A Couple Years Later...Bomb is Forgettable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfwill23

War Child
The first time I saw U2 was ZooTV in Las Vegas, 1992. I did not like U2 at the time and went to see Public Enemy. But when U2 took the stage, they blew me away. The next day I bought Achtung.

Then came Zooropa and Pop and U2 started to doubt themselves. Now, they're putting out dentist office music that rivals the Goo Goo Dolls.

As for Bomb, it stinks really. The only truly good song (a song that you'll listen to in 10 years and just go, wow-like almost ALL of Achtung) is City of Blinding Lights. That song is close to Streets and is brilliant.

However, the rest of the album is weak (at best), containing whiny songs that are easily forgettable.

1. Vertigo-Fun song, but c'mon, this song will not stand the test of time.
2. Miracle Drug-A whiny, annoying tune. I have started to cringe when listning to it.
3. SYCMIOYO-The tune and lyrics (including title) feel clunky and forced. The only thing saving this one is the opera and the subject matter.
4. LAPOE-So so song. Edge sounds cool but other than that, it's just kind of lame. Even stinks in concert.
5. COBL-Amazing song. This song is a timeless classic. Wow.
6. ABOY-'A love song to The Who?' Pu-lease! The song is cheesy and a weak attempt at a rock song.
7. AMAAW-Now we're getting into the painful part of the record. I'd rather listen to Paris Hilton's new single than this turd. What the hell were they thinking?
8. Crumbs-Oh my gosh, this is the worst ever. Talk about whiny! Yes, Africa needs help. But don't bother me with that in your music! And if you do, at least make a good song! It hurts me that this song made the final cut. (Especially when Mercy didn't!)
9. OSC-Forgettable atmospheric tune.
10. OOTS-Great song. Not quite on par with COBL, but a great tune.
11. Yaweh-Yawn.

I know they're getting older, but it's a shame to sit down and realize that this band doesn't have a lot of gas left in the tank. I hope with the new album they go off and try some new things. I don't think records should be left-overs from other albums but rather an cohesive experience from start to finish.

Thanks for the good tunes U2 and I hope the next one is something memorable. Best of luck.

wolfwill23 said:

1. Vertigo-Fun song, but c'mon, this song will not stand the test of time.
This is why I always say that Vertigo is so underrated, it is only seen as a rock song, but I think its more then that. I never get tired of that song, it is powerful and Bono's "feel" part is amazing.

wolfwill23 said:

3. SYCMIOYO-The tune and lyrics (including title) feel clunky and forced. The only thing saving this one is the opera and the subject matter.

One of Bonos best moment to show where he shows that there is no other singer in this world that can sing with such a feeling, soul and passion. And Edge is playing guitar grand, this makes this song to one of their greatest.

wolfwill23 said:

7. AMAAW-Now we're getting into the painful part of the record. I'd rather listen to Paris Hilton's new single than this turd. What the hell were they thinking?

Don't you ever name U2 and Paris Hilton in the same line :madspit:

wolfwill23 said:

8. Crumbs-Oh my gosh, this is the worst ever. Talk about whiny! Yes, Africa needs help. But don't bother me with that in your music! And if you do, at least make a good song! It hurts me that this song made the final cut. (Especially when Mercy didn't!)

U2 should write songs about anything that they want, its your choice if you want to listen to it or not. And why not sing about Africa, just as people sing about Bush, war and other things that they think is wrong?

wolfwill23 said:

I know they're getting older, but it's a shame to sit down and realize that this band doesn't have a lot of gas left in the tank. I hope with the new album they go off and try some new things. I don't think records should be left-overs from other albums but rather an cohesive experience from start to finish.

The funny thing is that people did said nearöy the same thinga about AB when it weas released. Zooropa, Pop and ATYCLB.

Which album is forgettable? The Bomb? What the hell is that? Never heard of it.

:wink: :D

I agree with you with regard to some of the tunes, but Vertigo, COBL and Sometimes you cant make it on your own are up there with the best U2 songs ever.

Vertigo, Sometimes, COBL and OOTS are the songs from this album that will stand the test of time. The rest of it is good, but doesn't have lasting potential on me. AMAAW I'm quite fond of these days, and the acoustic version of Yahweh can't be beat. Miracle Drug feels forced to me. Love and Peace or Else is just not that strong of a song. ABOY... I like it, but I just think of it as Vertigo's less attractive little brother. Crumbs... bleh. One step closer simply is what it is, a short, beautiful lullaby of sorts. Fast Cars, though not officially an album track, always will be track 12 in my eyes, and it rocks my socks!

I feel about HTDAAB 2 years later the same way I feel about all albums.... Some songs are classics that I will love forever, some songs not so much.

Dude, have you listened to Fast Cars??? It's better than all those songs including COBL! Just my opinion.

I really enjoyed the album when i bought it, i dont listen to it now but i love some of the songs live!! Personally I enjoy all album songs played live a hell of a lot more! The edge with his "edgey" gutair solos, bono puts extra words in ! love it all.

wolfwill23 said:

i usually skip crumbs, so i kinda agree with you. and i really liked mercy too. however, i can't help but wonder, if mercy had made the final cut, would we enjoy it as much?

wolfwill23 said:

As for Bomb, it stinks really. The only truly good song (a song that you'll listen to in 10 years and just go, wow-like almost ALL of Achtung) is City of Blinding Lights. That song is close to Streets and is brilliant.

Thanks for the good tunes U2 and I hope the next one is something memorable. Best of luck.

Oooooh controversial. Are you allowed to critisize a U2 album on here? Actually though I would say that the bomb, while being way below U2's best as is ATYCLB, the albums are still worth a listen. I've listened recently and up until All Because of You crap the album aint bad but takes a big downturn after that with only OOTS and to a lesser extent Yahweh being worthwhile. The same seems to happen with ATYCLB, up until the crappy "no better than a b-side" Wild Honey the albums ok, but as soon as you get Wild Honey and the goddamn awful Peace on Earth shite its skipping tracks time again. Only the wonderful When I Look At the World and New York save it before it again goes tits up with another awful song called Grace. So thats the deal with U2 these days, there albums contain less and less tracks that are worth listening to and more and more use of the Next button on the cd remote!:wink:

When AB came out a lot of people thought that it's all finished for U2 - two years later they were at the top of the world in Japan on tha last stop of the tour and everybody was talking about AB as of masterpiece...

HTDAAB came out, a lot of people said it was all over for U2, a lot of people loved the album..two months later still same people said it was lame, a lot of people who loved it and said it was maybe the best ever came down from the high and said that it wasn't bad but it wasn't sooo good eithr...

two year later - only few people say that HTDAAB say that it's exceptional while majority agree it's mediocre and a lot of people think it's at the bottom of U2's work up to date....

I listend to the whole album for 10 days after I bought it and never again...nowdays I don't listen to any song from that album...
Im too old? Too indie? It's too elevator and mainstream? Give me My Morning Jacket, Arcade Fire, Interpol, Decemberists, Hard-Fi or Block Party any day over this....or AB, Zooropa or POP for that matter
:)

Re: Re: A Couple Years Later...Bomb is Forgettable

rjhbonovox said:

Oooooh controversial. Are you allowed to critisize a U2 album on here? Actually though I would say that the bomb, while being way below U2's best as is ATYCLB, the albums are still worth a listen. I've listened recently and up until All Because of You crap the album aint bad but takes a big downturn after that with only OOTS and to a lesser extent Yahweh being worthwhile. The same seems to happen with ATYCLB, up until the crappy "no better than a b-side" Wild Honey the albums ok, but as soon as you get Wild Honey and the goddamn awful Peace on Earth shite its skipping tracks time again. Only the wonderful When I Look At the World and New York save it before it again goes tits up with another awful song called Grace. So thats the deal with U2 these days, there albums contain less and less tracks that are worth listening to and more and more use of the Next button on the cd remote!:wink:

When I Look At The World!!!! :drool: :drool:

The best U2 song in 6 years...for me of course

Another thing I find amazing about this bands attitude these days is their choice of what is a good song and not. I remember reading a few years back, when the 2nd best of was coming out, about how The Edge wasn't sure about The Fly being a good song anymore. And then there putting out crap like Grace, A Man and A Woman and Peace on Earth! Mmmmm now what is the best song out of AMAAW and The Fly? Mmmm now thats a toughie!:wink:

rjhbonovox said:
Another thing I find amazing about this bands attitude these days is their choice of what is a good song and not. I remember reading a few years back, when the 2nd best of was coming out, about how The Edge wasn't sure about The Fly being a good song anymore. And then there putting out crap like Grace, A Man and A Woman and Peace on Earth! Mmmmm now what is the best song out of AMAAW and The Fly? Mmmm now thats a toughie!:wink:

While I disagree about your feelings about the last 2 albums, I do agree that U2 are bad judges of their own catalog. The Best of 1990-2000 is proof of that.

