A line from OOTS.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axver

Vocal parasite
I've seen a lot of quotes from OOTS that mention the following:

Some things you shouldn't get too good at/Like smiling, crying, and celebrity

However, I think that's wrong. I was listening to the song earlier, and focused on the lyrics for the first time in ages, and maybe it's been noted before, but rather than Bono simply enunciating badly and skipping the 'b' of 'celebrity', he's actually singing:

Some things you shouldn't get too good at/Like smiling, crining, and celerity

I just listened to the bootleg from the Brooklyn Bridge show and Bono sounds to definitely say 'celerity' rather than 'celebrity', despite what I see quoted regularly. 'Celerity' is defined as being swiftness, quickness, rapidity of movement. I think it makes more sense in the context of the song than 'celebrity'.

Has this already been noted and I'm just thinking of out-of-date quotes? Or am I going mad?

from U2.com :

Some things you shouldn’t get too good at
Like smiling, crying and celebrity

I never doubted that, of course I have been wrong on lyrics before.

Also, that is probably the worst line on the album. Like anyone can relate to being a celebrity.

I never thought it sounded much like "celebrity," but it makes more sense than "celerity" (and sounds like the kind of stupid thing Bono would come up with). Can you explain how "celerity" fits?

I think the lyrics in the album liner notes and on the web site were probably transcribed by goof-offs at the record company, so they're not necessarily authoritative.

well, I understand that, but how fucking obtuse is celerity?

probably right up Bono's alley to use that, but I don't think he did.

celerity:: rapidity of motion or action

how does it mean to "not get too get at being swift"?
It doesn't make any sense.

Occams razor: it's celebrity and it's still a bad lyric. Sorry Bono. :)

typhoon said:
I never thought it sounded much like "celebrity," but it makes more sense than "celerity" (and sounds like the kind of stupid thing Bono would come up with). Can you explain how "celerity" fits?

I really don't get it if it's 'celebrity'. "Some things you shouldn't get too good at, like ... celebrity" inspires a WTF? reaction. Is celebrity even something you can be good or bad at? It's a status, not an action like smiling, crying, or celerity. However, as 'celerity', I think it makes sense - you shouldn't get too good at rushing to and fro in a swift manner (fast paced, fake, demanding society and such), or something like that. I haven't really analysed the song, but 'celerity' definitely seems to fit more. And Bono doesn't sing a 'b'.

I think the lyrics in the album liner notes and on the web site were probably transcribed by goof-offs at the record company, so they're not necessarily authoritative.

Agreed there. We've seen some terrible lyrics released before.

Axver said:
Or am I going mad?

:yes:
;)

To answer seriously, I definitely hear a "b" in that word. To me, not getting too good at crying (ok, maybe that one makes sense) and smiling (what's so bad about being good at smiles? does he mean one should not be good at fake emotions with these two examples?) makes less sense than celebrity (this word is IMO Bono poking fun at the rock star cliche image, something he obviusly isn't good at)

I always sing "like reading, writing, and arithmetic" when I hear "like smiling, crying, and celebrity".

Is that bad? I'm not anti-education at all.

The only thing that bothers me about this song is the lyrics. Is this song supposed to be about Edge's daughter? Then why have we got references to oral sex in there??? The line "And I kneel, cos I want you some more" is that not a reference to oral sex? Sounds a bit pervy to me!:wink:

rjhbonovox said:
The only thing that bothers me about this song is the lyrics. Is this song supposed to be about Edge's daughter? Then why have we got references to oral sex in there??? The line "And I kneel, cos I want you some more" is that not a reference to oral sex? Sounds a bit pervy to me!:wink:

Well, AB was full of oral sex allusions/metaphors, so it would fit with Bono's, er, enthusiasm for the activity.

I would guess that by "kneeling" Bono means praying/hoping for the best for Edge's daughter.

Last edited:
Judah said:

Well, AB was full of oral sex allusions/metaphors, so it would fit with Bono's, er, enthusiasm for the activity.

Yeah but if he's singing about Edge's daughter, I mean sounds a bit dodgy to me. I suppose Bono is using the kneeling term in this song in a completely different context than he did on Achtung Baby, errrr well I would hope so anyway!:wink:

Lancemc said:
I think "celebrity" makes perfect sense. :shrug:

I agree. To me, the use is the word "celebrity" is a bit of self deprecation on bono's part. He's reminding himself that he shouldn't be "too good" at this fake persona and stay true to himself (yourself).

I don't know. This is just what I have always felt from this lyric and I love this line.

Peace.

It definitely is «like smiling, crying, and celebrity».

I like those lyrics and they make perfect sense to me.

I think Bono can be very good at both three of them (I have noticed situations when he had) and I think that all of them have occasionally brought some kind of discomfort to him. Would you find it silly if I told you that he is shy?
I have been "studying" this matter for some time, but this still is only my opinion.

Last edited:
At first I agreed and thought: "Hey, he said celerity, whatever that means" Then I listened to OOTS from the iPod announcement convention thing. That's the clearest "b" sound in history. Sorry buddy.

U2DMfan said:
Also, that is probably the worst line on the album. Like anyone can relate to being a celebrity.

ummmmmmm have u thought that maybe bono relates to celebrity? he's not writing with us, the general public, in mind

quadcaster said:

ummmmmmm have u thought that maybe bono relates to celebrity? he's not writing with us, the general public, in mind

Of course Bono relates to being a celebrity and OF COURSE, he writes with the general public in mind, are you kidding?

In the context of this song, which was specifically at one time or another about Edge's kid, or Bono's children, he changed the lyrics to be more universal, so they would relate to the listener more, get it?

So tossing a line in about not getting too get at celebrity, is, how should I say? Distant from most ALL of the people listening to it.

So, if you want to pretend that Bono writes from his own perspective and doesn't pay attention to how the listener will perceive it, then you are fooling yourself. He writes from his own persepctive and then augments the lyrics so that they aren't so nailed down to his own experience.

Some songs are more personal, and like the loss of his father, many people can relate to Sometimes...., so that's not a stretch or a reach, wondering how to relate to getting good at celebrity, is just.....well ridiculous.

Sorry, I just think Bono's lyrics lately have been average at best. But they fit the music that they are trying to write, I guess.

It's not a big deal anyhow, it's a good song, and it's only one line, but I was speaking more to the song and how it relates on a universal basis, and how Bono has done this before, many times. If he was going for a first-person specific song, he would have written the song completely differently, the whole idea of the song is that you can't really pin down who the "you" is in the song. It's supposed to be about alot of things, and so it was written to be a lot of things, for the listener.

Don't get too good at crying because most people who do this alot are fakes

Don't get too good at smiling because most people who do this alot are fakes

Don't get too good at celebrity because most people who do this are fakes

I don't think the sense of it all is the problem. Bottome line----The word celebrity just sounds awkward coming out of his mouth at that moment of the song.

On a side note, whoever said that Bono is using the word celebrity as sort of a self deprecating moment was spot on.

You guys are the best. Not only do you make up your own interpretations of the lyrics, you now actually rewrite them to suit your own ears as well! heheheh great stuff......crining & celerity indeed!

"Celerity" would be bizaare really,no?
been listening over and over to OOTS in the car lately...I just love it...
don't forget that the next line is 'some people got way too much confidence baby', which makesa heck of a lot more sense if the line is 'celebrity' than 'rapidity of motion', imho.

I just love what gets captured in this song...yeah, I agree that the celebrity line is one that adds a more first-person note, self-referential and self-deprecatory at once perhaps.
And I know the theorizing has been that in part the piece is for/about/inspired by bono's goddaughter or his own daughters, but that complex of lyrics with the "some things you shouldn't get too good at" list has a universal feel of advice given to your children. That maudlin or imbalance is best avoided. That aspiring to celebrity...the mere fact of being 'famous'...is not a great goal. I think that's something many parents can relate to, with our celebrity-focused culture.
And it calls up nicely one of the other themes in the song--the please accept yourself message.
I just love the "I kneel cuz I want you some more" lines and it reminds me much more of the 'freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head' line than the 'on your knees boy' AB stuff! Especially with the 'oh-no' chorus, it totally puts me in mind of how you get at floor level with a child. Sit behind them as they are doing something and just want to inhale them you love them so much!
They steal right under your door, surprising you with how wonderful you find them...that feeling I recall and still experience with my kids of being sort of breathlessly in parental love with them...

cheerio all...

Last edited:
U2DMfan said:

Of course Bono relates to being a celebrity and OF COURSE, he writes with the general public in mind, are you kidding?

In the context of this song, which was specifically at one time or another about Edge's kid, or Bono's children, he changed the lyrics to be more universal, so they would relate to the listener more, get it?

So tossing a line in about not getting too get at celebrity, is, how should I say? Distant from most ALL of the people listening to it.

So, if you want to pretend that Bono writes from his own perspective and doesn't pay attention to how the listener will perceive it, then you are fooling yourself. He writes from his own persepctive and then augments the lyrics so that they aren't so nailed down to his own experience.

Some songs are more personal, and like the loss of his father, many people can relate to Sometimes...., so that's not a stretch or a reach, wondering how to relate to getting good at celebrity, is just.....well ridiculous.

Sorry, I just think Bono's lyrics lately have been average at best. But they fit the music that they are trying to write, I guess.

It's not a big deal anyhow, it's a good song, and it's only one line, but I was speaking more to the song and how it relates on a universal basis, and how Bono has done this before, many times. If he was going for a first-person specific song, he would have written the song completely differently, the whole idea of the song is that you can't really pin down who the "you" is in the song. It's supposed to be about alot of things, and so it was written to be a lot of things, for the listener.

i honestly believe though that this song is from the heart, its as though bono is saying to his own kids "look, im a really famous guy but dont let that control your life, dont think your better then everybody else cause ur dads bono from U2"

thats just what i think, its probs one of the most honest songs on the whole album....

celebrity is a job. getting too good at your job is possible. lyrics dont have to apply to EVERYONE to be up there. if i wrote a song about how i didnt like my shoes, no one could really relate to that (well, ok, maybe some people) but that doesnt disqualify it as a good song.

if you try to make music that is 'relevant' to everyone, that wont be 'your' music and it will just go to show that youre a pretty ordinary person. whyd we listen to things we could figure out by ourselves?:eyebrow:

Also, another thought about not getting good at celebrity that Bono might be getting at: he's saying even though he's famous and rich, he won't forget he's also a father.

Actually, now that I've heard it with headphones, there's definitely a "b" in there. I've just been using crappy speakers is all.

U2DMfan said:
from U2.com :

Some things you shouldn’t get too good at
Like smiling, crying and celebrity

I never doubted that, of course I have been wrong on lyrics before.

Totally agree. I love the album but I really dislike the lyrics. Bono's voice sounds great, but lyrically, he just mailed it in this time around. These are some of the cheesiest lines he's ever written.

Back
Top Bottom