A valid question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemonator

The Fly
With VH1 airing the 100 most shocking moments in rock n roll history, and John Lennon's death being #1, if something were to happen where Bono died, would his death be as greatly remember as Lennon's was? I don't want to depress people, but i am just asking people for there opinion. Please don't flame me.

I am hesitant to answer this post but...here goes.Bonos death would have a great impact,I think.He has done a lot for people not only with his music but his humanatarian work.Sometimes I do worry that something like that will happen to him because he does get a lot of death threats and there are wackos out there!I know hes not worried so I probably shouldn't either.

I was just thinking about this yesterday. Back during the tour I used to see a lot of people write that they feared for his life and felt he may be destined to die young and be left as some kind of icon or martyr. He would be a hero almost as big as John Lennon. I only put Lennon larger because I think he was more well known worldwide and had such an impact on society as well as music. Of course Bono is known for his music as well as his politcal work so I do think it would be a big thing. I also think hie death would guarantee his immmortality as one of the greatest rock stars ever to live, but I would rather see him live to a ripe old age and have that anyway.

Henry Rollins said last year that "if Bono's life ended tommorrow it would not be a minute too soon." :mad: I have even worried Rollins might try to hurt Bono. If Rollins died no one would care. But if it were Bono, there would be TV specials, commemorative magazines, books, and more. He is a special person and his legend grows all the time.

I worry a lot about Bono because he travels so much by plane and he always gives strangers rides in his car. Who knows when one of those fans might just be a wacko? John Lennon was killed by a fan waiting for an autograph. People wait for Bono for autographs all the time. Be careful, Bono. Stay safe tonight!

:mad:

Besides an arrogant prick, who is Henry Rollins?

I do think if Bono had an untimely death it would affect many people and go down in history. However, I do not think it would be as big as John Lennon since the Beatles are such an integral part of history and their impact on society. Of course, it does depend on the cause of death, when he died, etc.

I just trust that God will protect him since he has so much left that he wants to do on this earth before he goes. Plus, his kids are very young. It would be tragic for the fans, but nothing compared to the tragedy his family would experience.

Ok, this is depressing. I'm signing out!

U2Kitten said:

I worry a lot about Bono because he travels so much by plane and he always gives strangers rides in his car. Who knows when one of those fans might just be a wacko? John Lennon was killed by a fan waiting for an autograph. People wait for Bono for autographs all the time. Be careful, Bono. Stay safe tonight!

That concerns me a lot.

Something has been bugging me and I felt stupid posting it but this looks like a good place to bring this up. About a week ago I talked to a psychic fortune teller. I won't bring up my personal things and bor you, but I asked her about Bono and what she said upset me. She said he would suffer a brain hemorrage in his late 40's, and that scares me because that's what killed his mother that that age and it might be hereditary. She claimed she didn't know anything about his family history. She said he would survive it but be left with severe speech and visual impairments that would ruin his career as well as his life. :( She said that would make him a recluse who would drink himself to death before age 60. Now I know what you're thinking, psychics are fake, full of shit, etc. but I remember that one told his mother before he was born that she would have 2 sons and the second one would have a name beginning with P and be very famous so maybe there's something to it sometimes. It worries me because it's not out of the question because of what happened to his mother, and I think his mother's father had that too. I'm posting this so someone can tell me how ridiculous this is so I can stop letting it bother me. I can't bear to think of that happening to Bono:(

Savannah, I have a couple thoughts here.

First of all, Bono has publicly said he is a believer. I think we all know that. He hates religion, but has a firm belief in God and spirituality. He even just said it on the Oprah show and his lyrics often talk about God. Deducting from this, I do not think that he believes in psychics, nor would like people predicting his future.

While some psychics truly delve in the dark realm and are accurate, many of them are phony. She claims she knew nothing of Bono's family. Could she be lying? Bono is a celebrity, so she would probably assume to receive questions about celebrities, therefore perhaps researching their history and families. Any little amount of research on Bono would tell of the untimely death of his mother, and also show that Bono does like to party and enjoys his drinks.

As for the predictions about his mother, do we know this for a fact, or is this some story that has been twisted and gnarled over the generations? I find it hard to believe that a good catholic woman would experiment with the evil of psychics. Sometimes rumours get started and blown up (although I can't say for sure that this is the case, because I don't know).

Let's say she is legit and therefore dappling in the dark realm. Bono is doing a lot of good in this world. He has influenced many people spiritually as well as socially. He has done a ton of good for the world and for individuals. If she was delving in the dark realm, the evil wants evil, and not good (what Bono is). Wouldn't it be grand to predict a bland future for someone who is doing so much good? Could it perhaps curse him for a bad future? I believe words are powerful.

If words are powerful like I believe, words bring either blessings or curses. This negativity would be a "curse". Fortunately, Bono is a believer who prays and lives in the spiritual "God" realm, which I believe is stronger than the darker realm. Bono has many people praying for his protection and I believe God is using him mightily. Perhaps his future will have some hardships, but not because a psychic predicted it. Most psychics are out there to make a quick buck.

