A new review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Michael Griffiths said:

I don't think it's as cut and dry as that. America loved Achtung Baby and even digested quite a bit of Zooropa as far as I can tell. I do know that Pop didn't do so well in America after 'Disco...' took its nose dive. Oddly enough Pop did quite well in Canada, though.

Yes..I think I remember from reading on here that Achtung Baby sold about 8 million in the US alone! Its funny people neglect to mention that sometimes when they talk about '90s U2 "failing"

Sleep Over Jack said:

Indeed..the only thing they really share is a more anthemic style of music.

And why would U2 want to go back anyway? The whole point in a new album is that its a new sound and experience, i for one would be hugely dissapointed if it just sounded the same there other albums.

Of course i'll keep reading the posts, cause here is the place to find new stuff like mp3 from gigs, news from mags with U2 on cover etc.

That's valuable info i can only get here.

But i'm done with posting here.

I'm sure i'm even a bigger fan than most of you "positive ppl". I spend loads of time listening to U2 and buying all kinds of U2 stuff. In fact, i have in my house an "U2 Museum" that occupies a full room.

But i'm a critical person. And i hate when ppl turn to sheeps and start a blind following.

Sorry if it sounds cruel, but that's the feeling i get from the majority of posts i here.

You ppl want to celebrate U2 for the sake of it.

And i hate it, it makes me wanna puke when i read something like "COBL is better than anything after Stay".

I'll keep reading the posts, but i won't post anymore. It's not good for my heart.

PowerSurge said:

Last time I checked Griffiths is not Portuguese......
Does it need to be? No, it doesn't. The point is, it's wrong to assume someone from a certain place is not worthy of writing a review because that place is not somewhere like New York or Los Angeles or what have you. Totally presumptious of you. Have you checked out the musical scene in Portugual? Have you spoken with the locals? I haven't, but I haven't assumed a judgement. All I've said is that I wouldn't be surprised if Portugal is muscially savvy, as most places like that usually are. By the way, you didn't even respond to my post, and instead resort to sarcastic smileys and silly one liners that don't even have any barring. Why do you do this? Honest question.

super fly guy said:

And why would U2 want to go back anyway? The whole point in a new album is that its a new sound and experience, i for one would be hugely dissapointed if it just sounded the same there other albums.

Agreed on all counts...there would be no quicker way for U2 to become a new late-period Stones than to re-hash their past glories.

PowerSurge, tu viveste em portugal na mesma cidade onde eu vivo e tens a coragem de fazer um comentario daqueles.
Tu mais do que ninguém devias ter respeito por Portugal. Tenho pena que os americanos tenham de aturar pessoas como tu, que nem de perto, nos representam a nós portugueses.

U2_Guy said:
But i'm a critical person. And i hate when ppl turn to sheeps and start a blind following.
Did you miss my post from earlier? Here's what I wrote:

I find it somewhat hypocritical for people to complain about the blind devotion for U2 regarding praise of the new album, when these same very people are equally as blind in the opposite direction. They hide behind the term "critical", when, in actual fact, they are not being critical at all. To be critical, one has to critique, using facts of reference, otherwise it is merely opinion without substance. The truth is, neither the "blind devotees" nor the "blind critics" are being critical whatsoever - and this is because none of them have actually heard the album! So until they have, it's all conjecture - no matter which "blind" camp you belong to (should you belong to either of them of course).

So to say that it is "fact" that the new album is not very good and that it is "fact" they are the next Rolling Stones just screams of hypocrisy. End of rant.

Michael Griffiths said:

Does it need to be? No, it doesn't. The point is, it's wrong to assume someone from a certain place is not worthy of writing a review because that place is not somewhere like New York or Los Angeles or what have you. Totally presumptious of you. Have you checked out the musical scene in Portugual? Have you spoken with the locals? I haven't, but I haven't assumed a judgement. All I've said is that I wouldn't be surprised if Portugal is muscially savvy, as most places like that usually are.

I agree with you and i think all the users in this forum should respect everybody's opinion, because we are here for the same reason, U2.

I am working on translating the French article. I might post it in new thread, however, as this one as drifted away from the subject.

U2_Guy said:
Of course i'll keep reading the posts, cause here is the place to find new stuff like mp3 from gigs, news from mags with U2 on cover etc.

That's valuable info i can only get here.

But i'm done with posting here.

I'm sure i'm even a bigger fan than most of you "positive ppl". I spend loads of time listening to U2 and buying all kinds of U2 stuff. In fact, i have in my house an "U2 Museum" that occupies a full room.

Sorry if it sounds cruel, but that's the feeling i get from the majority of posts i here.

You ppl want to celebrate U2 for the sake of it.

And i hate it, it makes me wanna puke when i read something like "COBL is better than anything after Stay".

I'll keep reading the posts, but i won't post anymore. It's not good for my heart.

Seriously, despite my sarcasm, you should continue to post. It gives me something to argue about. :wink: Truthfully, I get equally annoyed at extreme positive posts and extreme negative posts about the new album. It really is too early to tell about the album, I expect to like it a lot but I don't go around saying how great it is or will be. I haven't heard it! I just want people to be open and not make up their minds w/o hearing all the songs, in full quality, as a cohesive whole.

And if the group here infuriates you sometimes, go to the Bang and the Clatter, a lot of people there seem to actually like some bands other than U2. Isn't that amazing?

I apologize for my earlier sarcasm, I just want you to keep an open mind. While not expecting it from U2 necessarily, someday some band will make their best music in their 40's. Every trend gets broken one day.

