Abbey Road Week One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Headache in a Suitcase said:

:scratch:

on what grounds?

Because bono or the edge would of left there print on the album.:eyebrow:

Dont kill me , im just saying wot i think.

The only line I REALLY like is this one:

‘It felt that maybe this time we were not going to be pushing a rock up a hill as we do a lot of the time with new material.’

:drool:

vaz02 said:
the thought of Paul McCartney helping really annyos me for some reason , when the album is released would people give paul the credit and would paul fans claim it as there own ?

I fear more of a "This album's great only because Rick Rubin was involved" sentiment.

Interesting to see the piano and keyboards in the studio too.

How did our London members miss this :scratch:.

ntalwar said:
Interesting to see the piano and keyboards in the studio too.

How did our London members miss this :scratch:.

maybe because the piano and keyboards are stored there :huh:

like pepokiss said " new material " :drool: but do they mean new material or new genre :wink:

It sounds to me the song they're working on is All My Life, This is the only one of the beach clips that one could say has a "memmerising chorus"

DreamOutLoud13 said:

Let's hope U2.com continue with the updates.

Agreed. :yes: It would be cool if frequent updates like this were to take place, kind of the new equivalent of the ATYCLB studio webcam.

pepokiss said:
The only line I REALLY like is this one:

‘It felt that maybe this time we were not going to be pushing a rock up a hill as we do a lot of the time with new material.’

:drool:
Bono used almost the exact quote to describe how the recording of ATYCLB was going as well. To paraphrase, his quote was more like this if I remember: "With our other albums, it always felt like we were pushing it up the mountain, but with this one it feels like we're running after it down the other side. It's been the easiest album we've ever made."

I hope U2 are aware that these 2 milestones pieces of sublime art were recorded and produced at Abbey Road

28324f.jpg

dark.jpg

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Last edited:
I don't know why people think whatever this is is a year or more away. I guess it comes down to the amount of songs they are working on, but this all seems very advanced to me.

Michael Griffiths said:

Bono used almost the exact quote to describe how the recording of ATYCLB was going as well. To paraphrase, his quote was more like this if I remember: "With our other albums, it always felt like we were pushing it up the mountain, but with this one it feels like we're running after it down the other side. It's been the easiest album we've ever made."

An album as good as ATYCLB or better would put me over the moon! :hyper: :drool:

Earnie Shavers said:
I don't know why people think whatever this is is a year or more away. I guess it comes down to the amount of songs they are working on, but this all seems very advanced to me.

My thoughts, too. With 'U2 by U2,' the Sydney dvd, and the resumption of the tour all taking place within the next few months, we fans have plenty to keep busy with---it's not like the band needs some random story on u2.com to keep themselves fresh in our minds. And yet, we have this story. Makes me think that it's something actually worth reporting--that they're in more than just early developmental stages..:hmm:

Take note of this part:

Rubin met up with the band earlier in the summer down in France and word is that some of what was written and demoed then will be recorded properly in the coming days.

Take that plus the Michka Assayas quote that Rubin has them "holding" songs until they're perfect before recording-----and that seems to mean that there are at least a couple of songs entirely done.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

yea, i don't think i can ever recall a u2 songs featuring a piano and/or keyboard...

Ha- real smart.

I doubt they'll be recording a ton of songs in a short period, so it can at least help narrow down the song/type of song. Perhaps to one of the beach clips that contained the piano.

Earnie Shavers said:

Well, if you are familiar with the way U2 works or their patterns its pretty easy to come to this conclusion. U2 takes around a year in the studio at least and has for quite some time. This is obviously the very beginning stages of recording for the album. Then, you factor in that they are about go out on the road again, you are looking at another 2 month delay in the recording process. Also, going by U2's patterns, the album and tour would fit their template for 2008 with a 2009 tour (the 3.5 to 4 year in between studio albums/touring time frame they have followed for the last 15 years). Combine that with the fact that the tour ends in Dec 06 and it would be a mere 1.5 years off the road before they hit it again makes it seem less likely to me that it would even be 2007.

Can all of this change, can U2 break out of the pattern? Sure. Have they recently? No. Are they creatures of habit when it comes to this? Yes. So factoring all of that in there it makes it pretty easy to think that the album is at a minimum a year away if not more.

Also, what seems so advanced? We havent heard any of the recordings? Even if the beach clips are U2 completely, they sound like rough demos to me (from what you can get out of muffled crappy cell phone recordings). Which would fit what this article talked about anyway.

The thing to me, is the fact that Rubin is already physically working with them.

I had to think he told the band to have some songs and apparently U2 already has some songs, probably more than a handful.

Here's my guess:
So, the week in France, U2 played him their songs, leftovers, new stuff and they probably picked X number of them to work on now before the tour resumption with the hopes of getting half the album in the can. Then U2 is going to continue to write and record, thru the tour and afterwwards, then do the other half sometime in early/mid 2007, album by Christmas 2007 or a little before, I don't know it it would be done in the next 6 months but certainly I am just guessing.

This way they don't spend all that much time in the studio with Rubin, which may be the best thing for them. Try to capture the vibe, don't draw it out too long, go with it and let a somewhat raw album fly.

Blue Room said:

Care to wager on that? :wink: :laugh:

I know that if I want to really get something done I let others know that I'm working on it. It gives me a bit of a deadline. And I'd say that walking into the recording studio of the greatest band that has ever existed and putting out a story about it, is most likely lighting a helluva fire under their asses. It must be inspiring.

And you just know that McCartney is wandering in and saying things like, "You know Bono, Ringo coined the phrase 'a hard day's night' ...John and I wrote the song a few days later and we came in here and it was recorded in three hours. Are you gents up for that?"

Lancemc said:

An album as good as ATYCLB or better would put me over the moon! :hyper: :drool:
I would love to see U2 take what they learned from ATYCLB and write an entire album of say 12 songs with the consistency of the the first 7 from ATYCLB. Then it could compete with an album like Rubber Soul and achieve classic status. U2 have never made the perfect album, so they say, but 12 songs as good as those first 7 would be as close to perfect as they could get (besides Achtung Baby and The Joshua Tree of course ;) ).

LemonMacPhisto said:
whoa, now

u2.com better slow down, they might hurt themselves.

:lol:

So true! This is the kind of coverage they should have been doing long ago...reflecting the inner workings of the band. I like that stuff. It makes me all happy and warm. :drool:

Michael Griffiths said:

but this time, it was Larry who said it...

and NOW... not AFTER making the album...

:corn: :crazy:

Cool. Rubin's a good producer. I like alot of records he's been involved with. Those hoping for a drastic change in sound will be very disappointed. What a bonus.

Back
Top Bottom