*A Vertigo Singles Review*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lancemc

Blue Crack Addict
Today as I returned from school, the first thing I noticed was that our entire kitchen was torn up. This was due, of course, to the new remodeling it is going through. The second thing I noticed was the short pile of cd jewelcases sitting on the bar. Walking closer I noticed that two were the skinny cd single sized cases and the third was of a normal album length thickness. what joy flowed though me then. Grabbing my short pile of happiness (the cd's that is) I ran into my room and locked the door. By now most of you are wondering what those cd's are (OK, I know you all know what they are, but let's play along).
The first one I looked at was the Vertigo CD 1 single. It has a beautiful red cover with the Edge playing his telecaster in all its glory. The punk rock inspired Vertigo title slattered across the front. The second one I picked up, Vertigo CD 2 was the same picture but in grey. The thickest of the cases was the Vertigo DVD single and included the same cover as CD 2 but with a red color splatter instead of a white one, Oh how I love variety!
Big whoppdity-do, the have different colors, what we really care about is what's inside isn't it. For now I'll just give you a list of everything in the discs and an (cough) expert's review (cough) of their contents.

Vertigo CD 1 =
1. Vertigo - By now we've all heard this, but for completeness' sake: Vertigo is the first single from U2's highly anticipated album How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. It rocks like no other U2 single before it, driven by Adam Clayton's booming bass and garage rock guitar riffing from the master himself. The lyrics might be slightly on the weak side, but it's jsut a rock song and it accomplishes what a great rock song should; it gets your feet tapping and your body moving. I give it 4/5.
2. Are you Gonna Wait Forever - The first original B-side from the Atomic Bomb era, this track is to HTDAAB as Holy Joe was to POP. It's a raw, unfinished rocker with rough vocals and loud guitars. Not too much unlike Vertigo, this admittedly weaker and unpolished track it quite an enjoyable listen and could prove to be one of U2's more enjoyable b-sides. 4/5 (on the b-side scale)

Vertigo CD 2 =
1. Vertigo - same old, same old.
2. Vertigo (Jacknife Lee remix 10") - Until the album drops this is the only version of Vertigo I am listening to (Yeah yeah, I'm one of those stubborn soles who refuses to listen to leaks). not that I feel this is an overall improvement over the original track, but I feel this is unique enough to allow the album version of Vertigo to seen fresh when the album is finally released. concerning the song itself, this is not one of those annoying 8-minute techno remixes. Retaining a general 4:13 minute song structure, it is similar to Vertigo in that respect. The Edge's garage rock guitar riff is fuzzed out, and put on a loop. Blasts of synth and other interesting effects dominate this remix, but don't at all take away from the original feel of the song. 3/5 (on the b-side scale)
3. Neon Lights - It's a cover. We all know U2 was never really too great when it came to cover songs, but this one really isn't that bad, really it isn't. Now, I'm not saying all U2 covers are bad, but let's not forget Paint it Black. That being said, this song is no Paint it Black, but it's also no Everlasting Love (arguably U2's finest cover). It's simple, pretty and thankfully not annoying in any way. Reminds one of Passengers, and sound like it could easily have fit on the Million Dollar Hotel Soundtrack. 3/5 (again, b-side scale)

Vertigo DVD
1. Vertigo HQ video - This is quite an enjoyable performance video with Larry's best Terminator impression throughout. Bon plays the camera to his best abilities and The Edge manhandles his tele. Adam is very, well, Adam (nice hair by the way). 3/5
2. Vertigo audio with picture gallery - From a title like that I shouldn't have expected anything too exciting, but somehow I was still letdown. The first few pictures were fun to look at, but around the second verse, the same set of pictures repeats. Now, U2, would have really been too hard to put enough pictures in here to last the entire duration of the song? Hmmm? Really?
1.5/5
3. Are you Gonna Wait forever audio only - Same as CD 1
4. Vertigo Lisbon Video (Jacknife Lee 10") - This is what I bought the DVD single for. I certainly wan't dissappointed with this video. I love the remix, and this provides some excellend imagery to complement the audio. Great shots in black and white, switches to color throughout. Looks like the boys are having fun in this for sure. It's also interesting to notice the shot of the boys in the empty swimming pool, the now imfamour photo shoot where the Edge's copy of HTDAAB was 'stolen'. Great video, I give it 4/5.

So there you have it. 3 discs, 2 new b-sides and a great remix. The couple of videos are also something not to be missed. Overall I would give the entire Vertigo single compilation 4/5 compared to other singles. While it doesn't rank among the best U2 have released (One, Please, the entire Joshua Tree singles) it is absolutely more rewarding than other single released such as (Walk On, Elevation, Last Night on Earth). If you have the extra money to spend I suggest you consider buying this "Vertigo trilogy", especially if you are still waiting for the offical album release.

Cheers,
Lance. :up:

...looks like i typed all this up for nothing. Do you think someone could put this in the content section or something, or if i have to re-write it i will.

Vertigo Single - Extra Songs ? ?

Hello Lance -

If you have a moment and wouldn't mind, I would greatly appreciate it if you could send me audio files of Neon Lights & Are you Gonna Wait Forever.
It would be great if I could add those tracks to what I've already obtained.

By chance do you have a copy of Fast Cars as well ?

I really appreciate your help.
Thanks so much.

Feel free to reach me at acneub@hotmail.com

Back
Top Bottom