AAC files from i-tunes...do they work on other mp3 players?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr mc sarcasm

The Fly
Hi,

I was just looking at what I-tunes has to offer us...concerning the total U2 collection....and it's great!!!

BUT, all the songs are in AAC format....so what can I do with them??....can I put them on a other mp3 player besides the i-pod???
Can I share the cost with other people and then both get a copy??

please tell me

You cannot play them on another player until you convert them to something else other than AAC. AAC is a prioritized Apple format, that works only on Apple's iPods. It's a clever little scheme to sell more of its own products. Fairly ingenius.

To make them compatible with another mp3 player, you'd have to burn every song onto a CD (which makes them .wav format), and then burn all of those songs back onto your computer. Only then can you convert them to mp3.

However, I'm sure there is software floating around the internet that could more easily convert the aac files to mp3. The tricky thing is that the songs you'd buy off iTunes are not only aac formatted, but also copyright protected, so you've got THAT in your way too. But search around, you're likely to find something on the internet that will help you out. I'd reccomend going to www.ipodlounge.com, and looking at their FAQ section. You might find something there. If not, just google 'AAC to MP3.' :wink:

-Miggy D

You can share the cost between three people and all get a copy on your hard drive. These songs can be played in iTunes or any other media player that supports AAC files. They can only be put on a iPod mp3 player, though. You can also burn the songs an unlimited amount of times.

AAC is slightly higher quality than mp3, so get an AAC-capable player if you can.

Back
Top Bottom