Achtung Baby Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wertsie

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
It's by far my favorite U2 album, and yet I can't remember whether or not I've done an appreciation thread for it. Well, if I haven't, I'm fixing that right now...and if I have...so what? It deserves its praise!

I still remember when my mom first bought this album. She'd listen to it all the time. It was the first time I really saw her going crazy over music. Well, I grew up with both my parents playing music around the house almost constantly, but nothing seemed to affect my mom like AB.

When I "officially" became a fan with POP and the Popmart Tour, I began to rediscover (and sometimes even "discover," since my mom didn't have all their albums) U2's music. AB was the album that was particularly poignant for me. 1998 was a horrible year, especially when compared to the wonder that was 1997 (to this day, nothing has topped that year for me...although I've got many, many years to live yet!). It was such a let-down for me when Popmart ended. I would watch U2 concert videos (Zootv, R&H, Popmart) and just sob. Adding to that, one of my friends killed herself and a guy decided to break my heart into a million pieces.

There were times when I just wanted to shrivel up and die. Everything seemed to be falling apart. But, along with the support I had from family and friends, AB helped me through. I never realized its emotional depth until that time.

Every tune is a classic. I can't go to a concert and hear One live without crying. Zoo Station revs me up, motivates me, inspires me...So Cruel makes me realize that I'm not the only one who has been wronged by love. Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World is my rainy day song...Contemplative. They're all masterpieces in my mind.

Thank you U2! Thank you Achtung Baby!

Achtung Baby is my favorite U2 album!!! Possibly my favorite album ever!!! I couldn't survive without it! :up: :happy:

Can?t stay away from appreciations threads...of any U2 albums ;) :love:

First of all...wertsie girl, great post :up: You know, what amazes me is the way U2 has touched and still touches the lives of so many people, of any age, any culture, any background, like you and me.

When AB was released my first child was 3 years-old, my beautiful boy. Like your mom, I loved it, loved the album. For the first listening I felt they sounded really strange for exactly 2 tracks...then it came One and I knew they were back to my life the way they have always been, pretty close to my heart. AB is a worldwide well-known masterpiece, every single sound and words, every single song is perfect. So Cruel is my hidden gem, you have no idea how much this song means to me...as if U2 and Bono already knew what was about to happen in my life, almost 11 years before.

Okay, that was not exactly a rational analyses, but I just have to put up with the fact that I?m incapable to make a rational analyses about U2 music anyways ;)

Last edited:
:happy: Another thing...AB is also my favorite U2 album for "peeling back the layers," as I call it. I can listen to any one of the guys' parts throughout an entire song and not get bored.

Man, I wish I had been able to experience ZooTv! :sad:

UTEOTW is one of my all-time favorite live songs...Right up there with One, actually. :happy:

This is the only album I can listen to straight through without skipping any songs. I'm very picky and I do that with most albums, no matter how great they are, so for me this is a big compliment!

Why didn't AB win any Grammys? :sad:

I remember reading (in Flanagan's Bible, I think) that Axl Rose cried when the guys played "One" live. :cute: I will always love that guy for this reason. :happy:

What are your top three AB songs?

Mine alternate, although One is always number one! Right now I would have to say...

1. One
2. Until the End of the World
3. Ultraviolet (Light My Way)

:sad: Man, I feel bad leaving ANY out, you know?

I want my ZooTV!

I'm ready
I'm ready for the laughing gas
I'm ready
I'm ready for what's next
:scream:

Until the End of the World
ULTRAviolet (light MY WAY)
acroBAT

Back
Top Bottom