A reason to be pissed at Outkast - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2002, 02:33 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 01:17 PM
A reason to be pissed at Outkast

This wasn't a very nice thing for Dre to say, and not true either. What a loser!! It was in an article posted on the AP today on Yahoo News.

Dre, of OutKast, also thinks his group has little chance of winning.

"I think they'll throw it to U2 because they're at the end of their rope," he said Thursday, then added: "I
think it was a good year for U2."

Old 02-26-2002, 02:35 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by oktobergirl:
This wasn't a very nice thing for Dre to say, and not true either. What a loser!! It was in an article posted on the AP today on Yahoo News.

Dre, of OutKast, also thinks his group has little chance of winning.

"I think they'll throw it to U2 because they're at the end of their rope," he said Thursday, then added: "I
think it was a good year for U2."
well if that's what dre believes then he can say it.

Old 02-26-2002, 02:50 PM   #3
War Child

Local Time: 09:17 PM
I don't care, who is Dre anyways? LOL. C'mon. U2 is not at the end of their rope, but at least he said U2 had a good year. And yeah, they have no chance of winning. Which is good..

------------------
"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, live like there is no tomorrow, dance like no one is watching." --Bono

"The only limits are the limits of our imagination. Dream up the kind of world you want to live in. Dream out loud. At high VOLUME".
Old 02-26-2002, 11:25 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:17 PM
I agree with Skeek---not a big deal.

Maybe we can get him to apologize...
"I'm sorry Mr. Bono
HOOOOOOOOO
I am for REALLLL"

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart
Old 02-26-2002, 11:58 PM   #5
I'm a chauvinist leprechaun

Well.. He's gay (Bi at least), so we don't have to listen to him.

L.Unplugged

OutKast is one of my favorite rap groups, I've seen them in concert.. Just so ya'll know that I'm not ignorant on anything they do... And... sadly I need to add this in so as to not offend anyone.. 'I'm just joking'... As apparently people have already sat on that pole in their ass.

[This message has been edited by Lemonite (edited 02-26-2002).]
Old 02-27-2002, 12:05 AM   #6
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lemonite:
uh..
Old 02-27-2002, 12:06 AM   #7
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemonite:
Okay, anyways.... better set my time machine to return from the 17th century.

There are probably a lot of bands out there who don't care much for U2. I've heard that Travis aren't keen on them, but I don't really care too much, and I'm still a fan of theirs. You're not gonna agree with anyone on everything. It should matter if you like the music, not whether Band X likes U2.

------------------
Change is the only constant
Old 02-27-2002, 02:40 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Actually, I've read in the Q magazine that Travis saw U2 at the Slane show and Fran Healy thinks that U2 are the best band in the world nowadays.

As for Outkast and their comments, no big deal.
Old 02-27-2002, 03:03 AM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Great topic - for more Interferencer comments, visit: http://forum.interference.com/u2feed...ML/002019.html

Thanks!!
Old 02-27-2002, 03:54 AM   #10
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:17 PM
Well, whatever he said he is very talented, and Outkast rocks. So he's wrong about a few things... everyone is. that's one of the less scathing comments I've heard directed against U2, not really a big deal.
Old 02-27-2002, 05:37 AM   #11
I serve MacPhisto

I for one think it is kinda of a big deal if this moron is running his mouth because it shows he is jealous, and I highly doubt their album deserves honor over U2's. I like one song in particular off 'stankonia', but that would probably be it. Most of my problem with rap is their lack of individuality; i.e. sampling other artists' music to death, and the fact that they do not play insturments. When you see them perform, it's usually a bunch of "performers" onstage running around "rappin'" and grabbing their crotch and yelling "bitch" and "ho". While that can be entertaining, it shouldn't warrant a grammy. And back to the originality thing, how damn many rappers/singers are we going to have named Dre. At least Dr. Dre (formerly of N.W.A, back in the day jeahhhhhhh) is the original "Dre" and his songs DO kick ass.

------------------
The hunter gets captured by the game
Old 02-27-2002, 09:04 AM   #12
I'm a chauvinist leprechaun

Quote:
Originally posted by z edge:
I for one think it is kinda of a big deal if this moron is running his mouth because it shows he is jealous, and I highly doubt their album deserves honor over U2's. I like one song in particular off 'stankonia', but that would probably be it. Most of my problem with rap is their lack of individuality; i.e. sampling other artists' music to death, and the fact that they do not play insturments. When you see them perform, it's usually a bunch of "performers" onstage running around "rappin'" and grabbing their crotch and yelling "bitch" and "ho". While that can be entertaining, it shouldn't warrant a grammy. And back to the originality thing, how damn many rappers/singers are we going to have named Dre. At least Dr. Dre (formerly of N.W.A, back in the day jeahhhhhhh) is the original "Dre" and his songs DO kick ass.

I think one thing that does set outKast apart are their beats.. Their Production company Organized Noise, I think it was on their last album (They have four out.. most people only know of two), but on Aquemini, I think that they actually had a live band create the beats and the music on the album.. It's pretty sweet.. I'd check it out, and also.. the name Dre comes from all of em being named Andre.. I think that's where ya gotta start to Name Cleanse Rap..

And Dre is the king of all sampling.. TAking from all those funk songs.. However I too think his songs kick ass! Damn I'm mad I missed the Up In Smoke Tour.. Oh WEll.. That's why I'm going to a Nas Concert Tonight... Hahhaa.. none of ya'll proly even know who he is.. 'Umm Is he that guy that sings with that racist fugee?'.. BINGO.

L.Unplugged

Old 02-27-2002, 09:32 AM   #13
New Yorker

I'm thinking of buying Stankonia... Stanonia is supposedly groundbreaking and accessible. I've read that Stankonia is the critics choice...

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC
Old 02-27-2002, 10:14 AM   #14
New Yorker

I think Outkast is different from most of the rappers out there in the sense that they do sound a little more innovative and original.

As for the king of sampling, I'm going to have to disagree with lemonite and say Puff Daddy. I can never hear the Police's Every Breath You Take without getting pissed off at Puffy or P. Diddy or whatever.
Old 02-27-2002, 11:37 AM   #15
New Yorker

I thought Travis loved U2 or respected them greatly. I remember the Edge though not being as excited about them though.

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC
Old 02-27-2002, 12:46 PM   #16
The Fly

Local Time: 01:17 PM
wow.

ok.

z edge, in short. Outkast DOES use live instuments on its records since Aquanemi, Stankonia being no exception. On their live shows they actually have live guitar players and such accompany them. That being said, Stankonia is leaps and bounds better than ATYCLB. How can you say its not original when you have not even heard it??? OutKast is one of the driving creatve forces in music today. Furthermore, there is a deep sense of social consciousness with OutKast that also sets them apart from mainstream rap.

Furthermore, to say what you said about rappers, and then praise Dr. Dre is odd to say the least.

(also, that stupid "Dre" argument is stupid. His stage name is "Andre 3000." And Dr. Dre wasnt even the first Dr. Dre)

Stankonia DESERVES Album of the Year. But, U2 will win it. Im not upset by that, I like ATYCLB. I just think Stankonia is by far the superior album.

[This message has been edited by UCLAforU2 (edited 02-27-2002).]
Old 02-27-2002, 12:49 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by UCLAforU2:
Stankonia DESERVES Album of the Year. Nut U2 will win it. Im not upset by that, I like ATYCLB. I just think Stankonia is by far the superior album.
hahahahahahahahahha. That was pretty funny.
Old 02-27-2002, 01:33 PM   #18
The Fly

To be honest they just dont know U2 or maybe thats what the really think. I hope nobody gets pissed but......I hate it when people say U2 has copetition with Bob Dylan, i think he sucks. I would say he is on the end of his rope. Then again I dont know anything about his career. All I know is his album Time out of Mind won album of the year a few years back and I still cant name a fuckin song off that album (or heard one). I dont think it should go to the best selling but then again......Steely Dan over Eminem???????????????? I really dont like rap or even eminem but his album was very good. I could listen to almost every song because they told a story and the beats were great. Steely Dan???? I cant name one song or can say I have heard one song from them. So, I dont think outcast dislikes U2 I think they believe their album is better but not given the chance. I think their album is very good, I love that song BOB and ms. Jackson is okay.
Old 02-27-2002, 01:56 PM   #19
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by sharky:
I think Outkast is different from most of the rappers out there in the sense that they do sound a little more innovative and original.

As for the king of sampling, I'm going to have to disagree with lemonite and say Puff Daddy. I can never hear the Police's Every Breath You Take without getting pissed off at Puffy or P. Diddy or whatever.
The king of sampling, hands down, is DJ Shadow - well, Shadow isn't rap, but I believe he holds the title of "most samples" used on a record in the Guinness Book of World Records or something like that. Listen to Endtroducing and you'll catch my drift.

As for P. Diddy, the guy is more of a hack than anything else. His music is unoriginal and his covers sound like nails on a chalkboard. The guy is a self marketer, and I think that's how he got ahead in the music biz. That and hanging on Jennifer Lopez' arm for so long. Talk about a career boost.

Outkast are awesome though, regardless of what they might say about U2 - I could care less. Outkast is a nice refresher to the rap community. Their music has substance, they aren't "gangstas" singing bout bitches and ho's. They've given intelligent rap, rap with substance and merit, a voice in a genre that's had the spotlight on P. Diddy/Puffy/Puff Daddy for far too long.

Old 02-27-2002, 02:04 PM   #20
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by z edge:

I know other people have chimed in their disagreements to what you wrote, so I don't mean to jump on your case here - but Dre is really talented. He's got the flow, he's got the rhythm, Outkast's lyrics have substance. In short, they have the skillz.

As far as sampling and artists' lack of using "real instruments" that's something I don't really understand. A certain skill is required to using samples effectively so they "float" within the song rather than "carry" a song. It's kind of hard to explain... As for "real instruments", well, a certain amount of skill and technological know-how or various electronic epuipment/instruments is also required to to create music. Personally I play a lot of traditional instruments like the piano and guitar and bass etc, and only recently am I discovering how much skill and know-how is needed to play various electronic instruments including a sampler, synthesizer, equilizers, and software programs. The end result doesn't sound like an "organic" rock band like U2 of course, but music is music no matter how it's made.