A Couple Years Later...Bomb is Forgettable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
carrotflowers said:

I could name about one hundred albums that are more thought provoking, more innovative, more emotional and just better.

I couldn't.

Take Arcade Fire's 'funeral' for example, this albums walks all over HTDAAB.

.......If the singer could sing instead of just wailing it might have a chance of doing that.

and I'm sorry war child but this generation doesn't respond to those sorts of things. They see through things like that, they see safe, inoffensive things all day on their tv's, they hear it all the time from their politicians.

BWAHAHAHA!!!! :lol: This generation responded to Nirvana. :wink: Look what sells. That's what they respond to. And it's crap.

I said it before, I'm not after innovation and honestly, I don't mind if a band wants to repeat themselves but if they're going to do it, do it better than before. An album like HTDAAB just sounds like the blueprint for a better U2 album like ummmm, gee, I don't know, The Joshua Tree maybe!!

When people say why they dislike something instead of pinning the issue on some arbitrary attribute (such as lack of innovation), everything is easier. So I applaud you. :applaud:

I don't know how you can sit back and listen to this album and feel provoked in anyway about the tragedies going on in the world today.

Maybe I don't want to think about those things when I listen to music. :eyebrow:

I don't know how you can listen to it without feeling cheap because let's face it, you are accepting average material from a band you have spent probably about 400 to 500 dollars on in the past. They are treating their fans like fools when they release crap like this, they basically think they're are so good and their fan-base is so loyal that they can release anything and we'll all swallow it. I refuse to swallow it, I don't care what the hell Bono is doing for the world, if it's so great then leave U2 and become a politician. Don't release sub-par material and pretend you're so sincere about the whole thing. Mediocrity is terrible when it's marketed as sincerity.

Fantastic rant. :yes:

Bono does a lot for the world and that is great, but U2 no longer speak to this generation. I don't go to a concert and think 'yeah!, let's save the world with Bono!' I think 'Yeah, play some of your old stuff when you actually gave a toss about what you sounded like!'.

They speak to me. And I'm part of this generation. They speak to plenty of others too. Just check the sales chart.

Don't sell yourself out just because Bono is a great guy, so what?
Expect more from this band or else they really will think they can release any old crap and we'll swallow it. Search deep within yourself and listen to HTDAAB and tell me you don't feel a little dirty afterwards, a little bit like a corporate hack. After all, all you know is wrong, right?

Nope. I feel fresh as a daisy. :D

We have people who bitch about U2 (which I admit I take part in a couple times a year) and then there's the people who bitch about people bitching about U2. Then we have people like me right now, who bitch about the people who are bitching at the ones bitching about U2. Good times.

doctorwho said:

In YOUR opinion.

I find nothing all that mediocre in a lot of the songs. "Walk On", "Beautiful Day", "Kite", "Vertigo", and "City of Blinding Lights" are not only endearing, but inspirational and amongst U2's best, IMO. And there are fun songs too, like "Elevation" and "All Because of You". I also enjoy some of the more interesting ideas, like "Yahweh" and "When I Look at the World". And then there's the more experimental side, which I utterly adore, like "Love and Peace or Else" and "Fast Cars".

I can rattle off tons of mediocre songs from U2's "classics", but I don't want to turn this into some banal thread about what songs are better than others. However, my point is, what some of you view as the "Holy Grail", others find uninspiring and very mediocre. And therefore, the reverse is also true. I do not find these last two albums mediocre by any means. In fact, I rank HTDAAB as my third favorite U2 album!

when I look at the world :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

the bottom line is!!

Atyclb and Htdaab have been forgotten by the general public!!

both albums have alot of filler songs (most of them have no direction) some people like that stuff (thats ok) both are POP albums !!

U2 ARE NOT THAT GOOD ANYMORE!!
It happens to ever band as they get old!!
even gods like led zeppelin !!:rockon: :rockon:

gherman said:
Why is it we have people here that have never shown their face in this forum... except to bitch about U2?:eyebrow:

where were you 10yrs ago? we were realy positive and upbeat than :)

shaun vox said:
the bottom line is!!

both albums have alot of filler songs (most of them have no direction) some people like that stuff (thats ok) both are POP albums !!

