A "Vertigo" clip on the radio!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homerpalooza

Acrobat
Holy crap, holy crap!

I was just sitting here with insomnia, with the radio quietly on in the background; I was listening to 92.1 WFNX, which is located out of Manchester, NH. And suddenly I snapped to, and I couldn't quite figure out why. Then I realized the song they were playing sounded incredibly familiar. Then I realized it was Bono singing. Then my heart exploded as I heard him sing, "Hello, hello!" They were playing a (rather short, but still) clip of "Vertigo"! Full quality, no Spanish guys or anything. Then an announcer came on and said, "WFNX, the place to hear new U2 music first," or somesuch comment. So the thing was basically a commercial for the new single!

They played "EBTtRT" right after.

I think this might have been one of the most exciting moments of my life.

Unfortunately, I don't think WFNX allows you to listen live via the web. But if you get it in your area, then listen often...

I can't wait for the 24th. If you thought the song sounded great muffled to all hell, you're going to faint when you hear it in all its full-quality glory.

Last edited:
Someone who knows how REALLY needs to get us a recording of that clip! :up:

God damn! at long last! a real clip, I hope someone somewhere was recording that damn thing in some capacity! how'd it sound, more info my man more info!!

Last edited:
This doesn't make any sense. How long was the clip?? Can u ring up the radio station and somehow attain this clip if you are telling the truth?? I would do anything to hear it!

This seems quite doubtful as how would someone in the US get a snippet from U2? I don't believe this guy, he gives me the vibe that hes on of those people who make up false reports to get a reaction. Unless he can post back with more details or better yet ring up the station to enquire about it, I'm writing this one off.

AussieU2fanman said:
This seems quite doubtful as how would someone in the US get a snippet from U2? I don't believe this guy, he gives me the vibe that hes on of those people who make up false reports to get a reaction. Unless he can post back with more details or better yet ring up the station to enquire about it, I'm writing this one off.

I'm sure the station was sent a short, promotional MP3 to advertise the single. So is this what I'm supposed to ask the station if I call them up? "How did you get this clip?" It seems pretty obvious they're not playing this off the stolen CD or anything.

And even if I did call, why would you believe what I report back? Why would you trust someone who apparently likes to make up false news for some sort of sad attention?

By all means, call them yourself though...or, uh, don't, as looking at your location I'd imagine that's quite a hefty bill to pay. Somebody do it, at least. (877) 369-7234. Ask them something along the lines of, "My friend told me you're playing an advertisement for the new U2 single. Is this true?"

I wish I had a way to prove it myself. I feel kind of stupid for posting this without a way to back it up, but I was just really, shakingly excited.

Last edited:
ok since shaun vox is reporting that BBC 1 will play it next week, it is probably true. So how long was the clip? Is it just a small promotional thing or was it longer than that?

I wonder if they'd play it again if you called and requested it. Maybe you could record it for us? I fully believe you, I'd just love to hear it, as I'm sure we all would :)

AussieU2fanman said:
So how long was the clip? Is it just a small promotional thing or was it longer than that?
Very small. The part I heard, after realizing just what was playing, was only about five seconds long (the "You're in vertigo, hello, hello!" or however it goes bit), but there was a bit more before.

g0rman said:
I wonder if they'd play it again if you called and requested it. Maybe you could record it for us? I fully believe you, I'd just love to hear it, as I'm sure we all would :)
Hah, call a radio station to request a commercial! I like it. I don't know if it'd work, though...

I'm recording unsavvy, unfortunately.

All I can suggest is for people to listen to the radio as much as possible this week. Especially if places like BBC1 are actually going to play the whole thing!

Surprises me Radio 1 are gonna play it a couple of weeks before they should, still that's all good with me man! If they play it next week it's bound to be on next Friday on Chris Moyles show as he's a huge U2 fan or Joe Wylie's show as she usually gets the scoop on U2.

Hey Mr Vox,

Can I ask where you heard about BBC radio 1 playing the song? Do you know when? My guess is that it will be on the Jo Whiley show.. can't wait.!

Lo-Fi said:
Surprises me Radio 1 are gonna play it a couple of weeks before they should, still that's all good with me man! If they play it next week it's bound to be on next Friday on Chris Moyles show as he's a huge U2 fan or Joe Wylie's show as she usually gets the scoop on U2.

God I hate Chris Moyles. I hope it's Jo Whiley :) I don't think I can bear having to listen to his entire show..

Jim said:

God I hate Chris Moyles. I hope it's Jo Whiley :) I don't think I can bear having to listen to his entire show..

Ha ha, it'd be worth it if you get to hear Vertigo!

ok i reckon the major radio stations have the full single by now and are playing small little teaser snippets. Can't wait till next week!! Sorry for doubting you Homerpalooza.

Someone had commented in another forum that a DJ had stated on air in the U.S (can't give you the details of the station I'm afraid) he'd heard it and it reminded him of Stories For Boys. I also think there's stations out there that already have it.

The radio station was 99x in Atlanta on the Steve show. He said the station was not allowed to play it over the air yet, I'm assuming legal issues. I got the impression that there is a copy of it at the station in some form (electronic or hard copy) and it won't be too long before we start hearing snippets.

I have a strong feeling (I'm using the force) that a station will play it over Labor Day weekend here in the US. Has anyone called that radio station?

U2dork said:
The radio station was 99x in Atlanta on the Steve show. He said the station was not allowed to play it over the air yet, I'm assuming legal issues. I got the impression that there is a copy of it at the station in some form (electronic or hard copy) and it won't be too long before we start hearing snippets.

Last week I emailed one of the DJs from the morning show and got a reply back that she hadn't heard it yet, but that they would be playing it early. Unfortunately no date was given...

If ANY of you can get a straight answer out of a radio station or a good clip, please contact me so that I can post about it on the main Interference site.

I'm emailing some DJs at a couple stations to see what I can find out... so far, nothing official.

I wrote Steve (the 99X DJ mentioned by U2Dork) asking if they knew the premiere date and he said: "not yet... but GOD! what a song!"

john1800 said:
I'm emailing some DJs at a couple stations to see what I can find out... so far, nothing official.

I wrote Steve (the 99X DJ mentioned by U2Dork) asking if they knew the premiere date and he said: "not yet... but GOD! what a song!"

Surely if a copy of this has been released (in whatever format) it will be working it's way onto the net within days? hours even?

God damn it! this is getting too much to bare! will someone please find a snipit of this thing!!

If the rumour about them putting Vertigo on itunes on the 27th of September is true, what's the chances of them bringing the play date on the radio forward? it would tie in with the rumours of it being played on Radio 1 next week.

innocent_eyes said:
Shouldn't there be a clip of VERTIGO on U2.com anytime now aswell?

That's what I thought as well, fingers crossed some time this weekend, it's only a few weeks 'til it gets fully played so they better get the finger out and get it on line!

Queue up Dr. Evil...
"Throw me a frickin' bone here!"

Come on guys (u2) throw us diehards a bone. leak something, i don't know- a clip on u2.com- anything. PLEASE? Lol!

Last edited:
elfyx said:
Queue up Dr. Evil...
"Throw me a frickin' bone here!"

Come on guys (u2) throw us diehards a bone. leak something, i don't know- a clip on u2.com- anything. PLEASE? Lol!

Amen, I feelin' that. It seems with every day that's passed in September we're getting just a little bit more info. Don't.....know.....if.....I.....can.......hold......on!

For all we know, the clip is buried somewhere on that site and someone just has to dig it up... Just like in 2000 when everyone was able to get the 30 second clips to all the songs just by changing the end of the URL to the name of the song! lol

Back
Top Bottom