I would suggest praying for his protection as opposed to hearing negativity about his future! Anytime this so called prediction bothers you, counteract with a prayer, saying "God, I don't believe this is what you have for Bono. Protect him and bless him!"

I'm not trying to be preachy, but you asked for some input. Just my two cents.

I had my palm read about a year ago at a Renaissance festival I visited. I don't believe in fortune telling and psychics and all that crap, but I was passing by and stopped on impulse, just out of curiousity. The woman asked me EXTREMELY leading questions before she made any predictions. AND she charged me $20, even though there was no sign posted anywhere saying how much it cost to have your palm read. (I thought it was free, silly me). So I would put absolutely no stock in anything one of those fakers tell you.

About Bono's supposedly receiving death threats - that does scare the crap out of me. I honestly didn't know he'd ever received any until I read this thread. I suppose all celebrities get them, but Bono's involvement in political issues and how trusting he is with fans would seem to make him an even more likely target.

This thread is depressing me. (Says a quick prayer that Bono will live to see his children and grandchildren grow up and die peacefully in his sleep).

That program sucked...it put Kurt Cobain's suicide above Marvin Gaye's murder.

Thanks UltravioletU2, you gave me what I needed- faith and hope:) I will pray for him!

Thanks to Bono's shades too.

As much as I'd love a ride in Bono's car he should stop giving rides to so many people. I'm not famous and I'd never pick up strangers. Being rich and famous puts you more at risk.

God Bless Bono!

:heart:

Savannah said:
Bono's car

This is what may kill him if he's not more careful. The man drives like a maniac!

To answer the question; no, I don't think Bono's death will have the same impact as John Lennon's death. First of all, John was murdered by a fan. That alone was shocking enough. Second, the Beatles, whether anyone likes it or not, were the most influential rock band EVER. For their best songwriter to die that young was huge. Third, John's own death changed the way people looked at the deaths of rock stars. He was murdered, not dead from an overdose, like most rock stars before him. That he was the first big star to die that way absorbed the shock of anyone else having that happen to them.

I personally will be terribly upset when Bono dies. His music is important to me and my life, and I like him as a person, at least as much of him as I can know. Plus, his mortality remonds me of my own, since he's only a year older than me.

I think that it would depend on how Bono died...If he was murdered senselessly like John Lennon, it would definitely be as shocking and horrible...But if it was just a sudden death ie., plane crash, etc. It would be considered a tragic loss but not necessarily have the impact of Lennon's death.

Savannah said:

That concerns me a lot.

Something has been bugging me and I felt stupid posting it but this looks like a good place to bring this up. About a week ago I talked to a psychic fortune teller. I won't bring up my personal things and bor you, but I asked her about Bono and what she said upset me. She said he would suffer a brain hemorrage in his late 40's, and that scares me because that's what killed his mother that that age and it might be hereditary. She claimed she didn't know anything about his family history. She said he would survive it but be left with severe speech and visual impairments that would ruin his career as well as his life. :( She said that would make him a recluse who would drink himself to death before age 60. Now I know what you're thinking, psychics are fake, full of shit, etc. but I remember that one told his mother before he was born that she would have 2 sons and the second one would have a name beginning with P and be very famous so maybe there's something to it sometimes. It worries me because it's not out of the question because of what happened to his mother, and I think his mother's father had that too. I'm posting this so someone can tell me how ridiculous this is so I can stop letting it bother me. I can't bear to think of that happening to Bono:(

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Frick...why did I read your post...that fortune teller thing freaked me out.

UltravioletU2 did help calm me down a little with their reassurance, though, so...:).

Still, even though most fortune tellers are phoney as it is, I just hope that this lady's predictions turn out to be incredibly wrong and Bono continues to live a long, healthy, and happy life.

I do think he will be remembered when he does die, though, certainly. He's made quite a contribution to the world, I don't see why he wouldn't be remembered.

As for Henry Rollins' comment...what a jerk! And he hosts a show I like to watch, too ("Night Visions", it's on Sci-Fi. I like the show, but I don't like him, especially not now. If he doesn't care for U2, fine, but to make a comment like that about someone...ugh).

Why does he hate U2 so much, just out of curiosity?

Anywho...so yeah, I just hope that nothing horrible happens to Bono...I just hope that he will remain with us for a very long time.

Okay, I'm gonna stop now, 'cause if I continue this post any more I'm just gonna get more depressed at the mere thought of all this.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:
As for Henry Rollins' comment...what a jerk! And he hosts a show I like to watch, too ("Night Visions", it's on Sci-Fi. I like the show, but I don't like him, especially not now. If he doesn't care for U2, fine, but to make a comment like that about someone...ugh).

Why does he hate U2 so much, just out of curiosity?