Marko said:

two year later - only few people say that HTDAAB say that it's exceptional while majority agree it's mediocre and a lot of people think it's at the bottom of U2's work up to date....

You only have to look at the last album poll on this site (where it finished joint 3rd) to realise you're talking nonsense.

roy said:

You only have to look at the last album poll on this site (where it finished joint 3rd) to realise you're talking nonsense.

True, I consider HTDAAB average compared to U2 work overall (which is actually quite high in general), but a lot of people love it. The detractors are just very very vocal.

Vertigo will stand the test of time b/c it's been immortalized by Apple and the IPOD. I think it's also gotten the most exposure out of a lot of U2 songs. That can't hurt. You can't beat that to be honest. People remember "big" songs and Vertigo is a big song sort of like the U Can't Touch This of this generation!

Re: Re: A Couple Years Later...Bomb is Forgettable

rjhbonovox said:

LOL, I like your opinion. You're basically saying you like 8 of 11 tracks on each album. That's a pretty good ratio I think. I can't stand One Step Closer or Peace On Earth either.

HTDAAB is their most weakest album ever. Just a copy-paste job from ATYCLB. It sounds like ATYCLB leftovers and the quality of songs is below average by U2 standards.

City Of Blinding Lights is, neverthless easily their best song of the noughties and their best one since the Sunday Bloody Sunday of the 90s: Please.

The rest of the album is filled with mid tempo cliches, ballads and silly canned iPod tunes like Vertigo and All Because of You.

Production is embarrasing to say the least, lyrics goes nowhere, filled with cliche rhymes, random words and cheap attempt at poetry.

Even the cover art is their worst ever, the band looking like KISS pretending to be "Punk Rock from Venus" while the album itself is their most lame, boring and uninspired ever. Playing it safe for the bucks, that's all.

This album in the end was just marketing, suspicious reviews from Rolling Stones (How many friends U2 have of that magazine?) and the obligatory Grammy Awards bulls***. But don't forget this album got the worst ever fans reviews on amazon.com, and that means a lot. On a US page (don't forget that US people usually don't like Zooropa and Pop and love ATYCLB), the worst reviews where given to the failed Bomb.

That say it all

wolfwill23 said:

4. LAPOE-So so song. Edge sounds cool but other than that, it's just kind of lame. Even stinks in concert.

How can you say that

Great live moment.

roy said:

No I'm NOT!!!
Statistics is mother of all lies!!! :) If the pool includes less than 1000 people questioned than It can not be valid...

*I'm just trying to validate myself*

It finished tied for 3rd place with Pop on a site as 90's biased as this, almost 2 years after it came out. :hmm: You'd think it'd end up at the bottom end given the amount of critisizing it gets.

Now, it's not better than their best work (JT, AB, UF, War) but I think it beats anything else they made since 1991. More even than Zooropa, more consistent than ATYCLB and more focused than Pop. I'd put it in the "second tier" work with ATYCLB and Zooropa close behind it.

ponkine said:
On a US page (don't forget that US people usually don't like Zooropa and Pop and love ATYCLB), the worst reviews where given to the failed Bomb.

That say it all

Ooh, that is generalizing in the worst way. I think whether you like Pop has nothing to do about your country of origin, but when you were introduced to U2. The older fans (for the most part) think Pop was rushed and underproduced while a lot of younger and mid-age (30-35) fans think that Pop is a masterpiece and think that ATYCLB is a bit to adult-oriented.

HTDAAB is a very good album, but not a masterpiece. Like ATYCLB the songs are well crafted, but sometimes there's more craftsmanship than substance. I think Rick Rubin needs to loosen U2 up a bit on this next album.

U2girl said:
It finished tied for 3rd place with Pop on a site as 90's biased as this, almost 2 years after it came out. :hmm: You'd think it'd end up at the bottom end given the amount of critisizing it gets.

Now, it's not better than their best work (JT, AB, UF, War) but I think it beats anything else they made since 1991. More even than Zooropa, more consistent than ATYCLB and more focused than Pop. I'd put it in the "second tier" work with ATYCLB and Zooropa close behind it.

MAJA!!!
You are wrong....come on.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom