A DiamondPrediction re One Of america's Greatest Pastime's-BASEBALL-

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RIGHTEOUSNESS FOR
RIGHTEOUSNESS SAKES occured this evening..

DB9

------------------
"...The big guy is made of STEEL." - Bono as we stood together on stage at Boston #4, June 9th, 2001.

---
If curious click
links for
Bono/Dimon-Bos.4 Story
and Photos..

http://www.arizonaautoweb.com/bono/

http://members.aol.com/diamondbruno9/

[This message has been edited by Diamond The U2 Patriot (edited 11-04-2001).]

speedracer,

Do not even attempt to make a case that the Yankees are not fully involved in the business of buying the best talent money can buy. Give me a break.

I will break it down for you. Pitching wins championships. Half of the Yankees playoff pitching rotation comes from very highly paid former aces of other teams' pitching staffs. Clemens and Mussina are just two players, but they influence the outcome more than any other players on the field. You are pointing to Jeter, but there is no way Jeter has a greater impact on a season than a pitcher.

I used to believe that baseball was a game, but over the past few years, it has become a disgraceful business. There is no salary cap in place to stop big market teams like the Yankees from spending their way to being an elite team. Let's be clear - the Yankees are better at the business of baseball than other teams. I certainly respect their heart and determination, but I do not think their heart would help them if they had a mediocre pitching staff. Do you?

I am not suggesting that baseball abolish free agency. I am just saying that most of what you are watching has been tainted by the greed of free agency. I am a bigger fan of player-team loyalty than of the business of baseball.

AJ

You people are evil and need to burn in hell!

and you're stupid! Clemens is pitching tonight. Its not going to be pretty when he's done with you.

------------------
"Things will not be the same in this city for us." -Bono, Dublin, February 1980

Originally posted by sharky:
Clemens is pitching tonight. Its not going to be pretty when he's done with you.

I don't think there's anything even remotely pretty about Roger clemens and his 39-year-old chunky self.

Curt Schilling is way better anyways. Go D-Backs!

------------------
Change is the only constant

Originally posted by sharky:
You people are evil and need to burn in hell!

and you're stupid! Clemens is pitching tonight. Its not going to be pretty when he's done with you.

Sharybutt-
This is YOUR DADDY here..
"over my knee young lady"..

Now go to your room..
"and-Shut it"!--

You can come out after the game is OVER...

Love
Diamond

------------------
"...The big guy is made of STEEL." - Bono as we stood together on stage at Boston #4, June 9th, 2001.

---
If curious click
links for
Bono/Dimon-Bos.4 Story
and Photos..

http://www.arizonaautoweb.com/bono/

http://members.aol.com/diamondbruno9/

[This message has been edited by Diamond The U2 Patriot (edited 11-04-2001).]

Originally posted by Hawk269:
speedracer,

Do not even attempt to make a case that the Yankees are not fully involved in the business of buying the best talent money can buy. Give me a break.

I will break it down for you. Pitching wins championships. Half of the Yankees playoff pitching rotation comes from very highly paid former aces of other teams' pitching staffs. Clemens and Mussina are just two players, but they influence the outcome more than any other players on the field. You are pointing to Jeter, but there is no way Jeter has a greater impact on a season than a pitcher.

I used to believe that baseball was a game, but over the past few years, it has become a disgraceful business. There is no salary cap in place to stop big market teams like the Yankees from spending their way to being an elite team. Let's be clear - the Yankees are better at the business of baseball than other teams. I certainly respect their heart and determination, but I do not think their heart would help them if they had a mediocre pitching staff. Do you?

I am not suggesting that baseball abolish free agency. I am just saying that most of what you are watching has been tainted by the greed of free agency. I am a bigger fan of player-team loyalty than of the business of baseball.

AJ

AJ, could you please be more condescending? I don't feel humiliated enough.

Five-sevenths of Arizona's starting rotation were aces from other teams, compared with only four-sevenths of the Yankees' rotation. So if you weigh starting pitchers that much more heavily than the position players, then by your argument the D-Backs are even bigger mercenaries than the Yankees.

But my argument was that the position players are just as important as the players, and in that respect the Yankees are really no worse than the D-Backs or any other team. And, of course, Mariano Rivera is entirely a product of the Yankees organization.

I think what you're really upset about is that two of the Yankees' spots in their starting rotation are essentially a revolving door of quality free agents (David Wells, David Cone, Roger Clemens, Mike Mussina, etc). But this year, they were matched in the high-priced free agent starting pitcher department by the D-Backs.

Originally posted by Diamond The U2 Patriot:
and we were sexier too..
DB9

I'll agree on that point. Roger Clemens (while still a great pitcher) has gotten so tubby it's embarrassing. All of Boston cheered when he whiffed at a Curt Schilling pitch and nearly landed on his rear.

Back
Top Bottom