A Sort of Homecoming is surprisingly good live. You agree?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madonna's child

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I love this song. But I recognize that what I love about it is it's atmospheric quality on the album. Therefore, I would assume that it wouldn't play well live. However, I was listening to an UF era bootleg today and I think A Sort of Homecoming sounds great. I like that they didn't try to recreate the album sound, but gave the live version it's own spunk.

What do you think?

Any other U2 songs that come out better live then you would have thought they would?

Last edited:
I definitely prefer the album version, but I do enjoy the live one. It's one of the songs I wish they still played on a regular basis. I have noted one thing over the years, though: most bootlegs I've listened to, Bono forgets to sing my very favorite U2 lyric, "see the sky, the burning rain / she will die and live again", singing "I'll be there, I'll be there" again instead. Not that I'd care if he F-ed the line on the new tour. I'd just like to hear the song live, in person. I'm sure they'd probably only play it in Dublin, though.

What bootleg were you listening to, by the way? If I have it, I'll go listen to it.

Last edited:
A Sort Of Homecoming, no matter what way you look at it, no matter what version you're looking at, is perfect.

Incredible song.

It's certainly my favorite. I always wished they'd included some footage of the band recording it on the Unforgettable Fire documentary. I've always thought the production on that song is the most revolutionary of their careers, and it's almost a complete mystery.

I've never heard the 2001 performance. It was the first Slane gig, right? I really want to find that show online.

Shade said:

What bootleg were you listening to, by the way? If I have it, I'll go listen to it.
It's called The Flame and the Fire. March 21, 1985

They really should bring this one back. As Axver said, it's perfect in any version.

I wonder if Bono's voice could hold up doing this on a regular basis though.

laz

Those of you who are saying the song is perfect in any version either haven't heard the 2001 performances or are very forgiving.

I was at the first Slane show and was so amped that they might play A Sort of Homecoming, then when they played it, it was such a letdown. I wanted so much more. Bono forgot 85% of the lyrics and there was no energy to it. It's like they played it because they felt they had to...because it was, indeed, a homecoming. It was an abbreviated, completely unrehearsed version and if I remember correctly, Bono was actually holding a piece of paper with the lyrics. :(

I was at the first show at Slane too. I went ballistic when I heard the intro to the song...it's one of the memories from that day that I'll probably never forget!

Thats what rehersals are for....they should reherse this track and bring it back maybe not nightly but id like to hear it at at least 20 percent of the shows this tour....

Bono always has problems remembering lyrics to songs though so the mishap in ireland shouldnt be surprising.

I've got the bootleg to the first Slane gig and indeed Bono can't remember the lyrics of about half the song. That version was a bit crap yeah, but I have heard live versions that were awesome! I'd love to hear it sometime live, because it is one of my favourite songs...

I love the "no spoken words, just a screeeeeeeeeee-yaaaaaaaaaay-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeam, yeah yeah!" bit.

lots of emotion. good times!

I don't know if Bono could hit those notes anymore, and if he couldn't the song would lose a lot of power. There are a few good live recordings of it out there, but not so many...I think there are fewer quality UF recordings than any other tour for some reason...only 3 soundboards and I don't think any are complete :( I'd love to see them mix in some different pre-JT tracks rather than I Will Follow over & over...

madonna's child said:
I love this song. But I recognize that what I love about it is it's atmospheric quality on the album. Therefore, I would assume that it wouldn't play well live. However, I was listening to an UF era bootleg today and I think A Sort of Homecoming sounds great. I like that they didn't try to recreate the album sound, but gave the live version it's own spunk.

What do you think?

Any other U2 songs that come out better live then you would have thought they would?

I've seen them play this live a bunch of times and they always did a great job on it.

I remember on the first leg of the JT tour, at the first SF Cow Palace show I remember thinking it was a pretty ho-hum performance in general and it not really taking off until ASOH which seemed to act as a spark.

Great live version on Wide Awake in America following an equally unbelievable "Bad". That tape (!) lives in my car stereo.

Back
Top Bottom