Achtung Baby Side A vs Achtung Baby Side B

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
miss becky said:

Because TTTYAATW belongs in the story that Achtung Baby tells. It is the transition between the hedonistic, experimentation of Mysterious Ways, and the beaten, bitter character in the final three songs of the album.

And I'll go you one further, Axver. This answer is the same one for when you comment on the flow of the album, specifically EBTTRT-->One. Never forget that Achtung Baby tells a story, and the order of the songs is crucial. Remove one song, and the whole thing falls apart.

Your entire point is based on the premise you accept that Achtung Baby tells a story - which I've found to be a minority opinion everywhere but here. I accept you interpret it that way and find it an interesting interpretation, but I don't accept the actual interpretation myself.

My personal opinion of the tracklisting is that it throws you from one extreme to another chaotically, and as the album and tour illustrated the chaos and sensory overload of society, the tracklisting nicely serves its purpose. I can overlook the awful transition of EBTTRT --> One on those grounds. But it would be quite fine without TTTYAATW.

Last edited:
Axver said:

Your entire point is based on the premise you accept that Achtung Baby tells a story - which I've found to be a minority opinion everywhere but here. I accept you interpret it that way and find it an interesting interpretation, but I don't accept the actual interpretation myself.

My personal opinion of the tracklisting is that it throws you from one extreme to another chaotically, and as the album and tour illustrated the chaos and sensory overload of society, the tracklisting nicely serves its purpose. I can overlook the awful transition of EBTTRT --> One on those grounds. But it would be quite fine without TTTYAATW.

Yeah, I'd have to agree, take out "Trying", and it would be perfect for me, though if that song was gone, Achtung Baby would replace Joshua Tree as my 2nd fave album.

Apologies to those who like that song.

++

To the original question, side A.

Namkcur you have Achtung Baby on vinyl? and I thought I was old school for refusing to get an Ipod. ;)

Last edited:
Love the whole album, but would choose side b - for the fly and ultraviolet, the 2 best songs.

...and Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World is an awesome song IMO very deserving of its place on U2's greatest album.

Axver said:

Atmosphere? TTTYAATW is a poorly written - though sometimes humorous - plod through the Country of the B-Side. I still don't understand why it made AB, especially as MW --> Ultra Violet would've made for a better transition anyway.

Yes, I said atmosphere. Why the hostility?

Last edited:
thrillme said:

Yeah, I'd have to agree, take out "Trying", and it would be perfect for me, though if that song was gone, Achtung Baby would replace Joshua Tree as my 2nd fave album.

Apologies to those who like that song.

++

To the original question, side A.

Namkcur you have Achtung Baby on vinyl? and I thought I was old school for refusing to get an Ipod. ;)

I don't have it on vinyl. I just like comparing 'sides'.

I suppose, since I stared this thread, I should give an answer too.

It's pretty close, but in the end, Side B wins. Choosing it over Even Better Than The Real Thing, One, Until The End Of The World, and Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses is tough, but The Fly and MW are classics, Tryin' is an underrated GEM, and the final three are pure magic. I can't get enough of Love Is Blindness lately. An incredible, incredible song.

Shade said:

Yes, I said atmosphere. Why the hostility?

No hostility intended ...

Originally posted by namkcuR
Tryin' is an underrated GEM

I wonder who that comment could possibly be directed at ... :wink:

Axver said:

No hostility intended ...

I wonder who that comment could possibly be directed at ... :wink:

To anyone who dislikes the song. However, you're the forum's most vocal opponent of the song, so....:wink:

Side A has five of the album's best seven tracks............so it's no contest.

Are we all certain that a high number of bpm is synonymous with "fast"? Yeah, Larry packs a lot of drum beats into Acrobat, but I have doubt that drum beats are the only indicators of a "fast song", especially when part of U2's rhythm section is actually The Edge. If you put Acrobat next to WTSHNN, or Wire, or Indian Summer Sky, or In God's County, or the chorus of Exit, it does not, as a whole piece of music, seem to travel at a greater velocity. Its verses and choruses appear to travel at a slower rate than any of those songs I just listed.

good method...

zoo station < the fly
even better than the real thing < mysterious ways
one > tryin' to throw your arms around the world
until the end of the world > ultraviolet (light my way)
who's gonna ride your wild horses < acrobat
so cruel < love is blindness

just as i expected, side b gets the nod: 2-4

For me the best would be a mix, replacing Mysterious Ways to Even Better Than The Real Thing and Ultraviolet to So Cruel.
But I'd vote for Side B.

And as I wrote it down, I got so unsure...I think I :love: this album way toooo muccchhhh to decide!
Sweetheart, you're so cruel ...to put me in this embarassing situation...!:huh:

side A by the slimmest of margins......

Fly and mysterious ways are two of my favs on the album but one is their best on this album imo and second is uteotw......zoo station is also a great song which is probably the reason why i think side A is better

side A cos

the end of side B is so sad, i don't listen to it so often

but i always wanna hear ZOO STATION just a stop down the line

gonna make it on time

Zoo Station > The Fly
Even Better Than The Real Thing > Mysterious Ways
One > Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World
Until The End Of The World > Ultraviolet(Light My Way)
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses < Acrobat
So Cruel < Love Is Blindness

Though all in all I prefer Side B... strange.

Back
Top Bottom