A double CD - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2006, 12:21 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 07:12 AM
A double CD

DO you guys think that U2 has the balls to ever realease a double CD?

Old 05-06-2006, 12:28 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:12 AM
What do you mean? A cd with two discs? Coz they've already done it 3 times with the two greatest hits cds plus b-sides and with HTDAAB with the cd+dvd+book. Or don't those count in your book?!?

Old 05-06-2006, 02:04 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by hcbiggs2002
What do you mean? A cd with two discs? Coz they've already done it 3 times with the two greatest hits cds plus b-sides and with HTDAAB with the cd+dvd+book. Or don't those count in your book?!?
I think what titans means is a double album, not a two-disc compilation. In other words, something like Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti or Pink Floyd's The Wall. And as for the original question, no. U2 appear to think that any track listing above 12 songs is Very Bad™, so I doubt we'll ever see anything like that from them.
Old 05-06-2006, 02:21 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

U2 appear to think that any track listing above 12 songs is Very Bad™, so I doubt we'll ever see anything like that from them.
Except for Rattle & Hum! Although some of it was live versions of already written songs!

Yeah I don't know why they're stuck to this 11 or 12 track formula? Not that I'm complaining much as long as the music is good.

But a 2 disc opus like the genius that is Stadium Arcadium would be good indeed.
Old 05-06-2006, 02:21 PM   #5
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:12 AM
I don't really see U2 releasing a double disc album. Rattle and Hum was pretty ballsy though, with its 17 tracks.
Old 05-06-2006, 02:25 PM   #6
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
Except for Rattle & Hum! Although some of it was live versions of already written songs!
that's true.

so much for 'ballsy' -- Rattle and Hum has just been castrated
Old 05-06-2006, 02:30 PM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier

Well, I love Rattle & Hum sometimes more than many other U2 albums.. but I wouldn't call it ballsy.

Now... Achtung, Zooropa & Pop on the other hand..
Old 05-06-2006, 03:37 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

They made Rattle and Hum and look how that got received. I'd rather have 11 good songs than 20+ and get filler in between.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:16 PM   #9
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Re: A double CD

Quote:
Originally posted by thetitans2k
DO you guys think that U2 has the balls to ever realease a double CD?
What does having balls have to do with it?

Most double albums suck and have so much filler they're hard to listen to. Most double albums are do to ego and stupidity rather than balls...
Old 05-06-2006, 09:37 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:12 AM
Re: Re: A double CD

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

What does having balls have to do with it?

Most double albums suck and have so much filler they're hard to listen to. Most double albums are do to ego and stupidity rather than balls...
Well, Pink Floyd's The Wall is outselling all of U2's albums on amazon.com.

I think to have a successful double album (like The Wall), the album has to have a plot to it (e.g. a rock opera).
It is a risky move however, and not U2's style.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:34 PM   #11
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 06:12 PM
Re: Re: Re: A double CD

Quote:
Originally posted by ntalwar

Of course, that might have something to do with the fact ex-Pink Floyd members are currently touring and U2 are not.

(Also, I honestly don't see why The Wall is so popular. I love Pink Floyd, but The Wall is easily my least favourite album by them. I'd definitely say it's a good example of a double album laden with so much filler that it becomes unlistenable.)

Quote:
I think to have a successful double album (like The Wall), the album has to have a plot to it (e.g. a rock opera).
I'd agree with that. It's hard to make a good, cohesive double album, and even harder if you aren't thematically linking it together somehow.

And I hate to think how long U2 would take to make a double album. They had a chance to make one back in 1987 and they didn't, so I don't see it happening today. We'd be lucky to get even more than an hour's worth of music on an album.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-06-2006, 10:48 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:12 AM
No offense to Floyd fans but I stole my mom's The Wall CD to put on my iPod and couldn't even get past the first half of Disc 1. Not my cup of tea, I guess. I'll never see the attraction.

On Topic: I'm fine with just a regular length CD by the boys. They haven't failed me yet.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:50 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:12 PM
I think that the material would have to be excellent, and in abundance for them to ever release a double album.

U2 is the kind of band that takes 3 years to make a single album...much less a double.

I doubt we'll ever see a double album.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:58 AM   #14
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Re: Re: Re: A double CD

Quote:

That has a lot to do with pot and the Wizard of Oz.

Quote:

Ok but like I said there are very few...very few.

The only other "succesful" double album I can think of, off the top of my head, post 80's is Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie, but that one really only had about one disc's worth of good songs.

As far as risk not being U2's style, U2 has taken a lot of risk's in their career. Currently their career isn't that risky, the few risks they do take are minor but they still take them.

Let's be honest U2 could be a lot lot safer...

They could be doing greatest hits tours with no political messages and be selling out stadiums if they really wanted to...it's a scary thought but true.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:21 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Re: Re: Re: A double CD

Quote:

They could be doing greatest hits tours with no political messages and be selling out stadiums if they really wanted to...it's a scary thought but true.
Hell I think doing a tour with no political messages would be a risk for them. Every tour has had some sort of political message, and it's part of what's made U2's live show so successful. It would be weird so see a U2 show without politics (would mean no Bullet ). But I'd love it if they would drop the political stuff for a tour and just focused solely on the music.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:37 AM   #16
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A double CD

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip

Hell I think doing a tour with no political messages would be a risk for them. Every tour has had some sort of political message, and it's part of what's made U2's live show so successful. It would be weird so see a U2 show without politics (would mean no Bullet ). But I'd love it if they would drop the political stuff for a tour and just focused solely on the music.
True...

But the reason I say it was a risk is this;

A lot of their "religious" audience were pissed off about their COEXIST message. Many of their conservative audience don't like the Bullet, LAPOE, SBS trilogy. And many could do without the ONE campaign...

Yes this is what makes U2, but they could be a lot bigger without it...
Old 05-07-2006, 07:44 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:12 PM
Why were they pissed off about the COEXIST thing?

On the subject of a double album, I think if U2 continue making music for a long time they'll eventually go through some phase and think 'fuck it let's just make a double', sadly it'll have got to the point where people are a little less than interested.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:47 AM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Achtung_Bebe
I don't really see U2 releasing a double disc album. Rattle and Hum was pretty ballsy though, with its 17 tracks.
Rattle And Hum was a double album. Like London Calling, Exile On Main Street, Blonde On Blonde and Electric Ladyland were. They came out in the vinyl era and were double albums then. OK, so it became a single CD, but originally it was a double album.

And as for the original question: I hope U2 stays ballsy enough that they edit their output to get a single disc of good material instead of a double disc with lots of so-so material.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:48 AM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:12 AM
Re: Re: Re: Re: A double CD

Quote:
That has a lot to do with pot and the Wizard of Oz.
No, that's Dark Side Of The Moon.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:03 AM   #20
War Child

Local Time: 07:12 AM
If they release a double CD, i can't wait for the setlist party.... 22/24 new songs + their old songs, the whinning brigade will be on fire.