U2 ARE NOT THAT GOOD ANYMORE!!
It happens to ever band as they get old!!
even gods like led zeppelin !!:rockon: :rockon:

why doesen't it happen to Bob Dylan than? He is still good...
and steely dan...
and tom waits...

but generaly you are right - U2, REM, RHCP (yes, I don't like the new album), Pearl Jam (yeah yeah, I'm a big fan, but their albums were better before...althouh I have to admit that the new one is better than last two)..

Last edited:
shaun vox said:
the bottom line is!!

Well maybe you can help them by doing more covers of that material on YouTube.

Or maybe they could do a VW commercial.

Will be Bomb be forgotten, or already is?

First, if U2 was to stop their career at this moment, I believe musical historians would remember them for these albums: War, JT, AB, ATYCLB and HTDAAB.
Both of the latter albums not only have the U2 name stickered across the front, but also a shitload of grammies to go with it.
Considering they are more popular now than ever before, then I think the answer is no way the Bomb will be forgotten, at least in the mainstream and by U2 fans.

Is it commercial and mainstream? Yes it is. Does that make it a bad album? No it doesn´t?

Believe me, I would much rather hear U2 do cutting edge things. I would love to hear a 15 minute wave of sound coming from the Edge. I would love to shit in my pants with music that is not from this world coming from this band.
But at this point, that is not their direction. Is that a bad thing? No, My god, they totally twisted and turned around the mainstream for 10 years (heck, make it 20!!) in the 90´s. Yes, they didn´t reinvent everything, but since they were the biggest band on the planet at that time, they sure did shake things up.

Honestly, I am getting quite tired of people putting U2 in their grave because they are not "cutting edge enough" and "pushing music forward".

Maybe that is why they are doing music like this. Maybe they got tired of being considered the "messiahs" of music.

Mogi said:
Will be Bomb be forgotten, or already is?

First, if U2 was to stop their career at this moment, I believe musical historians would remember them for these albums: War, JT, AB, ATYCLB and HTDAAB.
Both of the latter albums not only have the U2 name stickered across the front, but also a shitload of grammies to go with it.
Considering they are more popular now than ever before, then I think the answer is no way the Bomb will be forgotten, at least in the mainstream and by U2 fans.

Is it commercial and mainstream? Yes it is. Does that make it a bad album? No it doesn´t?

Believe me, I would much rather hear U2 do cutting edge things. I would love to hear a 15 minute wave of sound coming from the Edge. I would love to shit in my pants with music that is not from this world coming from this band.
But at this point, that is not their direction. Is that a bad thing? No, My god, they totally twisted and turned around the mainstream for 10 years (heck, make it 20!!) in the 90´s. Yes, they didn´t reinvent everything, but since they were the biggest band on the planet at that time, they sure did shake things up.

Honestly, I am getting quite tired of people putting U2 in their grave because they are not "cutting edge enough" and "pushing music forward".

Maybe that is why they are doing music like this. Maybe they got tired of being considered the "messiahs" of music.
:up:;)

Have to agree somewhat with Mogi's post. I don't think the Bomb will be forgotten. It seems to have sold a shit load of copies and has been hyped and advertised to death in the media. It has got several glowing reviews from critics and journalists despite several bad ones from fans. Even though it is in my opinion an overall mediocre affair, I don't think it will be easily forgotten!

10 years ago it was the same im affraid to say there was still people bitching about U2s direction then as well. Times havent really changed when it comes to that. Just a different batch of bitchers now then before.

:)

If internet didn't exist now, there wouldn't be such ridiculous comments like these.
Same: if internet existed by the time Achtung Baby was out, the bashing would be so huge - because of stupid opinions - that I don't believe if U2 could go on.

Actually I didn´t mean "No it doesn´t?" Just gotta take off the question mark, kind of changes the meaning.

Anyway, I agree with Aygo too. I think the internet is such a great thing. Brings us all together and all that stuff.

But from what I´ve seen, this is the most psychoanalysed band on the planet. If Bono farted, I could imagine about 30 fans running behind him to gather what he might have "meant" when he dealt that fart.

Yes, I do love to analyse their music and lyrics and progression, digression or whatever. But for the most part, I love to step back and see how the music makes me feel. Not if Adam is using a pick or finger, not if the Edge has one or two notes from another song, not if Bono´s voice sounds like Kermit, not if Larry is not keeping a higher beat.
Just nice to lay back and feel what the music does. And that is why I love this album (AND Pop, AB, UF, Passangers, etc..).
It´s actually a breath of fresh air such a calculated, cynical time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom