A REAL U2 fan wouldn't do this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2ITNOL

Acrobat
11 hours since the Phoenix show and I'm still elevated! Couldn't get to sleep til 2am. Then had my alarm set to 7:00am this morning so I could get ready to drive over to Best Buy for the free U2 live cd sampler they're giving away. A Best Buy employee was right there giving them away as soon as you walked in. Well first he asks, "Would you like a free U2 cd?". I've got my Elevation tour t-shirt and baseballcap on, and he still asks me this! DUH!!

Now to the real reason for my posting.. Yesterday was indeed a beautiful day. Phoenix was my last Elevation show. :-( 13 shows total since April. For my last Elevation, it couldn't have been any better! An amazing concert! And in my hometown, too. The only blemish on an otherwise perfect day occurred earlier in the day. I had a GA ticket and showed up at America West Arena around 5am. I parked my Jeep in an open-air pay lot across the street from the arena, right by where the GA people were lined up. Most of the early GA'ers were parked in the same lot. My Jeep has an Arizona personalized license plate which says "U2 POP". I've had that plate since '97 when that album first came out. At 10am I decided I'd move my Jeep to another parking lot since the one I was parked in was going to be charging $12 later in the day. So I drove it to a $5 parking garage a couple blocks away. As I'm walking behind my Jeep leaving the garage, I notice my U2 plate is gone!! They took the license plate and my Diamondbacks 2001 World Series Champions plate holder I had just bought a three days ago. grrrrrrr!!! They even took the license plate screws! I couldn't believe it!!! I called the police when I got back to the arena. They filed a police report and gave me the report number to give to the cops in case I get pulled over this weekend.
Who would do such a thing?? Stealing someone's U2 license plate off their car. How pathetic!! And stupid. Someone told me stealing someone's license plate is a federal offense. I'll have the plate replaced of course, so at the most it's only going to be an incovenience having to drive around this weekend with a good chance of being pulled over multiple times. And then having to take some time off from work Monday to go wait in line at the MVD. What really pissed me off and disappoints me is that it very likely a U2 fan who stole my plate. Well, obviously not a real U2 fan. A REAL U2 fan would not do such a thing to a fellow U2 fan, or anyone else for that matter. I hope the scumbag who stole my plate is feeling guilt and shame this morning. They'll have to live with this on their conscience, if they have one.

Sorry-that's AWFUL. Doctorwho said he knew about another person's license plate being stolen too. Obviously, the only appeal it would have is to a U2 fan-so one must have taken it.

Like many people have said in the other thread-people in general behave so badly sometimes. That doesn't make it hurt any less, I know. I have had a few bad experiences lately-w/ my 'idealism' about fans-and people in general-being shattered. All I can do is try to tell myself that the good experiences outweigh the bad-hopefully, in time, you can too.

Karma will come back to bite this person in the you-know-what. So sorry that happened to you
frown.gif

Yeah, this is twice now that I have heard of personalized U2 plates being stolen.

These people are morons. Plain and simple.

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

Thats very brutal... people are so selfish and inconsiderate it makes me sick. GRRR

Hope that you can forgive them for being human, but that is behaviour unbecoming a U2 fan and they should be banned from all concerts, and the subsequent parking lots involved therein.

All I can do is try to tell myself that the good experiences outweigh the bad-hopefully, in time, you can too.

I agree wholeheartedly! When it comes to U2 fans, the good far outweighs the bad. It's very apparent when you've spent hours and hours in GA lines with fellow U2 fans throughout the country, and world. Most U2 fans will go out of their way to help out each other. I myself have been on the giving and receiving end many times over the years. Helping out fans get copies of audio/video bootlegs they desperately want. Or concert photos. Even offering room and board to complete strangers. Even just yesterday I came across many examples. One gal in the GA line yesterday was giving away CD-R's of the Irving Plaza show. She wasn't asking for anything in return. Just giving them out. How cool is that? And the guy I was standing next to in the heart was super cool. I was in the 2nd row of people by the front stage in between Edge and Bono. I'm kinda short, so it can be hard to get a clear unobstructed view for photographs. So I asked this taller guy if he wouldn't mind me handing him my digital camera throughout the show. He was more than happy to help out and got me some great shots. He gave me his business card afterwards and worked out a deal. I'll get him a cd-r of all the photographs taken last night. And in return he's hooking me up with a cd-r bootleg of last night's show. His buddy in the reserved seats recorded the whole thing. Hope it came out great!!

[This message has been edited by U2ITNOL (edited 11-24-2001).]

Originally posted by ~unforgettableFOXfire~:
that is behaviour unbecoming a U2 fan and they should be banned from all concerts, and the subsequent parking lots involved therein.

I don't fault the parking lot at all. It's one of those unattended lots where you slip your money into a box for your numbered parking space. I originally wanted to park my Jeep in one of the parkings garages, but at 5am most of them were still closed.

Originally posted by Diamond The U2 Patriot:
John I was pretty stunned when you shared that w/me..
Hope your day is better today.
DB9

My day is going good so far. I'm quite tired from not getting much sleep the past two nights. I dragged myself out of bed this morning so I could get down to Best Buy at 8am and get one of the free U2 cd's. It was worth it. I originally was just going to get the free cd and leave since I already bought the Elevation DVD earlier this week. But I ended up buying a couple things anyway. Picked up the new Sting live cd recorded on 9-11. And the 2-disc (3 hour) DVD of Bruce Springsteen at Madison Square Garden. I only got to see part of that show on HBO when it aired a while back. Something to watch tonight. I think I'll follow up the The Boss tonight with another viewing of the Boston Elevation DVD. That dvd just rocks with my home theater setup; 65" 16:9 digital-ready widescreen tv and Dolby Digital 5.1 receiver. Maybe I should throw a dvd viewing party. Everyone's invited!
smile.gif

Originally posted by U2ITNOL:
But I ended up buying a couple things anyway. And the 2-disc (3 hour) DVD of Bruce Springsteen at Madison Square Garden. I only got to see part of that show on HBO when it aired a while back. Something to watch tonight.

Yes-this DVD is amazing-well, I'm a HUGE fan of The Boss-but nothing like some Springsteen to lift your spirits!

You've got a GREAT attitude- I applaud you for it-I don't bounce back so easily-and I'm amazed and so happy to hear of your GOOD experiences at the show.

I dragged myself out of bed to get the free CD too-listening to it right now. WOW-lucky you w/ that home theater you have.
smile.gif

See-you're having a good day today-and I'd be willing to bet that the person who stole your plate ISN'T.

....oO(didn't I see this plate for sale on E-bay) *kidding*

Sorry to hear of your loss, it does suck!

for a fellow u2 fan to steal from another, that is just plain pathetic. im sorry to hear that. i wonder if that person is stupid enough to try to use it on his/her own car. i hope he or she gets caught.

Back
Top Bottom