A few questions about the Elevation 10/10/01 S.Bend show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salty72

The Fly
I missed the webcast and I'm not really into collecting VCDs, the South Bend Elevation show is one of my favorite ones to listen to. Some questions I have about the show are: Were the houselights on when U2 took the stage for Beautiful Day? Were the houselights on when they did Elevation for the encore? Did the entire band play at the tip of the heart for Angel Of Harlem? I'm just curious.

Ahhhh, the South Bend show. :drool: I remember like it was yesterday. I wish it was tomorrow!!!!!

The house lights were on when the band walked out, but then once they got into Beautiful Day, they faded down and then Beautiful Day looked like it did at every show.

Elevation was played with the house lights OFF. The stage was dark when the intro remix was played, then the spotlights came on when the band walked out. When they kicked into the song, the lights got really bright. My opinion was that this song didn't sit so comfortably at the end of the set. And it must've been there's too, because they opening every show after that with Elevation.

Angel of Harlem began with just Bono and the Edge, and they were actually standing behind Larry, playing to the people with rear view seats. Very generous of them. Adam and Larry came in on the 2nd verse, and they were not anywhere near the heart. Adam stayed perfectly still by his amp. But I remember Bono and Edge were running, jumping, skipping if you will, all over the stage and the heart. It was the energetic highpoint of the show.

Also....the venue was so small that the tip of the heart was like 10 feet from the sound booth. There was barely enough room for a small number of fans to stand at the tip of the heart. It was probably a 10,000 seater.....really small to see U2, but it was good to see them in such an intimate setting. The first time I saw them was at Ohio Stadium with 50,000+ others.

During walk on, when the firemen and police came onstage, Bono led them around the heart. The fireman shook hands with the people along the heart. At the end of the show, U2 left the stage and the firemen were still on the stage, and everyone stayed and applauded for probably 10 minutes to the firemen. After leaving the venue, we were all cheering the firemen so much that I almost forgot I had just seen U2.

Great show, my 3rd of Elevation. Liked it better than Indy, not as well as Columbus. I was miserably sick at Notre Dame show, and so was my buddy. I couldn't sing along, cause it hurt. So sad! :no:

I was also there and I agree with acrobats assessment. Overall a good show but Elevation did not work in the encore. I believe the band had decided to go with the Elevation opener during soundcheck but then changed their mind again before the show. I think their initial instincts were correct and as acrobat pointed out, Elevation opened the remainder of the tour.

Also, regarding Beautiful Day. They came on with the houselights on and they remained on until the break in the song as was done for the break in Elevation. What was different is that the house lights were on AND they had the bright spots going off during the main chorus. Also, during the break the house lights went off in 2 separate phases, causing it to get dark a bit more slowly. Check out the DVD of it, you can see if for yourself.

Last edited:
I'm just adding worthless comments here, but oh well....

I remember the lights being on for Beautiful Day, but I had totally forgotten if they were on or off for Elevation. I was too excited too see them again I think. But yeah, it was amazing being in such a small venue. This was my first U2 GA experience, and I was in the 2nd row in front of Edge. God, what a blast!

Back
Top Bottom