My theory is he hates them because: A. He's a punk rocker and doesn't consider U2 - a band that has "punk roots" as Bono often says - hardcore enough for his approval (in other words, he's very narrow-minded when it comes to music); B. He thinks U2 have "sold out" because they have become superstars (in other words he is jealous and bitter that U2's career has swamped his - I don't think he can be doing too well with his music if he's hosting shows on the Sci-Fi Channel). :evil:

Savannah said:

I asked her about Bono and what she said upset me. She said he would suffer a brain hemorrage in his late 40's, and that scares me because that's what killed his mother that that age and it might be hereditary. She claimed she didn't know anything about his family history. She said he would survive it but be left with severe speech and visual impairments that would ruin his career as well as his life. :(

Oh no.....That is so sad and creepy because that has been a secret unspoken fear in the back of my mind. I wonder if he ever thinks of it or if he's ever been checked out. That just can't happen to him:sad: *Prays for Bono*

Bono's shades said:

My theory is he hates them because: A. He's a punk rocker and doesn't consider U2 - a band that has "punk roots" as Bono often says - hardcore enough for his approval (in other words, he's very narrow-minded when it comes to music); B. He thinks U2 have "sold out" because they have become superstars (in other words he is jealous and bitter that U2's career has swamped his - I don't think he can be doing too well with his music if he's hosting shows on the Sci-Fi Channel). :evil:

Haha, yeah, really.

That theory makes sense...all rooted in jealousy. :tsk: :tsk:.

U2Kitten, I know what you mean...nothing like that had better ever happen to Bono. I really, really hope that fortune teller is way off with that prediction.

Angela

Well this is a depressing thread....

Savannah...I really wouldn't put too much stock in what a fortune teller says. Most of the time they take little information and make it more than it is.

It all depends on how much info you gave this woman, or how much info she had on Bono and his life.

and that scares me because that's what killed his mother that that age and it might be hereditary. She claimed she didn't know anything about his family history.

Did you say this to her, that his mother had a stroke, when she mentioned him "having a stroke?" If you did...she fed off your fear. IF anything she is a scam artist....she is taking your worries and fears and using them against you, using them to scare you.

I think the story of his mother going to see the fortune teller has evolved into a folk tale.

As for Henry Rollins, he's just an idiot. Every once in a while Comedy Central shows his "comedy special," where he basically makes crude jokes about the women he's been with and how wonderful he thinks his penis is. I dunno what he has against U2... maybe it's the whole Joey Ramone liked Bono better or something :rolleyes:

Finally.....I think that when Bono dies, no matter how, it will be incredibly sad. I think he will be remembered for his music by the critics and the casual fan, but most of us here will remember him for all the things he did....Amnesty International, Greenpeace, Sellafield, Jubilee, Drop the Debt, DATA.....
Yes, I worry about how he is sometimes too cozy with his fans, inviting them into the studio, giving them rides. This is a double edged sword...yes it is an experience for a well intentioned fan to get this kind of treatment. But what if he gives the wrong person a ride home. However, those are the choices that he makes, and he trusts his own instincts, so I guess we just have to pray that nothing tragic will happen.

To answer the question; no, I don't think Bono's death will have the same impact as John Lennon's death. First of all, John was murdered by a fan. That alone was shocking enough. Second, the Beatles, whether anyone likes it or not, were the most influential rock band EVER. For their best songwriter to die that young was huge. Third, John's own death changed the way people looked at the deaths of rock stars. He was murdered, not dead from an overdose, like most rock stars before him. That he was the first big star to die that way absorbed the shock of anyone else having that happen to them.

I agree with this, but would also add one more dynamic. Both Lennon and Bono are known, to some degree, for their spirituality. Neither Lennon nor Bono tried to turn themselves into idols - turning fans into followers.

Bono, directly or indirectly, points fans to God. Lennon, however, did not point fans in a specific direction. Lennon had a more amorphus, spiritual guiding. As a result, I believe more fans idolize Lennon since he was identified with his spiritualness (if that is a word).

Bono, I believe, would be horrified if fans were to idolize him.

1 Cor. 3:4-9

u2sangel said:
.Sometimes I do worry that something like that will happen to him because he does get a lot of death threats and there are wackos out there!I know hes not worried so I probably shouldn't either.

what death threats are you talking about???????
how do u know about these?

u2sangel said:
I saw a show on Vh-1 a few years back and it was talking about the death threats Bono has received and I have read a few articles that said he has received some.Almost every celebrity does!I don't like it at all(espeically for Bono)but it happens!

I can't believe people send death threats to anyone, famous or not. People who send death threats need to get a life.

And especially when it's someone as nice as Bono that gets them...it's like, geez, what'd they ever do to you, you know?

Angela

When Bono was on the Charlie Rose Show last year, he talked about death threats while they were in South America. He was also quoted about a threat called into the police during the Joshua Tour, I believe they were in CA.

I'd also like to refute UltravioletU2's comment on psychic delving into dark areas. Most pyschics (at least those that have proven ability) believe their abilities come from God and are strong believers. Also Bono's mom was the Protestant. The quote is from Bono's Dad.

edited because I forgot that last point

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom