reaching for the sky), it is only fitting that the Judas song follow after it.

Achtung Baby IS perfection and I refuse to hear one negative thing said toward it!!! Just kidding, I think its cool how UTEOTW followed ONE, especially because if Wild Horses did so that would be two slower songs in a row. I liked it even better when the transition was done live on ZOOTV.

Nothing is perfection because perfection is subjective (if anybody reads FYM then you may know why I abhor this statement :wink: ).

Achtung Baby is a great one, very consistent - no massive flaws that undermine it in my mind, in fact one of the few ones where every song can stand on its own. The transitions seem just right to me, keeps the experience dynamic.

well...lets be honest...Throwing Your Arms Around the world leaves a lot wanting.

it's pretty uneventful, musically, and lyrically....well....

"I thought that I saw dali with a super market trolley"

What can I say, the song grew on me - like Grace but that issue allready has about a dozen other threads.

Last edited:
See, I really love "Trying to Throw Your Arms..." but there is not a note that I would change on Achtung Baby.

Speaking of One and track placement, it sounds perfect coming in after Electrical Storm on the Best Of. On my own mix cd's I generally have One as the last track. Kind of like, "there's nothing else to say after this..."

Togetherness -> Betrayal -> Recriminations -> Reaching Back to Togetherness but never finding it again = fun :hmm:

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
a song about togetherness followed by a song about the ultimate betrayal... i think it's brilliant.

I agree. I also love the live version of "Trying to Throw Your Arms..". It just suits perfectly the ironic atmosphere of ZooTV

Dr_Macphisto said:
Good point dlihcraw, I never even thought about the WOWY to Bullet the Blue Sky transition

That transition is so heinous that for most of 1987, I only listened to the first 3 songs from JT and then went to another album! :shocked: "Bullet" was SO disruptive, IMO, that it took me a while before I discovered the brilliance of "One Tree Hill" and "Exit". :huh:

The transition you mention isn't so bad though - at least to my ears. "One" ends on a very powerful note - about the same way that "Until the End of the World" begins. UtEofW keeps building to an even more powerful note. So for me, the transition from that song to "Wild Horses" is a bit more awkward.

Hell no! I love that transition! Achtung is the master of transitions. I mean So Cruel-The Fly?! Fantastic! But the best one is Ultra Violet-Acrobat-Love is Blindness. I can't imagine those songs being in any different rotation. It's like a rock-opera with three breathtaking acts!

I too was prepared (albeit not well in hungover state) to come to the defense of AB - tracklisting - let me pull up the itunes list....one to UTEOTW - nice actually but then again I have been listening to the album like that for around 13 years - WGRYWH - a bit jarring after that but then again WGRYWH was my favorite song in high school - I didn't really know it's about hummm.... (on second thought maybe I did know and that just makes me, well...):wink:

I see no problem with the Achtung Baby Tracklisting except 'Salomé' was RELEGATED TO B-SIDE STATUS! Although it did sound a lot like 'Zoo Station'...

Back
Top Bottom