Absolute Worst Song Off HTDAAB: What is it for you and why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Love and Peace or Else is really cheesy. It might be the worst song they've ever done, but there's a few B-Sides that I can't really stand...

BigMacPhisto said:
Love and Peace or Else is really cheesy. It might be the worst song they've ever done, but there's a few B-Sides that I can't really stand...

You clearly have wax in your ears. Here's a cotton bud. Now relisten to what is arguably the best song on the album and tell me what you think. It's Zooropa rocked up and rocked out.

Is it possible to be in love with a record? I LOVE It! I broke down after I ordered it online. I had to do it. I LOVE it! I think Man and Woman and Love and Peace are my favorites!

Least favourite is Yahweh now. One Step Closer wasn't that bad actually.
Yahweh is just a bit repetive, and I don't like the chorus.

Last edited:
Best: MD, COBL, Sometimes, Crumbs, Oots, Yahweh

Very good: Vertigo, ABOY, Are You Gonna Wait Forever?

Probably good but I don't like: LAPOE, Man and Woman, OSC

Still waiting for Fast Cars.

BigMacPhisto said:

I feel the need to make further comment on this post, that's how much it baffles me. How in the world is LAPOE cheesy? Wild Honey is cheesy; LAPOE has that distorted, Zooropesque beginning and then it settles into a seriously powerful groove and completely rocks. Not to mention the fact it has majorly politically charged lyrics.

To label this song as 'cheesy' just ... defies belief.

I think I have to agree with Axver, Love and peace or Else is one of the most captivating songs on the album, or of the last three releases, including Pop and ATYCLB... It's like a slowed down 'Hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me', having good sex with Zooropa... it's great.

Cheers,
Nicholas.

Axver said:

I feel the need to make further comment on this post, that's how much it baffles me. How in the world is LAPOE cheesy? Wild Honey is cheesy; LAPOE has that distorted, Zooropesque beginning and then it settles into a seriously powerful groove and completely rocks. Not to mention the fact it has majorly politically charged lyrics.

To label this song as 'cheesy' just ... defies belief.

exactly.
you wanna know what LAPOE is? in bono's own words he's used in the past:
"a heavy mutha".
it's the kind of tune you play and the gods and heavens above listen.
"are you daughter of zion?
are you abraham's sons?
...lay down your guns..."
all of that....you don't catch rob thomas penciling those kinds of lyrics....
btw...you don't catch james hetfield writin 'em either.

starsgoblue said:

Hey you, get off my cloud!!

What I have to say about anyone actually poo-pooing this diamond of an album on the day my ears were blessed to hear it for the first time:

k7n6s

you just wanted an excuse to post that pic :laugh:

u2bonogirl. You HAVE to listen to it. C'mon. You know you want to :wink:

I don't like the word "worst" because it has a negative conotation and implies that there is in fact a BAD song on this album, which we know is not true, so let's use the term "least best" shall we? The least best for me is One Step Closer. Not too exciting, but it depends on your mood... it's very relaxing and I like it very much.

The "least best" song for me is Love and Peace or Else.:ohmy:

It's still a good song, but it seems like so much more could have been done to it. It has a lot of electronica effects and all, but it sounds pretty relaxed and doesn't have any real "bone crushing" moments. Maybe it will be one of those "tour" songs that really grow.

LAPOE was my fav through the first listen through. I still love it, but no longer my fav. definitely not cheesy for me. Cheesy goes hand in hand with celine dion et al, not U2.

I am glad that I didn't post in this thread the other day. I would of said One Step Closer. But then after hearing it a few times today, I would of had to come back here and pull a Phaser and say that it is a good track and lose all respect. :wink:

JOFO said:

whoever thinks LAPOE is crap doesn't know what u2 is all about; simple as that.

I think you guys are missing J's point here. He's not saying the songs he identified are crap. He's just saying there are 9 stronger songs than the two he identified - A Man and a Woman and LPOE.

I personally think the weakest song may be A Man and a Woman also. I like the song, but it doesn't have that extra oomph that U2 is known for. It's pretty plain.

Still, did you really expect another poster to have started this thread other than Jick?? :)

I actually love A Man And A Woman (reading this sentence again makes me feel a little weird, but what the hell :) )

The weakest song on the album for me is Crumbs, no doubt about it. Sounds to me like one of those songs that Bono lobbied during the entire recording to make the cut :)

A Man and A Woman is weak. It should have been heaped onto the C-side pile. It sounds like a cast off version of Luminous Times vs. the intro to Trash Trampoline & The Party Girl. I have tried to like it, but I feel like I am stuck on a 4:30 minute elevator ride every time I play it. To my ear, (personal opinion only) “one of these things is not like the others, and one of these things just doesn’t belong”.

I can acctually hear my father saying..."now THIS, I like".

That scares me....A LOT!

O.K. - let the critisism rain down on me.

A Man and a Woman is an ingenious song. I was thoroughly astounded by its brilliance after reading bad reviews about it.

:drool: :drool: :drool:

I've only listened to the album a few times straight through. So the second half of the cd is still growing on me. The first half is absolutely stellar, and I'm loving Original Of The Species, but the rest of the second half is still in the 'meh' category.

maro_chik said:
I'm loving Original Of The Species, but the rest of the second half is still in the 'meh' category.

"Origin of the Species" and "Yahweh" make up for a weak middle in "A Man and A Woman" and "Crumbs From Your Table". The energy of "Yahweh" is the perfect finish. Brilliant. It'll grow on you!

Crumbs From your Talbe is amazing!!! How dare you tore that song :rant:

Ok, anyway (SHono sorry if I offended you in some way )

Now, seriously. Look at this discussion. Some people say that the worst song is A, B or even LPOE. Others says that A, B or LPOE are their favourite song.

I think this is the proof we needed to tell that HTDAAB is one of their best album. Currently it's my second favourite. And if you thin it's all about the hype... I've listened this album far more times in just one day than the ATYCLB in four years.

I LOVE YOU U2!!! HOPE YOU COME TO PORTUGAL THIS TIME AROUND! I'm still mad that you cancelled the show in the last tour :angry:

'All because of you', I just don't like the chorus.

It really surprises me though, as I always like u2's more 'rock' songs.

All Because of You is my least favourite after the few listens so far, although One Step Closer has me puzzled...probably one that I will come to appreciate more in time.

From the first listen, I thought "One Step Closer" and "Yahweh" were weaker songs... however, after listening the record several times I think there are no bad songs on the record (like "Wild Honey" or "In a Little While" in ATYCLB or "Miami" in POP).

This is why I don't take the early reviews that much into consideration. It was reviews based on only one listening experience.

Oh... and COBL will be the final song for concerts during the next tour.

Yeah Stars, I know all about it. It's just not sitting as pretty with me as the rest of the songs. I think it's Bono's lyric and moreso the delivery of those words. I'd love to hear the band's reasoning behind the drums kicking in towards the end.

A Man and A Woman is the weakest song by far in my opinion. Every time I hear it it seriously sounds like something Sting would do...I just get kind of a cheesy 80'sish vibe from it. It's weird, it is a catchy song yet at the same time I think it's really cheesy.

Back
Top Bottom