ABOY: Album Mix vs. Single Mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2girl said:

Lillywhite produces the album version and gets trashed

Lillywhite produces and helps mix the single version and people go "wow"

Haha! Silliest thing I've read all day...

If people actually ENJOY the single version then of course they're going to be all 'Wow' :ohmy:
Be it whether they are thinking
'Whoa...that John Brough has helped this song no end! Lillywhite could do with having him around more often...'
or
'Wow...Lillywhite's done a GOOD job for the first time in a while...' :wink:

'Wow...Lillywhite's done a GOOD job for the first time in a while...'

I was hinting at that, it's the same guy yet the album version is hated, and the single version gets praised. It's not even that different of a single version as Please or Who's gonna ride your wild horses or Walk on.

You have a good point. As a guitar player I naturally listen out for what The Edge is doing mostly so this new mix pleased me in the way they put in the extra guitars (incl. some of the stuff from the original version) so that mix was rather cool and they turned down the lower backing vocals which I always felt were a bit pointless and thought they were there to hide Bono's higher vocals not reaching the notes at times!

each to their own I guess, but I guess I just preferred it :huh:

I think no one can say that Lillywhite is a bad mixer.

He worked mixing some of the greatest songs of u2: beautiful day, streets, with or without you, bullet the blue sky, walk on, the fly ...

Album version. It had a 60's vibe in the vocal and the muted verse chords. Even the break before the solo came back on an off beat, which was cool.

It's just been dumbed down for the single version. All the good shit is gone.

There's not really enough difference for me to pick one over the other. The song just doesn't do a whole lot for me. That said, I might pick the single version if for no other reason because the first note on the album version is to damn high and loud and is deafening.

Album Version is slightly better in my opinion...just too many different guitar sounds in the Single Version. That, and everything seems way too toned down compared to the album.

Back
Top Bottom