Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here (AKA New Album Speculation)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say the illegitimate son of its mother, hmtmkmkm via daddy Dirty Day (outro).

I am sure there is a penis/outro joke in there somewhere.

Hold Me, Thrill Me is a killer. Boy Falls, IMO, can’t hold a candle to it.

Hold Me, Thrill Me, Stateless, and Ground Beneath Her Feet are off the top of my head the only U2 side-project (soundtracks, best of extras, misc-random) tracks I can think of that would also be highlights on an actual U2 album. There are several other really good ones, but they wouldn’t be stand outs on a full U2 album. Electrical Storm, I suppose, would have been a standout on Atomic Bomb. But that wouldn't have been much of a challenge. :wink:

But then those three also wouldn’t have a home on any existing U2 album. Hold Me, Thrill Me is way too snarky and heavy for Zooropa. Maybe it wasn't quite the same when it was in contention. Thematically its bang on for Pop, if perhaps a little bit too close to Gone in some ways, but if they’d held it over and reworked it, it would probably sound quite different, and its hard to imagine it being better for it when its so right as it is.

Stateless and Ground Beneath are like a glimpse at what an alternate post-Pop path might have sounded like, and perhaps a more natural progression, had either Pop had been more successful, or they'd taken a different view of its 'failure'. They certainly don’t fit ATYCLB, and are roughly what I would love U2 to sound like if they ever existed into an age where they were a bit more mega-success and mega-tour pressure free. If they do end up existing into an age where they accept that both of those things are beyond them for whatever reason (which, unfortunately, I don't think will ever happen.) It’s a comfortable and mature sound.

Are we getting ahead of ourselves a bit here?

it might be a bit premature to compare a song we've barely heard live (much less a studio version, which we haven't heard) to HMTMKMKM, which has been heard by pretty much everyone.

I think Boy Falls From the Sky would be a great single, possibly that elusive hit they've been chasing since BD and VD. Im hoping the Spiderman delay means they say "fuck it" and put BFFTS on whatever project they are releasing in May.*

*Drunken McGuinness

Wasn't there a rumor a while back of U2 doing a Spider-Man EP? That would be perfect, IMHO...it'd give them the chance to give us "real" versions of the songs that work well in that setting (BFFTS, Rise Above, etc.) without having to work out a U2 version of, say, "I'll Take Manhattan".
Nothing to see here. Just keeping this string of spoilered posts alive.

Hold Me, Thrill Me, Stateless, and Ground Beneath Her Feet are off the top of my head the only U2 side-project (soundtracks, best of extras, misc-random) tracks I can think of that would also be highlights on an actual U2 album. There are several other really good ones, but they wouldn’t be stand outs on a full U2 album. Electrical Storm, I suppose, would have been a standout on Atomic Bomb. But that wouldn't have been much of a challenge. :wink:

I agree with your opinion about those songs, and I'm not sure if you're including b-sides, but I also think North and South of the River (either the version from the Staring At The Sun single or the more stripped-down live take after the Omagh bombing) is better than probably 3/4 of what's actually on Pop (and I love the album). I also have high opinions of Holy Joe and I'm Not Your Baby, both of which I prefer to DYFL and SATS, though I know I'm in the minority there.

Also, I think Mercy (in its original form) is better than anything on ATYCLB or The Bomb; the only two songs that are close for me are Walk On and COBL.

Stateless and Ground Beneath are like a glimpse at what an alternate post-Pop path might have sounded like, and perhaps a more natural progression, had either Pop had been more successful, or they'd taken a different view of its 'failure'. .

This is a great observation that I've never thought about before. I remember getting the MDH soundtrack in early 2000 and being excited about the next U2 album based on those 2 songs. I thought for sure they weren't going to pander to the masses and continue doing whatever they wanted for the next album. However, Beautiful Day came out and was a hit, and ATYCLB revived U2's popularity, and the rest is history. It's strange to think about how they were at a crossroads during that 1999-2000 era, and now they are at the same point again, only from the other direction.

There's no way Boy Falls from the Sky will be as good as Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me. BFFTS could even be a good song, but HMTMKMKM is fucking killer.

I was gonna say it but there you go.

Boy Falls From the Sky has nothing on Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me.

It's not even close.

643-how-i-met-your-mother-intervention.jpg

Guys...

It's about all the spoiler tags...

In part 1 of this thread Earnie mentioned Adam/Larry only use U2 as their creative outlet:

I was told by someone that worked at one of the major movie studios that Larry has done a bunch soundtrack work without using his real name. Larry did some non-us work about 20 years ago and then not a peep since plus he's super-protective about his private, then there's the band anonymous charitable donations. Plus the whole Passangers concept.