I agree Michael Griffiths, on many of your points including your last post. I also agree with what you said earlier of AB, this is an album that cannot be emulated, it came out at a time when the band was in limbo, they came close to breaking up, no one knew which direction the band should take. The band just aren't at this stage anymore and I am kind of glad. This new album will have quite a difficult time surpassing AB in my book, but I am not listening to it with that thought in mind. I will listen to it with an open mind and decide where it stands against other albums later.

Brunocam said:

I agree with you and i think all the users in this forum should respect everybody's opinion, because we are here for the same reason, U2.

:wave: Viva Portugal .... Viva U2

Off topic, but the first time I heard Love is Blindness the first thought that came to my mind was that U2 was doing their version of "Fado" (AKA Portuguese Blues)

U2_Guy, don't stop posting because of an argument, that's just childish.

just take a deep breath, maybe have a drink, or 5 and come back. just don't post drunk, i've learned my lesson when it comes to that.

So...the argument is that we're upset because it won't sound like Actung Baby? ...or...?

Finally, a realistic review of the album.

Yeah U2_Guy don't leave I know your opinion is respected by most. Trust me I know how pissed off arguments can get people, I argue all the time about Peyton Manning vs. Tom Brady (NFL) with people and I get so angry I want to tear my monitor in half but in the end I realize it is just 2 (or more) people arguing about things they feel strongly enough about that they don't want to back down. Sorry if I am making no sense I am typing this fast.

ZigZag said:

Finally, a realistic review of the album.
My thoughts exactly. It's nice to finally have one that isn't at all a "promo" type review. Although, fan reviews like this one can also be just as biased for different reasons. Often fans assume the record to sound a certain way, which taints their perception of the album. Instead of listening for what the album is, they listen for what it isn't. Always a big mistake when reviewing something.

PS. U2 Guy, let me add I think you should stick around. It's nice to have a conversation outside of your own opinions, right?

Last edited:
Cutters10C said:
Yeah U2_Guy don't leave I know your opinion is respected by most. Trust me I know how pissed off arguments can get people, I argue all the time about Peyton Manning vs. Tom Brady (NFL) with people and I get so angry I want to tear my monitor in half but in the end I realize it is just 2 (or more) people arguing about things they feel strongly enough about that they don't want to back down. Sorry if I am making no sense I am typing this fast.

4 years of anticipation for a new album :grumpy:

+

different fan factions (ATYCLB bashers, Pop bashers, Post R&H bashers...) :angel: :mac: :macdevil: :yawn:

+

NO F..ING LEAKS :banghead:

+

Lots of speculation and cryptic reviews :scratch:

+

A little immaturity :madspit:

= Conflict :(

U2_Guy said:

Do you have 2 hours? I can go on and on...

Iraq, Bush, the new imperialism, Cheney, wars created for money, etc etc etc...

Go vote for Bush...again... cause you ppl don't have a clue about the world...

what's amazing is how acceptable it is for people to say and post things about Americans that they would *never* say about any other group on earth -- african, jewish, gay, female, etc.

let's all agree that there are 300m people in America, and about half of them dislike the administration. good people can disagree about American policy, or American adminstrations, but to paint all Americans as some sort of monolithic group -- this would be to think and act in the opposite direction of what U2 stands for.

let's also leave phrases like "you people" to those with small minds who cannot take the time to value individuals -- those like racists, misogynists, anti-semites, and homophobes.

and, for the record, i'm an American who intensely dislikes the bush administration, but i thinks the rest of the world should try living in this country (especially after the mindfuck of the past 3 years) before they start judging how and why people vote. let's think for a change, and not fall back on easy, comfortable generalizations.

yeah, that is one thing that got under my nerves. i honestly love everything U2 has released, and i'm not voting for Bush.

this was obviously an attempt to generalize optimistic U2 fans as being as stupid as Bush supporters.

now, as much as i think Bush is an idiot, i can't classify the people who are voting for him as idiots, though i do question their motives.

that generalization is simply rediculous.

still stay though.:wink:

I'll keep reading the posts, but i won't post anymore. It's not good for my heart. [/B]

I've been an obsessed U2 fan since 1983. COBL is undoubtely better than Stay IMO.

If you can't stand other peoples opinion then away you go, close the door after you...

one concern about COBL: can anyone else imagine this song playing as Molly Ringwald enters the prom with a fabulous new dress?

because i can.

please don't kill me if that image ruins the song for you.

i do love the song.

i really, really do.

Michael Griffiths said:

PS. U2 Guy, let me add I think you should stick around. It's nice to have a conversation outside of your own opinions, right?

Well yes, but not from a stupid American apparently. :wink:

U2_Guy could use some mellowing out. I live in the States. I don't like Bush. If I generalized about Brazilians the way he generalized about Americans he'd howl bloody murder.
For that matter, if I generalized about Brazilians the way he generalized about Americans people would call me nationalistic (at best) and a racist (at worst). Or maybe just a "typical American." :|

And as hard as it may be for U2_Guy to understand some Americans do know a little bit about the rest of the world. :|

I know a lot of Brazilians--most of them are very pleasant people. U2_Guy is almost relentlessly negative.
That's why he irks some of us.

I just posted my own translation of the review in French from U2achtung.com in a new thread. Enjoy!

(Warning: it's not an all-positive review, but still a fairly good one IMO:wink: )

Irvine511 said:
one concern about COBL: can anyone else imagine this song playing as Molly Ringwald enters the prom with a fabulous new dress?

because i can.

please don't kill me if that image ruins the song for you.

i do love the song.

i really, really do.
It does have that kind 'a glossy bigness to it, I must admit.

Never. Again. Mention. Molly Ringwald. And U2. In the same sentence.

Back
Top Bottom