A very difficult question...what track from AB would you leave behind?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Probably "One"...*ducks flyin' objects*

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

Even Better ...
or
So Cruel
or
Trying To Throw
or
Ultra Violet

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

[This message has been edited by Salome (edited 01-08-2002).]

You people are all insane. Certifiable. Not of sound mind. And just plain wrong too.
Achtung Baby is the only flawless U2 album.

MAP

Ever since Bono added a snippet and then a full verse and chorus of Who's Gonna Ride to the end of Bad at the 2 LA shows I saw, I've been reminded of what a cool song it is. I've always liked it (especially the bridge...and even more especially the bridge in the single version), and while it's not the heaviest song on the album, I couldn't do away with it.
smile.gif

If forced at gunpoint to choose, it'd have to be Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World - it's the song that has least impacted me over the years. But only at gunpoint. If it was a knife I'd have to give em a fight.
biggrin.gif

------------------
And I don't know why a man
Search for himself in his lover's eyes
No I don't know why a man
Sees the truth but needs the lies

Originally posted by ACROB@T:
icon29.gif

Acrobat is one of those songs, you know, not the biggest hits, not one of the most known songs, but it's a gem-some of U2's strongest songs are placed at the lower end of an album's tracklist. Acrobat is a great example of that.

What would i skip? Zoo station - i always felt it was slightly weaker than the rest of the album, to me it's more of an introduction to the album than a real song.

------------------

be uncool, yes be awkward

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 01-09-2002).]

I love Whose Gonna Ride... but I think I would leave it off if I had to choose one. The earlier versions of it on the SALOME BOOTLEG OUTTAKES are much better than the finished version. There is something too "easy" about the song. But I still love it.

How could anyone toss off a song with these lyrics:

"I dreamed that I saw Dali
With a supermarket trolley
He was trying to throw his arms around a girl.
She took an openned-topped Beetle
Through the eye of a needle.
She was trying to throw her arms around the world."

A wonderfully different lyrical style for Bono! It deserves to stay.

I like "Ultraviolet," but I think the rest of the album touches on some of the same themes it does, so it would be the least missed, I s'pose.

Then again, Edge's guitar is SO damn cool in that song...

I read through all the posts in this thread and kept thinking "nope, I can't cut that song, can't cut that song, can't cut that song." Damn you for asking this question. I don't have an answer so I'm going to go back in the corner, continue sobbing hysterically and shaking in fear and maybe I'll be able to make a decision.

Definetly Zoo Station... I dont dislike but it's probably one of my least favorites of their songs.

I cant possibly imagine AB without Ultraviolet, now this is possibly my favorite U2 song!

Hmmm...I don't feel that WGRYWH is a "weak" track. Lyrically, I think is brilliant. There are better versions of the song than the one on AB. I feel that utraviolet is "weaker" than wgrywh.
Anyway, I have never been a great lover of acrobat. Unfortunatly I feel that this song is so loved simply b/c it is so elusive. It's not that I dislike the song but I think that if it had been put on the set list regularly it wouldn't be so....desirable?
I do think it fits very well on AB though. If I had to leave one song off it would probably be Zoo Station or Ultraviolet.

two songs that I wish were left off....thus, I think as a ten song album, It would have been even better, even more of a classic in my book.

1. TTTYAATW -- too slow, musically weak.
2. Ultraviolet -- it's too Pride-like, weak, doesn't fit. Altho I like it as a stand alone B-side much better. Plus the vocals bug me for some reason.....Bono sounds like a Robert Smith wannabe.

I agree with people that AB is brilliant. But just because I feel it is one of the best albums of the 90's, it doesn't mean that I have to LOVE every song. As such, I would toss "Trying..." as I posted above. I hardly think this makes me "insane." But ya never know now, doya? Maybe I am insane!
icon32.gif

Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World and So Cruel I usually skip over, so either of those, but I can understand the significance both have to the story being told on the album.

I love this entire album. I couldn't pick one song to leave off because it wouldn't be the same AB that we all know(and some of love!). It's like asking "what limb would you like cut off from your body?" or something. The 12 songs just make the album whole.

------------------
I can learn to close my eyes
To anything but injustice
I can learn to get along
With all the things I don't know

--Resist

This is like asking somebody to cut off their own leg. Sorry, can't be done.

------------------
"I was in need of help
Heading to black out
'Til someone told me 'run on in honey
Before somebody blows your goddam' brains out'
You shop-lifted as a child
I had a model's smile
You carried all my hopes
Until something broke inside..."

So Cruel (despite some great songwriting)
Zoo Station (despite being one of the greatest album openers since Streets)

Back
Top Bottom