I've been looking for a sountrack name or anything resembling a 2nd source.

This wouldn't be so bad if U2 would just say something... anything, even if it's not good news. Either they don't care or they're afraid to commit to ANYTHING.

This wouldn't be so bad if U2 would just say something... anything, even if it's not good news. Either they don't care or they're afraid to commit to ANYTHING.

But this always happens around this time. It’s always silent now.

We’re only missing the formal and casual hype they normaly release during the recording process. And even then, we’re not actually missing that much, and that we are missing it makes perfect sense, for several reasons that shouldn’t need to be spelled out again.

And normally in between the recording finishing, and formal title/release date type announcements, there’s always a decent patch of… complete silence. Think back to No Line. Everyone freaked out during this period too. They’d already delayed it once. We had maybe one or two formal "In the Studio with U2" articles, a lot of casual Bono-hype, and of course beach clips, as they were going along on their usual long, drawn out recording process, before the freak out and delay, plus the casual awareness of them being in the very public Dublin studio, and fan interaction there providing the odd quote. Then… silence… and they seemed to be doing anything but recording together. Everyone freaked out in a similar way. It’s not happening! They’re delaying again! They’ve freaked out again! U2 are OVER!

And then, after a month or two of near complete silence – bang – it all suddenly kicks off.

We can be 99% sure they’ve completed an album. It makes perfect sense that for several good reasons, they haven’t been publicising that along the way, and especially not hyping it to the hills. They’ve been cautious, coy and bullshit free about it. The only question is whether or not they are releasing it. And for a May release – anytime in May - they wouldn’t be making any noise about it right now anyway. We would be in that calm before the storm phase, which perhaps, if we’re lucky, might be broken by some cock up leak of information. But… the formal storm isn’t due yet.

I would think there’s still a bit of time before the balance definitely swings in favour of “not happening.”

CHILL.

We’re only missing the formal and casual hype they normaly release during the recording process. And even then, we’re not actually missing that much, and that we are missing it makes perfect sense, for several reasons that shouldn’t need to be spelled out again.

And normally in between the recording finishing, and formal title/release date type announcements, there’s always a decent patch of… complete silence. Think back to No Line. Everyone freaked out during this period too. They’d already delayed it once. We had maybe one or two formal "In the Studio with U2" articles, a lot of casual Bono-hype, and of course beach clips, as they were going along on their usual long, drawn out recording process, before the freak out and delay, plus the casual awareness of them being in the very public Dublin studio, and fan interaction there providing the odd quote. Then… silence… and they seemed to be doing anything but recording together. Everyone freaked out in a similar way. It’s not happening! They’re delaying again! They’ve freaked out again! U2 are OVER!

And then, after a month or two of near complete silence – bang – it all suddenly kicks off.

We can be 99% sure they’ve completed an album. It makes perfect sense that for several good reasons, they haven’t been publicising that along the way, and especially not hyping it to the hills. They’ve been cautious, coy and bullshit free about it. The only question is whether or not they are releasing it. And for a May release – anytime in May - they wouldn’t be making any noise about it right now anyway. We would be in that calm before the storm phase, which perhaps, if we’re lucky, might be broken by some cock up leak of information. But… the formal storm isn’t due yet.

I would think there’s still a bit of time before the balance definitely swings in favour of “not happening.”

CHILL.

:up:

look up at the links i posted Earnie! look! look!

i'm trying not to get all excited hehe

FNAC are super reputable (probably the biggest in Europe?) and putting it on the front page like that is exceedingly bold if it were just off rumour. Again, retailers - at a head office level - would definitely know whether this was happening or not.

On the flipside, doesn't stop some low level monkey doing something silly. And McGuinness did say in February that 'Songs of Ascent' as a title was "highly unlikely" which might suggest this is someone just regurgitating rumours/stories that have been floating for some time.

So, umm, CHILL!

yeah, i'm hoping it's not a low level monkey up to monkey business ha

CHILL.

Thank god for your posts Earnie. :up:
I think that by coming here everyday expecting to find out some piece of news, is logical that we freak out sometimes.
But more logical to me is that the band wants to end this leg of the tour before announcing the new album along with the North American tour, the new design for U2.com, etc.
Just my opinion.
Please keep it up Earnie, your posts are always refreshing. :up:

Fnac is the leader music retailer in Europe and they never mess with releases, this is definitively a really, really good sign.

I remember my friend, working for the leader radio station in Spain told me first single late in March or beginning of April, maybe he's right after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom