A reason to be pissed at Outkast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oktobergirl

Refugee
This wasn't a very nice thing for Dre to say, and not true either. What a loser!! It was in an article posted on the AP today on Yahoo News.

Dre, of OutKast, also thinks his group has little chance of winning.

"I think they'll throw it to U2 because they're at the end of their rope," he said Thursday, then added: "I
think it was a good year for U2."

Originally posted by oktobergirl:
This wasn't a very nice thing for Dre to say, and not true either. What a loser!! It was in an article posted on the AP today on Yahoo News.

Dre, of OutKast, also thinks his group has little chance of winning.

"I think they'll throw it to U2 because they're at the end of their rope," he said Thursday, then added: "I
think it was a good year for U2."

well if that's what dre believes then he can say it.

I don't care, who is Dre anyways? LOL. C'mon. U2 is not at the end of their rope, but at least he said U2 had a good year. And yeah, they have no chance of winning. Which is good..

------------------
"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, live like there is no tomorrow, dance like no one is watching." --Bono

"The only limits are the limits of our imagination. Dream up the kind of world you want to live in. Dream out loud. At high VOLUME".

Well.. He's gay (Bi at least), so we don't have to listen to him.

L.Unplugged

OutKast is one of my favorite rap groups, I've seen them in concert.. Just so ya'll know that I'm not ignorant on anything they do... And... sadly I need to add this in so as to not offend anyone.. 'I'm just joking'... As apparently people have already sat on that pole in their ass.

[This message has been edited by Lemonite (edited 02-26-2002).]

Originally posted by Lemonite:
Well.. He's gay (Bi at least), so we don't have to listen to him.

Okay, anyways.... better set my time machine to return from the 17th century.
rolleyes.gif

There are probably a lot of bands out there who don't care much for U2. I've heard that Travis aren't keen on them, but I don't really care too much, and I'm still a fan of theirs. You're not gonna agree with anyone on everything. It should matter if you like the music, not whether Band X likes U2.

------------------
Change is the only constant

Well, whatever he said he is very talented, and Outkast rocks. So he's wrong about a few things... everyone is. that's one of the less scathing comments I've heard directed against U2, not really a big deal.

I for one think it is kinda of a big deal if this moron is running his mouth because it shows he is jealous, and I highly doubt their album deserves honor over U2's. I like one song in particular off 'stankonia', but that would probably be it. Most of my problem with rap is their lack of individuality; i.e. sampling other artists' music to death, and the fact that they do not play insturments. When you see them perform, it's usually a bunch of "performers" onstage running around "rappin'" and grabbing their crotch and yelling "bitch" and "ho". While that can be entertaining, it shouldn't warrant a grammy. And back to the originality thing, how damn many rappers/singers are we going to have named Dre. At least Dr. Dre (formerly of N.W.A, back in the day jeahhhhhhh) is the original "Dre" and his songs DO kick ass.

------------------
The hunter gets captured by the game

Originally posted by z edge:
I for one think it is kinda of a big deal if this moron is running his mouth because it shows he is jealous, and I highly doubt their album deserves honor over U2's. I like one song in particular off 'stankonia', but that would probably be it. Most of my problem with rap is their lack of individuality; i.e. sampling other artists' music to death, and the fact that they do not play insturments. When you see them perform, it's usually a bunch of "performers" onstage running around "rappin'" and grabbing their crotch and yelling "bitch" and "ho". While that can be entertaining, it shouldn't warrant a grammy. And back to the originality thing, how damn many rappers/singers are we going to have named Dre. At least Dr. Dre (formerly of N.W.A, back in the day jeahhhhhhh) is the original "Dre" and his songs DO kick ass.

I think one thing that does set outKast apart are their beats.. Their Production company Organized Noise, I think it was on their last album (They have four out.. most people only know of two), but on Aquemini, I think that they actually had a live band create the beats and the music on the album.. It's pretty sweet.. I'd check it out, and also.. the name Dre comes from all of em being named Andre.. I think that's where ya gotta start to Name Cleanse Rap..

And Dre is the king of all sampling.. TAking from all those funk songs.. However I too think his songs kick ass! Damn I'm mad I missed the Up In Smoke Tour.. Oh WEll.. That's why I'm going to a Nas Concert Tonight... Hahhaa.. none of ya'll proly even know who he is.. 'Umm Is he that guy that sings with that racist fugee?'.. BINGO.

L.Unplugged

I'm thinking of buying Stankonia... Stanonia is supposedly groundbreaking and accessible. I've read that Stankonia is the critics choice...

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

I think Outkast is different from most of the rappers out there in the sense that they do sound a little more innovative and original.

As for the king of sampling, I'm going to have to disagree with lemonite and say Puff Daddy. I can never hear the Police's Every Breath You Take without getting pissed off at Puffy or P. Diddy or whatever.

I thought Travis loved U2 or respected them greatly. I remember the Edge though not being as excited about them though.

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

wow.

ok.

z edge, in short. Outkast DOES use live instuments on its records since Aquanemi, Stankonia being no exception. On their live shows they actually have live guitar players and such accompany them. That being said, Stankonia is leaps and bounds better than ATYCLB. How can you say its not original when you have not even heard it??? OutKast is one of the driving creatve forces in music today. Furthermore, there is a deep sense of social consciousness with OutKast that also sets them apart from mainstream rap.

Furthermore, to say what you said about rappers, and then praise Dr. Dre is odd to say the least.

(also, that stupid "Dre" argument is stupid. His stage name is "Andre 3000." And Dr. Dre wasnt even the first Dr. Dre)

Stankonia DESERVES Album of the Year. But, U2 will win it. Im not upset by that, I like ATYCLB. I just think Stankonia is by far the superior album.

[This message has been edited by UCLAforU2 (edited 02-27-2002).]

Originally posted by UCLAforU2:
Stankonia DESERVES Album of the Year. Nut U2 will win it. Im not upset by that, I like ATYCLB. I just think Stankonia is by far the superior album.

hahahahahahahahahha. That was pretty funny.

To be honest they just dont know U2 or maybe thats what the really think. I hope nobody gets pissed but......I hate it when people say U2 has copetition with Bob Dylan, i think he sucks. I would say he is on the end of his rope. Then again I dont know anything about his career. All I know is his album Time out of Mind won album of the year a few years back and I still cant name a fuckin song off that album (or heard one). I dont think it should go to the best selling but then again......Steely Dan over Eminem???????????????? I really dont like rap or even eminem but his album was very good. I could listen to almost every song because they told a story and the beats were great. Steely Dan???? I cant name one song or can say I have heard one song from them. So, I dont think outcast dislikes U2 I think they believe their album is better but not given the chance. I think their album is very good, I love that song BOB and ms. Jackson is okay.

Originally posted by sharky:
I think Outkast is different from most of the rappers out there in the sense that they do sound a little more innovative and original.

As for the king of sampling, I'm going to have to disagree with lemonite and say Puff Daddy. I can never hear the Police's Every Breath You Take without getting pissed off at Puffy or P. Diddy or whatever.

The king of sampling, hands down, is DJ Shadow - well, Shadow isn't rap, but I believe he holds the title of "most samples" used on a record in the Guinness Book of World Records or something like that. Listen to Endtroducing and you'll catch my drift.
smile.gif

As for P. Diddy, the guy is more of a hack than anything else. His music is unoriginal and his covers sound like nails on a chalkboard. The guy is a self marketer, and I think that's how he got ahead in the music biz. That and hanging on Jennifer Lopez' arm for so long. Talk about a career boost.

Outkast are awesome though, regardless of what they might say about U2 - I could care less. Outkast is a nice refresher to the rap community. Their music has substance, they aren't "gangstas" singing bout bitches and ho's. They've given intelligent rap, rap with substance and merit, a voice in a genre that's had the spotlight on P. Diddy/Puffy/Puff Daddy for far too long.

Originally posted by z edge:

I know other people have chimed in their disagreements to what you wrote, so I don't mean to jump on your case here - but Dre is really talented. He's got the flow, he's got the rhythm, Outkast's lyrics have substance. In short, they have the skillz.
wink.gif

As far as sampling and artists' lack of using "real instruments" that's something I don't really understand. A certain skill is required to using samples effectively so they "float" within the song rather than "carry" a song. It's kind of hard to explain... As for "real instruments", well, a certain amount of skill and technological know-how or various electronic epuipment/instruments is also required to to create music. Personally I play a lot of traditional instruments like the piano and guitar and bass etc, and only recently am I discovering how much skill and know-how is needed to play various electronic instruments including a sampler, synthesizer, equilizers, and software programs. The end result doesn't sound like an "organic" rock band like U2 of course, but music is music no matter how it's made.

First of all, I think that some of us are being a little sensitive and taking this too seriously here. It is cliche to think that because someone is older that they are at the end of their rope. Outkast is totally being cliche and unoriginal by saying that. He also is OBVIOUSLY very jealous of U2 and of the fact that he put out a great album but has been seen as a token nomination to make the grammies look hip.

Even if U2 are at the end of their rope(and I doubt that is the case very much), they have had the most critically, commercially, entertaining and inspiringly relevant career since the Beatles. Outkast may not even be relevant in 5 years, neverless 20 years from now.

By the way, U2 may not deserve the Album of the year(which would make them the ONLY artist to win that twice!!!). However, if you remember, Acthung Baby deserved Album of the year in '93 so this is a little revenge, eh?

Besides, people should hope that U2 win just for the simple fact that Bono's speeches will undoubtedly be the most original, articulate and memorable at the show anyway.

Originally posted by MBH:
Besides, people should hope that U2 win just for the simple fact that Bono's speeches will undoubtedly be the most original, articulate and memorable at the show anyway.

Actually, I think Edge could give Bono a run for his money on funny acceptance speeches.
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Originally posted by UCLAforU2:
wow.

ok.

z edge, in short. Outkast DOES use live instuments on its records since Aquanemi, Stankonia being no exception. On their live shows they actually have live guitar players and such accompany them. That being said, Stankonia is leaps and bounds better than ATYCLB. How can you say its not original when you have not even heard it??? OutKast is one of the driving creatve forces in music today. Furthermore, there is a deep sense of social consciousness with OutKast that also sets them apart from mainstream rap.

Furthermore, to say what you said about rappers, and then praise Dr. Dre is odd to say the least.

(also, that stupid "Dre" argument is stupid. His stage name is "Andre 3000." And Dr. Dre wasnt even the first Dr. Dre)

Stankonia DESERVES Album of the Year. But, U2 will win it. Im not upset by that, I like ATYCLB. I just think Stankonia is by far the superior album.

[This message has been edited by UCLAforU2 (edited 02-27-2002).]

Well if you are going to bother to say my arguement is stupid then I'll return the favor to you and then we can both be stupid, how's that for fair.

I haven't heard the whole album, so I can't fairly judge it against ATYCLB, and I'm wondering if the same can't be said for "DRE" and his comments. My response was to his, and I think albums should be judged on the music and lyrics as well as the production and chemistry.

When U2 goes on tour, they don't have "additional live guitar players accompany them", they don't need them. It should be about the 4-5-6 or what ever you have on stage and in the studio, not all of the extras and dancers and people they have to hire to recreate that one-time only sound.
And how many rap records these days have the artist and then featuring (insert long list of singers here)different artists. Why do they need the help to sell the record?

I assume that Outkast probably has a better album in whole than I'm giving them credit for, as U2 has a better one than "DRE" is giving them credit for.

------------------
The hunter gets captured by the game

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
hahahahahahahahahha. That was pretty funny.

Why? I don't understand at all... am I missing something? I just hope you're not laughing at him because he has different musical preferences than you.

As far as Outkast, I think Stankonia is far more innovative and interesting than ATYCLB, but I like ATYCLB better.

I think 'innovation' (when is something innovative anyway?) is as overrated as dance routines are in an 'n shrink forum

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Skeek: I agree with you on one level. About the musical taste differences. I feel like people in this forum bash you if you are not totally-pro-all out on U2 material. Theres a lot of good artists out there right now including Alicia Keys whom I think should win best song and record of the year. Its a superior pop song to "Walk On". But of course I will get slammed for saying this because I'm not sticking up for every single U2 song. Even if "I threw a brick through a window" was up for song of the year, it seems that no other artist would have a chance in the eyes of this forum.

But I disagree with you on the Album choice. I think ATYCLB is one of the best albums released in years. Its complete and melodic. It may not have broken new ground for music, but in a way it sort of brought music "back to earth" so to speak.

------------------
"You gotta put the women and children first, but you've got an unquenchable thirst for New York..."

Originally posted by tackleberry:
Skeek: I agree with you on one level. About the musical taste differences. I feel like people in this forum bash you if you are not totally-pro-all out on U2 material. Theres a lot of good artists out there right now including Alicia Keys whom I think should win best song and record of the year. Its a superior pop song to "Walk On". But of course I will get slammed for saying this because I'm not sticking up for every single U2 song. Even if "I threw a brick through a window" was up for song of the year, it seems that no other artist would have a chance in the eyes of this forum.

I am not a fan of Alicia Keys at all (she DOES have talent, she just isn't the kind of music I like) but I do have to say I do NOT like I Threw A Brick Through a Window. See? Diehard U2 fan saying that.
wink.gif

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Originally posted by SkeeK:
Why? I don't understand at all... am I missing something? I just hope you're not laughing at him because he has different musical preferences than you.

I laughed because I found it amusing. Is that ok with you?

KhanadaRhodes- I ment off their album that won the grammy. If you still think thats crazy then I think you must be 1 of the 10 people who bought that album. I REALLY think Eminem shuld have won, even Radiohead whould have been a better choice

First off, since I have always been a defender and fan of OutKast, let me make this point then to defend those comments. First off, the part where he said that U2 was at the end of their rope is a justifiable one because basically of their age and a pure opinion of U2 in general at how old they are the age of all other muiscal heavy weights - nothing against the band. You guys say this about Rolling Stones all the time and you guys crying makes you look too much like fanatic internet fans - which you may be and that may not be really bad. And the second comment is a good comment either way you look at it. So all I say is let someone have their own opinion of a subject and this is harmless, when he calls U2 the "band that has no talent anymore and are getting awarded for their career only with this album", then you can go after him.

Second off, Dre played guitar on every song for the album Stankonia and what you guys may not realize about the album Stankonia is that it is an album that is an attack on rap music and hip hop music at the times, and trust me, Dre is as much of a critic of hip hop as any of you people and maybe even more so. Most people here though don't like hip hop because they refuse to like it, they just assume things of it and move on - which is basic close minded attitude and sorry to say it, but a lot of you guys are close minded with music. For what its worth, Stankonia is the only album of its year to become an instant classic, not with record breaking figure sales but an album that was known as a break through album for hip hop in general, an album that was about moving forward and offering something hip hop hadn't seen in a long time, with its fascination for violence, it offered hope.

~********

Back
Top Bottom