A Sort of Homecoming next tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Really, really do wish it: ASOH is one of my all-time favourite U2 songs. It has it all: Great melody, great diversity by the different instruments – and lyrics, that do create landscapes in your head, while listening. Bono wrote it, in my opionion, from a very youthful perspective, that cynists might call kind of naive, too. But I don't feel it that way at all: It is a rather positive, uplifting song, a piece of grand poetry – that would be a live gem of the tour, for sure. And: The album TUF has been way underplayed for the last two decades (!). It is time for times to be changing' ...

I hope they do not play it, because if they did, and I was there, there's an 85-95% chance that I die in a bliss explosion.

Bliss Explosion could be a cool band name.

Anyway, threads like this are counterproductive for my head. No one song played Live, by any band, would make me happier than ASOH.

No spoken words said:
I hope they do not play it, because if they did, and I was there, there's an 85-95% chance that I die in a bliss explosion.

Bliss Explosion could be a cool band name.

Anyway, threads like this are counterproductive for my head. No one song played Live, by any band, would make me happier than ASOH.

wow, who knew a New York fan and a Boston fan could have the same feelings. Maybe there is hope for humanity. :wink:

randhail said:

wow, who knew a New York fan and a Boston fan could have the same feelings. Maybe there is hope for humanity. :wink:

Phanan and I both love Rush/Bruce. Go figure.

My interference name and signature sort of give away my love of ASOH. What a fucking song. The only bad thing about the song is that it supposedly inspired Chris Martin. :)

Remember, 1/2 of my family hails from New England, so, I've learned to love these people despite their professional sports affiliations.

I think that there will always be 3-4 songs they play that are not for casual fans.....Electric Co, An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart and Zoo Station were the 3 that got the most play this past tour that fall into that category, unless I'm forgetting something....so, it's anyone's guess which 3-4 will be for the next tour.

I guess it's fun to dream/speculate, though. I NEVER thought I'd hear An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart, but I'd always wanted to, all the way back to 1982 or 1983, when I went back and bought Boy/loaded up on bootlegs bought down in the Village.

Few things in life will make me feel how I felt in San Diego when I heard them start to play it.

ASOH would top it, though.

I'd really like this song to played, actually it is my 2nd favorite U2 song, but I fear that Bono forgets lyrics again... (and this is a shame because the lyrics are awesome). More UF live please :drool:

Last edited:
when U2 resurrects songs Bono is going to sing it the way he wants to sing it...they will rehearse the songs many times, and nail it live...if they bring back God Part II or ASOH or something like that...they are going to nail it...Bono isn't going to forget lyrics on these songs because he is going to look over the exact lyrics before rehearsing...and I'm sure he already knows most of the lyrics already...

i could be wrong, but if Bono is going to continue to forget tid bits of lyrics here and there, I can't see him forgetting them on these types of songs...

the video I posted originally was a surprise performance if I remember correctly...so it was an understandable mess up, but if they are really planning on resurrecting some rarities and bringing them back into the setlist, Bono is going to deliver

Very cool! I paused it at that point too :up:

I'd love to see this live! Might have a massive blissful explosion as well!

Rob33 said:
when U2 resurrects songs Bono is going to sing it the way he wants to sing it...they will rehearse the songs many times, and nail it live...if they bring back God Part II or ASOH or something like that...they are going to nail it...Bono isn't going to forget lyrics on these songs because he is going to look over the exact lyrics before rehearsing...and I'm sure he already knows most of the lyrics already...

i could be wrong, but if Bono is going to continue to forget tid bits of lyrics here and there, I can't see him forgetting them on these types of songs...

the video I posted originally was a surprise performance if I remember correctly...so it was an understandable mess up, but if they are really planning on resurrecting some rarities and bringing them back into the setlist, Bono is going to deliver

Ahem, no, Rob33 – either you want to make us all laugh or you have obviously no idea, what you do talk about. U2 do resurrect songs (thanx to god to great, great results as seen especially on the last two tours), but they will always "nail it live". We do not talk about the E Street Band (and even they do make mistakes as every band on stage), but about U2.
One example? U2 decided to play the 1st gig in Slane in August 2001. It was a hard time, as we all know, but nevertheless, they rehearsed and were ready to go out. ASOH was on the setlist and more than apropriate, because the album TUF and Slane Castle are deeply connected. What followed on stage however, was a version, that was at best ramshackle – a live destruction of this pearl in U2's mid-80ies repertoire. They didn't nail it, but played a version, you can't call like that. Scott's fan driven version with the band, for example, was far better ...
U2 have to rehearse hard, when they want to redust brilliant & complex tunes like ASOH & TUF – but be happy, what you get – and don't look for perfection.

How I'd love to hear them play ASOH – just listen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FB1QCo1y_s

Last edited:
Now that they've brought back One Tree Hill and I've seen it, there's only one song I want U2 to bring back more than ASOH, and it's The Unforgettable Fire. Well, they're both on a par really. I'd be absolutely thrilled with either.

Rob33 said:

You are very wrong. There is the example of ASOH that ZooTVTourist just mentioned, which is a complete disaster, or if you want something more recent, check out the live return of Zoo Station on 2005-03-28 - the first time it had been played in over 12 years. They'd been soundchecking it, they even played it at the public rehearsal two days beforehand. What did Bono do? The exact opposite of nailing the lyrics. He completely flubbed them.

The funny part was one of his desperately improvised lyrics was "I'm ready for the ball and the ... bat / I'm ready for the ac-ro-bat", instantly spawning speculation here that U2 were going to play Acrobat.

I would like to see a sort of homecoming again. However, what absolutely needs to make a comeback is the full band version of In God's Country. The elevation acoustic versions were nice, but there were only a few of them, played at shows down south. Also: Twilight, Two Hearts Beat as One, God Part II and Exit.
This may seem like a long wish list, but think back to how many songs they resurrected on the Vertigo tour and still had plenty of room for all the recent material.

Axver said:

The funny part was one of his desperately improvised lyrics was "I'm ready for the ball and the ... bat / I'm ready for the ac-ro-bat", instantly spawning speculation here that U2 were going to play Acrobat.

Those are some awful lines :lol: I love it when Bono starts making up lyrics. He completely flubbed a snippet of In A Little While at one of the shows I was at on the third leg, and at the end he mumbled, "It's our song. We can fook it up if we want to."

I'd rather see One Tree Hill, Like A Song, Hawkmoon 269, Two Hearts Beat As One, or God Part II returning.

the tourist said:
I'd rather see One Tree Hill, Like A Song, Hawkmoon 269, Two Hearts Beat As One, or God Part II returning.

I'd like all of those too.

Well, not so crazy on THBAO, though it'd be a cool return. The others you mentioned along with ASOH would cause a lot of very happy posts from me in setlist parties.

well I stand corrected :)

I wasn't aware of any of those examples to be honest...

yeah full band IGC needs to be brought back too...acoustic is far less effective

During the vertigo tour, does anyone know if U2 rehearsed or sound checked any of the never before played live songs...like acrobat, RHMT, heartland...any of those?

CROKE PARK '05
I try to sing this song
I, It try to speak up
But I can't stand my feet
Gloria mise domine

Back
Top Bottom